A little pick me up

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
Everything points to UGA getting it done this year. Veteran quarterback, loads of talent on both sides of the ball, ridiculously easy SEC schedule with no Alabama or LSU while Auburn, Florida, and Tennessee all look to be down a bit this year. As for underachieving programs, I have not read the article yet but my money would be on UNC from the ACC, UGA from the SEC, Michigan from the Big Ten. Maybe, FSU and Miami also, don't know.
Wait, isn’t this just a repost that gets said every year for the past 40 years? uGA is a perianal disappointment.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Everything points to UGA getting it done this year. Veteran quarterback, loads of talent on both sides of the ball, ridiculously easy SEC schedule with no Alabama or LSU while Auburn, Florida, and Tennessee all look to be down a bit this year. As for underachieving programs, I have not read the article yet but my money would be on UNC from the ACC, UGA from the SEC, Michigan from the Big Ten. Maybe, FSU and Miami also, don't know.

Preseason champs again. Legends in their own minds.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
Was listening to 680 the fan for some stupid reason a few days ago, and they were talking about how UGA has owned Florida the past few years.

I remember thinking to myself "Wait, didn't Florida BEAT UGA last year? Didn't they go to the SEC championship?".

Delusional. National title is theirs to lose every year.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Wait, isn’t this just a repost that gets said every year for the past 40 years? uGA is a perianal disappointment.
It is but "this year is going to be different... I think" No matter UGA has to beat both Clemson and Florida. Lose one or the other and they are swirling the drain again as there are simply too many elite factories with just as much of an argument come November as a one loss Dwag team. Personally, this sets up perfectly for them. Beat two teams that while good enough to reload lost a huge number of elite players. You do not reload with the caliber of Trevor Lawrence, that Clemson running back whose name escapes me, Kyle Trask and several Gator superstars that have moved on. If Georgia can't do it this year, well, it may not ever happen. Elvis Pressley had a hit song about the mutts situation: "Its Now or Never"

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I’m a huge FL fan this season, Go Gata!
My Florida friends are not optimistic. Their reasoning is that Florida, while plenty deep at most spots and still touted as "Defensive Back U" simply cannot replace players the caliber of Trask, Pitts, and a couple of other NFL caliber stars while UGA pretty much has the entire cast returning. According to them, Trask was the among the best Florida quarterbacks in about 20 years right up there in their reckoning with the sainted Tim Tebow and hugely talented Rex Grossman. He was that good. Pitts, according to them was a once in a generation talent at tight end. He simply cannot be replaced.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Hope springs eternal in Athens. After all just a few years after posting the worst season record in major league baseball history, a team so bad that manager Casey Stengel was moved to mutter: "Is there anyone that can play this game around here?" the "Amazing Mets" not only won the National League but the World Series as well.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
My Florida friends are not optimistic. Their reasoning is that Florida, while plenty deep at most spots and still touted as "Defensive Back U" simply cannot replace players the caliber of Trask, Pitts, and a couple of other NFL caliber stars while UGA pretty much has the entire cast returning. According to them, Trask was the among the best Florida quarterbacks in about 20 years right up there in their reckoning with the sainted Tim Tebow and hugely talented Rex Grossman. He was that good. Pitts, according to them was a once in a generation talent at tight end. He simply cannot be replaced.
Damn

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
UGA-Video-Game-MEME1.jpg
images.jpeg

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I would not put all that much credence in what my friends say. Florida fans are never happy. The perfect season for many of them would be to go 12-0, beat Alabama in the SEC Championship game, beat Notre Dame in the national championship game and fire the coach under the goal posts after the game. They are currently bitching about Mullen being a poor recruiter, complaining about Miami encroaching on their traditional pipeline in Jacksonville, complaining about UGA buying players (like they don't), whining about FSU getting players out of Orlando and Tampa as though the Gators should have first dibs on football talent on the west coast as well. It is what they do.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
My sister went to UF back in Ray Graves's time there. The annual had a picture of Graves and his whole staff looking at the field in surprise and disgust. The caption: "Damn! We've got the ball again!" They were that bad on offense.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
My sister went to UF back in Ray Graves's time there. The annual had a picture of Graves and his whole staff looking at the field in surprise and disgust. The caption: "Damn! We've got the ball again!" They were that bad on offense.
But, Coach Graves is beloved among Florida alumni for leading them out of the wilderness so to speak. Gator Bait had an article a few years ago detailing the most important games, perhaps ten or so, in Gator football history. One of them was Florida beating Tech at Florida on a two point conversion of a late touchdown. One of two alternating quarterbacks was Bobby Dodd Jr. This was about 1960 or 1961. The Gators always had talent but Graves managed to get them to play to their potential and then "Splendid Steve" came along to coach.