A little perspective and time goes a long way

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
GT wins two games GT is suppose to win and then GT is in every game and in a position for a possible win in the fourth Q for the next three games.

ND had an excellent D. I think Duke had almost a better D against GT. This is a big hill to climb for a team replacing so many starters in skill positions. GT had every chance and then some to win UNC. Losing Pat and Gotsis is no small hit for the UNC game. The ball bounces, injuries, and players still learning has GT behind expectations. We had hoped for plug and play, but we are learning/seeing that Senior players are important.

I have hope we may see the team continue to improve in the W/L column if they can stay healthy.

Biggest issues on O
  • Skov is a God send as I cannot imagine where the team would be without him.. The team needs some vision in this position to see lanes. Part of me wants to see the other two and allow them to grow more, but I know CPJ is doing what gives us the biggest chance of a win in each moment versus playing to win next week.
  • M Summers, the team needs you back! Blocking Blocking Blocking!
  • A skilled MLB is going to eat our lunch if the OT cannot get to them
  • I love our ABs and they are improving. I look forward to their continued improvement.
Defense is key and I think we have some improvement with a few more punts than years past. We need those pick sixes to push us over the edge.

I am just going to enjoy some football and cheer the Jackets on. Their is no justification or condemnation that will improve my enjoyment of watching "my" team fight till the end of every game.

Andewa

Jolly Good Fellow
I re-watched the UNC game last night, and Ike is such an excellent blocker. I feel like the offense really did a great job minus the last 2 drives. We very nearly put 45 points on the board. The offense is definitely improving week to week. I feel good about our chances this weekend!

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
One thing from the radio show last night that stuck out to me was when CPJ said that our O has put the most amount of points on every opponent save for ND which just let Clemson score 24 to our 22

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The bback situation is an interesting one. I read today that Marshall and Allen would play. Also the backfield coach made a comment that Allen did some good things but he took himself out and he didn't know why. Seems like he would know, but it appeared Allen was hurting. Allen my have played only one play, but it was a good one. He made a great step to the right for a 7 yard game as he felt the defense up the middle. Skov can't do that or at least hasn't shown that yet. There was a play near the goal line where Skov had the outside for a TD if he veered one step out , but he just crashed into the line. We eventually scored anyway but still.....Laskey and Days were both good at feeling the hole and taking steps to them. I think its time to let Allen play but it a position that requires toughness. Skov has that. Marshall has potential but is very young. Would like to see what Allen could do if healthy.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
One thing from the radio show last night that stuck out to me was when CPJ said that our O has put the most amount of points on every opponent save for ND which just let Clemson score 24 to our 22

And it's not close vs unc. Take a look at opponents of opponents for them and the points UNC allowed.

We're better on D but not deep enough the hits we've been taking. Getting guys back on D is huge. Our O will be solid imo but not like last year.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
The bback situation is an interesting one. I read today that Marshall and Allen would play. Also the backfield coach made a comment that Allen did some good things but he took himself out and he didn't know why. Seems like he would know, but it appeared Allen was hurting. Allen my have played only one play, but it was a good one. He made a great step to the right for a 7 yard game as he felt the defense up the middle. Skov can't do that or at least hasn't shown that yet. There was a play near the goal line where Skov had the outside for a TD if he veered one step out , but he just crashed into the line. We eventually scored anyway but still.....Laskey and Days were both good at feeling the hole and taking steps to them. I think its time to let Allen play but it a position that requires toughness. Skov has that. Marshall has potential but is very young. Would like to see what Allen could do if healthy.

I don't know the whole story but it seems to me mr. Allen needs to learn the difference between being hurt and being injured. I feel like he's taken himself out of every game he's been in this year.

It's a shame too because I feel like PJ trusts him more then Marshall and he would be getting some pretty good PT if he could stay on the field. He definitely gives us some more explosiveness out of the position, we just need him to stay out there. I will say that ankle injuries suck and tend to be nagging if they are not given the proper time to heal.

I still personally want to see more of Marshall. I think he could be a spark plug for our offense. Would love to see that little bback toss to him that we ran in the UNC game as well as some speed option.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I hear you. But you are what you are. We are playing and making the mistakes poor teams make and lose as a result. Its not like we have played well for 3 games in dogfights and lost on 2 hail marry's and another freak play.

We have really stunk in all three facets all three games. One game it may be offense and special teams. The other d. Etc.

The biggest disappointment so far as i can tell around the program is the lack of player leadership on the units. This is really surprising.

The other thing is the offense has played like yards and points are a given since we Gt running the option. The hunger is not where it was.

The final was we have reverted to classic roof on d. Offseason we talked about more aggressive fronts etc and havent really seen that. But we also have had a few key injuries so i am willing to give a partial pass on d. They looked good vs duke and nd.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I hear you. But you are what you are. We are playing and making the mistakes poor teams make and lose as a result. Its not like we have played well for 3 games in dogfights and lost on 2 hail marry's and another freak play.

We have really stunk in all three facets all three games. One game it may be offense and special teams. The other d. Etc.

The biggest disappointment so far as i can tell around the program is the lack of player leadership on the units. This is really surprising.

The other thing is the offense has played like yards and points are a given since we Gt running the option. The hunger is not where it was.

The final was we have reverted to classic roof on d. Offseason we talked about more aggressive fronts etc and havent really seen that. But we also have had a few key injuries so i am willing to give a partial pass on d. They looked good vs duke and nd.

I agree with the first part. It's great that they're all brothers, but some have to be the big brothers. Sometimes, a brother has to get your face and not just your back.

I'm of two minds on our D. I worry that Roof's coaching has guys sacrifice discipline for aggression. But, I still think personnel losses were too much vs unc. We'll see on Sat

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Has it occurred to anyone that we simply just might not be very good this year? My son's little league baseball team won the league in the spring. A bunch of the good players decided to play football instead of fall ball and now my son's team is not nearly as good. In fact, they're pretty bad. Most of the returning players, who are good players, mind you, just assumed they'd be good again just because. Instead, they have a bunch of newbies making errors as well as the old guys making uncharacteristic errors. Sound familiar? And they haven't lost anyone to injury.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
The issues aren't leadership or intangibles. The issues are actually very identifiable. We have sustained too many injuries at positions we could not withstand them, and the delta between the starters and replacements is larger because of that. For example, had we sustained an injury in the secondary, I think we could have been okay. Same thing at linebacker, or at guard. But injuries at receiver, A-back, and defensive line are the places that would kill us.

As for JBR's comment, please. There's value in discussing context.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Oh, is it that time of the year for perspective posts already?
Perspective posts are relevant whenever irrationality presents it's ugly head.

The surest piece of perspective I can offer is that we Tech fans typically have a lot more going on in our lives outside our fanhood. The same, however, can not be said for many factory bandwagon fans.

Remind yourself that football is entertainment and a diversion from real life and that it's not worth getting upset over to the point of harming relationships with others, or your mental or physical health.

Take pride in the fact that we have good young men of high character representing our school every time they take the field/campus/community and to root for them is an honor and a privilege.

Last, but not least, always remember, that for a limited time, there's another game to be played next Saturday and that, in and of itself, is a gift to be cherished.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I don't know the whole story but it seems to me mr. Allen needs to learn the difference between being hurt and being injured. I feel like he's taken himself out of every game he's been in this year.

It's a shame too because I feel like PJ trusts him more then Marshall and he would be getting some pretty good PT if he could stay on the field. He definitely gives us some more explosiveness out of the position, we just need him to stay out there. I will say that ankle injuries suck and tend to be nagging if they are not given the proper time to heal.

I still personally want to see more of Marshall. I think he could be a spark plug for our offense. Would love to see that little bback toss to him that we ran in the UNC game as well as some speed option.

As a minimum I would like to see M Marshall receiving the BB wide pitches and passes to the BB in the flat.....several plays a game and then hopefully gaining enough experience and confidence to run the other BB plays in later games.