A Lesson in History

Late 40's, early 50's. The dawn of the Golden Age of Georgia Tech football. We played the Washington & Lee's, Citadel's, Samfords, etc. And ALWAYS got the W, got the work in, moved on to the tougher foes of the season. We are poised to start a run of biblical proportions, maybe the best in the storied annals of Yellow Jacket football. Dispatch Tulane in similar fashion, and move to center stage of the football world in South Bend. Two teams that have faced each other in big games here and there over the span of 90 years. Ninety, with an "N". Carpe diem, Jackets.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
We have a much tougher schedule than in those days. We usually played more home games plus We had a huge athletic advantage most of the time. Clemson and Georgia were not nearly as good as they are today.
This is true, up to a point. The late season gauntlet of Tennessee, Alabama, and Georgia was no walk in the park. Auburn and LSU were always pretty good. We typically played LSU, Auburn, Alabama, Georgia, Tulane, (who was much better in those days) Duke (ditto) as well as Tennessee, Clemson and either Florida or Kentucky. Sometimes both. Dodd was an outstanding recruiter and we had team speed galore especially on defense. Most of those teams were probably not as good in those days as they are, comparatively speaking today. A number of reasons for this but the main one was that Georgia did not produce anywhere near the talent it does today and Dodd was exceptionally good at getting players from out of state that would not have been interested in going to Georgia. They were often the cream of the crop in those states as well. Interesting times but we have something very special going on right now. Let's play ball and see what happens.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Also a lesson in history. 2013 we beat Elon 70-0 to start the season. I think we have a great year but it won't all be rainbows and butterfly's every game.

hwdgeplague

Jolly Good Fellow
Actually I expect that the rainbows and butterflies will carry the day....Most days. Maybe interrupted by the occasional hot chocolate with mini marshmallows. If you think that I am being a bit optimistic then check out the end of the Hawaii Colorado game on CBS sports line (link help please here).