A LOT of what if's...

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
OK so I am taking a lot of liberties here, but lets say the following (semi-realistic) set of circumstances occurs:

1) We beat UGA, VT loses to UNC, and we go on to beat FSU in the ACCCG and get to 12-2.

2) The following things also all happen:

Arizona loses to Utah and beats Arizona St
Wisconsin loses to either Iowa or Minnesota
Kansas St loses to Baylor
UCLA loses to either USC or Stanford
Michigan St loses to either Rutgers or Penn St
Ole Miss loses to Miss St.
Ohio St loses Big 10 championship game
Baylor loses to OK St or Texas Tech
TCU loses to Texas or Iowa St (unlikely)
Alabama loses to Auburn

We would certainly be in the top 8 at that point, but my question is... do we get in the playoff?

Miss St would have 1 loss, they would get in, assuming they won the SECCG. If UGA won over them it would certainly help our cause.

Baylor may get in even at 11-2, that would be interesting to see how they chose that if we were coming off 3 straight wins over top 20 teams (and 2 straight over top 10 teams).

FSU would be 12-1, but would not be the ACC champs. Would they still take them over us?

It's about 20 things that have to happen, but do you think we would get in if all of that happened?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, first off, it is pretty hard to get to 12-2 in 13 games. That feat alone would be worthy of a natty in my mind, the first team to ever do it.

Just kidding. If we do win out, our resume will be pretty strong, but I still think we are on the outside looking in. For that to happen, Duke will have taken a third loss. That will give us a couple losses to teams well outside the top 25. I gotta believe there will be some others with a better brag sheet. Still though, being a power 5 conference champ will have us in the discussion. A win over UGAg will be a big feather in our caps, but to be truthful, I think the whole country is expecting and hoping for FSU to finally lose at some point. I mean, they have been dancing in the mine field for quite a while now. A win against them will be more like "well seven other teams have had them on the ropes, they can't come back forever. What is so special about GT?"

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Please nail the chip on the shoulder.

They will not give us a break and we know it.

We need to go and take it.

One play at a time - defiant to the end because no one believed.

Period.

Jay Alexander

Jolly Good Fellow
We need to beat an undefeated FSU team in the ACCCG after beating Ugag, then have Ugag win the SEC championship game. That wouldn't guarantee a bid but it is our best case scenario.

If the committee will put an undefeated FSU team behind a 1 loss Oregon team,anything is possible.

I honestly think they will figure out a way to have 2 SEC teams in the playoff no matter what.