A Newbie's Guide to Defense

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Tenuta was lucky that the ACC had a lot of young QBs that couldn't read a defense. Then Matt Ryan came to town as a Senior (as I recall) and absolutely blistered Tenuta's D.
They won because BC held on EVERY down and the refs choked on their whistles

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
The downfall of heavy blitz defenses came with the era of spread offenses. I remember that fateful bowl game against WVU in 2006 when we faced Rich Rods spread offense (could even say Utah in 2005 with Meyers spread). Both of those spread offenses carved up Tenuta’s defenses. You could no longer send 5 or 6 guys routinely against 3 and 4 wide receiver sets without leaving tons of open grass space for the offense to attack. I knew then that Tenuta’s defensive philosophy days were numbered.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
The downfall of heavy blitz defenses came with the era of spread offenses. I remember that fateful bowl game against WVU in 2006 when we faced Rich Rods spread offense (could even say Utah in 2005 with Meyers spread). Both of those spread offenses carved up Tenuta’s defenses. You could no longer send 5 or 6 guys routinely against 3 and 4 wide receiver sets without leaving tons of open grass space for the offense to attack. I knew then that Tenuta’s defensive philosophy days were numbered.
He could have modified his blitzing schemes to overload specific areas of the line, while dropping others into coverage. He just never did.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Tenuta was lucky that the ACC had a lot of young QBs that couldn't read a defense. Then Matt Ryan came to town as a Senior (as I recall) and absolutely blistered Tenuta's D.
That game was enough for me to appreciate when the Falcons drafted him.