A little scouting report

Pitt97

Georgia Tech Fan
* injuries: this the most injured I've ever seen our team. and that's a long time. injuries everywhere. narduzzi doesn't disclose injuries so no idea who will play. 4/5 top DE's were out last week. he does declare those out for the season: one DE has been declared out for the season along with the 3rd CB. Slovis will play. top WR??? no idea. top 2 and 3 OL? no idea.
* we've been extremely vanilla on offense. narduzzi does this early in the season almost every year. abanikanda is the #1 rusher in the ACC and he's good. but hammond is kind of better and he's definitely out. this game will depend on if you can stop the run, which hasn't been your strong suit. we'll see.
* if you follow pitt, we give up big plays in the passing game. but we stop the run consistently. not this year. we're giving up a lot of big runs. this is b/c we had a number LB defections. poor LB recruiting over time. Dennis is good and the rest are garbage. you'll have some long gains and probably rip off a 60 TD.
* our kicking game is garbage. good punt returner - the guy who had the pick 6 to beat WVU. he had a punt return for a TD last week. it was RI but it was still a great run. was a state qualifier in track. fast guy.
* pass defense is doing good. evidence is we gave up 3 points to Tennessee in the 2nd half of our game. and that was with our 2nd string QB, who could barely walk in the 4th quarter so the defense was on the field most of the half.
* overall: you're going to get a boring game. we'll run on first down 70% of the team for little or no gain. we won't change that throughout the game no matter what. Narduzzi's goal will be to keep running it and keep it close in the 4th quarter with the hope that your DL wears down and we can run you over in the 4th quarter.

what I'd do if was GT: I'd go with zone blocking all day. I'd do inside screens - our DB's are well coached on outside screens. they're smart, experienced, and disciplined. I'd take shots down field on the outside. we play quarters (you should know that by now) and there will be CB's 1:1 on the outside. we have a safety out and the backups will likely miss an assignment. I'd load the box to stop the run b/c we won't go off it no matter what. I'd blitz b/c Slovis isn't terribly mobile - nowhere near KP and nowhere near the pocket presence of KP. I'd also do a lot of misdirection - flea flickers. don't do end arounds as our players are disciplined up front but not on the back end (DB's are told to come up and make plays in the run game) - hence, flea flickers always go to the house against us.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
* injuries: this the most injured I've ever seen our team. and that's a long time. injuries everywhere. narduzzi doesn't disclose injuries so no idea who will play. 4/5 top DE's were out last week. he does declare those out for the season: one DE has been declared out for the season along with the 3rd CB. Slovis will play. top WR??? no idea. top 2 and 3 OL? no idea.
* we've been extremely vanilla on offense. narduzzi does this early in the season almost every year. abanikanda is the #1 rusher in the ACC and he's good. but hammond is kind of better and he's definitely out. this game will depend on if you can stop the run, which hasn't been your strong suit. we'll see.
* if you follow pitt, we give up big plays in the passing game. but we stop the run consistently. not this year. we're giving up a lot of big runs. this is b/c we had a number LB defections. poor LB recruiting over time. Dennis is good and the rest are garbage. you'll have some long gains and probably rip off a 60 TD.
* our kicking game is garbage. good punt returner - the guy who had the pick 6 to beat WVU. he had a punt return for a TD last week. it was RI but it was still a great run. was a state qualifier in track. fast guy.
* pass defense is doing good. evidence is we gave up 3 points to Tennessee in the 2nd half of our game. and that was with our 2nd string QB, who could barely walk in the 4th quarter so the defense was on the field most of the half.
* overall: you're going to get a boring game. we'll run on first down 70% of the team for little or no gain. we won't change that throughout the game no matter what. Narduzzi's goal will be to keep running it and keep it close in the 4th quarter with the hope that your DL wears down and we can run you over in the 4th quarter.

what I'd do if was GT: I'd go with zone blocking all day. I'd do inside screens - our DB's are well coached on outside screens. they're smart, experienced, and disciplined. I'd take shots down field on the outside. we play quarters (you should know that by now) and there will be CB's 1:1 on the outside. we have a safety out and the backups will likely miss an assignment. I'd load the box to stop the run b/c we won't go off it no matter what. I'd blitz b/c Slovis isn't terribly mobile - nowhere near KP and nowhere near the pocket presence of KP. I'd also do a lot of misdirection - flea flickers. don't do end arounds as our players are disciplined up front but not on the back end (DB's are told to come up and make plays in the run game) - hence, flea flickers always go to the house against us.

We exploited the DBs last with Sims passing for 359yds. Problem I’m not sure our OL can handle the blitzes & stunts of your front 7.

If we can bottle the run up like we did vs. UCF then there is a chance, but i don’t trust our OL

kittysniper101

Jolly Good Fellow
Appreciate you stopping by and giving a thorough scouting report. Very curious to see how our team responds to a tumultuous week. With everything we have going on and y'all having a pretty decent team I took the over this week.

slugboy

Staff member
Basically thus lets just score from the 30.

I Guess If You Say So GIF

Pitt97

Georgia Tech Fan
We exploited the DBs last with Sims passing for 359yds. Problem I’m not sure our OL can handle the blitzes & stunts of your front 7.

If we can bottle the run up like we did vs. UCF then there is a chance, but i don’t trust our OL

our DL and blitzes haven't been getting home this year. it's been poor by recent standards. let the county in sacks 2 years in a row. and we rely on the DE's as the point men for pressure and probably 3/5 will be out. at least 2.

you'll score points. the question is, will it be enough? if you can't stop the run, you won't get the ball and that's exactly what narduzzi wants. again, it will be a pretty boring game unless you like 1950's style football.

Appreciate you stopping by and giving a thorough scouting report. Very curious to see how our team responds to a tumultuous week. With everything we have going on and y'all having a pretty decent team I took the over this week.

I don't know the line is for points but you seem to be on the right track. the line for us was like +28 and I think that's absurd. you have the bounce of getting rid of a guy who, it seems to me, the players didn't like. maybe the players have some wind in their sails. I'd bet it's a close game versus a blowout.

even last year, I came on here and said I thought with a few tweaks, it would have been a competitive game. I know it was a blowout but argued that was just a poorly coached team we beat (no offense. but I think you're over being offended if I call collins a poor coach).

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
our DL and blitzes haven't been getting home this year. it's been poor by recent standards. let the county in sacks 2 years in a row. and we rely on the DE's as the point men for pressure and probably 3/5 will be out. at least 2.

you'll score points. the question is, will it be enough? if you can't stop the run, you won't get the ball and that's exactly what narduzzi wants. again, it will be a pretty boring game unless you like 1950's style football.

I don't know the line is for points but you seem to be on the right track. the line for us was like +28 and I think that's absurd. you have the bounce of getting rid of a guy who, it seems to me, the players didn't like. maybe the players have some wind in their sails. I'd bet it's a close game versus a blowout.

even last year, I came on here and said I thought with a few tweaks, it would have been a competitive game. I know it was a blowout but argued that was just a poorly coached team we beat (no offense. but I think you're over being offended if I call collins a poor coach).
Line's Pitt -22, according to this:

Might come out fired up and all, but it's been a tumultuous week. It will be interesting to me to see how it affects our play, one way or another.
And yeah, we're over being offended by calling Collins a poor coach.

Pitt97

Georgia Tech Fan
Line's Pitt -22, according to this:

Might come out fired up and all, but it's been a tumultuous week. It will be interesting to me to see how it affects our play, one way or another.
And yeah, we're over being offended by calling Collins a poor coach.

I just can't see a 22 point win. no one seems sure where the hurricane goes but I doubt it gets to Pittsburgh. if there's a real downpour, then, not, it won't reach 22 at all.

but even so, I don't think it's 22. I think it will be close until the 4th quarter and we'll see what happens. I'm a pitt fan - literally no outcome could possibly surprise me. you could win 72-0 and I'd say, "yeah that's probably fair. I could see that."

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
but even so, I don't think it's 22. I think it will be close until the 4th quarter and we'll see what happens.
The problem with us so far is we have only scored 20 points this year against fbs opponents total. If Pitt is likely to score in the 35-40 range against our defense, we will ah two have an outlier performance on O to keep it close.

Games after a coach is fired can be weird. The fact that our coaches are trying to simplify and let our kids play fast is a good thing. We’ll see how it goes.

Pitt97

Georgia Tech Fan

I love you guys. you probably have no idea how much pitt/gt are friends. so much good vibes. so many similarities. you're our pitt of the south.
The problem with us so far is we have only scored 20 points this year against fbs opponents total. If Pitt is likely to score in the 35-40 range against our defense, we will ah two have an outlier performance on O to keep it close.

Games after a coach is fired can be weird. The fact that our coaches are trying to simplify and let our kids play fast is a good thing. We’ll see how it goes.

new cyooaches are definitely weird. that's what scares me. like I said, no offense but GC was terrible. it can't be worse. PN will try to just run you down. he's no genius so we'll see how it works. Q1 and Q2 will be awful entertainment.

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
I just can't see a 22 point win. no one seems sure where the hurricane goes but I doubt it gets to Pittsburgh. if there's a real downpour, then, not, it won't reach 22 at all.

but even so, I don't think it's 22. I think it will be close until the 4th quarter and we'll see what happens. I'm a pitt fan - literally no outcome could possibly surprise me. you could win 72-0 and I'd say, "yeah that's probably fair. I could see that."

In reference to the line, -22 is fair in my opinion. However, I agree with your sentiment. There is a very high degree of volatility with potential outcomes from this game. I'd imagine there are a lot of tickets on GT ML and a lot of tickets on Pitt ALT spread like -35... sorta like an options straddle where one buys a put and a call betting on a big stock move. Interestingly, 70% of the tickets are on Pitt -22 but 60% of the actual money is on GT +22 which is quite a large disparity.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
In reference to the line, -22 is fair in my opinion. However, I agree with your sentiment. There is a very high degree of volatility with potential outcomes from this game. I'd imagine there are a lot of tickets on GT ML and a lot of tickets on Pitt ALT spread like -35... sorta like an options straddle where one buys a put and a call betting on a big stock move. Interestingly, 70% of the tickets are on Pitt -22 but 60% of the actual money is on GT +22 which is quite a large disparity.
That shows the "sharps" (experienced, big money gamblers) are betting GT. Whoda thunk it. Maybe professional gamblers see CGC the same way as most of our fans.

Pitt97

Georgia Tech Fan

That shows the "sharps" (experienced, big money gamblers) are betting GT. Whoda thunk it. Maybe professional gamblers see CGC the same way as most of our fans.

we aren't going to come out swinging. we're only going to throw when we need to. hence, we're not going to score a ton of points early. it will be close at half time and very likely low scoring. I expect you guys to take more chances than you normally would. and like I said above, that will likely yield positive results. absolutely nothing would surprise me in this game besides a high scoring blowout by us.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
we aren't going to come out swinging. we're only going to throw when we need to. hence, we're not going to score a ton of points early. it will be close at half time and very likely low scoring. I expect you guys to take more chances than you normally would. and like I said above, that will likely yield positive results. absolutely nothing would surprise me in this game besides a high scoring blowout by us.
You know what? I’ll take Boring early. Anything that gives this team some confidence is a good thing.
I’m hoping we come out relaxed with a “nothing to lose” attitude and play with a little bit of intensity we haven’t seen much yet. I am not optimistic, but I’m hopeful. We’re pretty much a crapshoot right now I think.
If I had to guess, I think we will be a lot more run heavy this week than we have been previously. It may well play into your boring first half prediction.
One thing I am certain we can neutralize is your good punt returner. We haven’t shown the ability to execute a punt yet. I suspect we go for it a bunch if we’re anywhere close. If we do decide to punt, your DE will likely lead the team in return yards this week. :cry: