A game to watch

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer

• My predictions are usually wrong so I won't by any means predict a win. However, on Saturday at 3:30 Navy will take on Notre Dame. Many factors play into any game and its outcome. That being said, it will be interesting to see how Navy fairs against the Irish.

Navy is 4-0:

Colgate 48-10
    ECU 45-21
    UConn 28-18
    Air Force 33-11

None of these are great teams. However, I think we would all agree that Navy doesn't get the highest quality athletes in comparison to Power 5 teams. They have not only won these 4 games but fairly convincing. They are currently in the top 5 in rushing which is typical.

I'm curious to see how they execute the TOS in this game. Its only one game but could be used as a piece for our team and even our fan base going forward. I would assume ND will line up the same as they did against us.

Will they have the same success as they did against us?

Or will Navy execute more precisely and show onlookers what the Flexbone can do when the entire 11 players are on the same page?...

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
I think they score a ton on ND. They have guys with "want to" in the blocking department on the perimeter. Don't know if they win, but it won't because of the offense not performing.

Yjacket82

Georgia Tech Fan
That old adage about the service academies not getting players is obsolete. I am not saying they get 4* players, but they get around the size restrictions pretty effectively.

I think their OL is bigger than ours if you take out Devine and about the same with him.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
The way we're playing right now I don't think we beat Navy. They will give the Irish a game like they usually do.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I agree, Navy is better than GT this year. They will compete with Notre Dame MUCH more effectively than we did, because...they're batter than we are. Navy would beat us.

Notre Dame fans before our game up there were calling us "Navy with better athletes". This year it is reversed.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I understood the original comment this way.

Navy will bring a very focused and determined approach to running the spread option that Tech is not currently exhibiting. No one will take a play off, assignments will not be routinely missed and they will play the same way regardless of how the ball bounces or who has the lead.

I agree that this will be a real test of whether or not Notre Dame has "mastered" the spread option. I also agree that Navy is going to give them a hard time. "Watch your knees boys, they coming after ya."

Deltajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
That old adage about the service academies not getting players is obsolete. I am not saying they get 4* players, but they get around the size restrictions pretty effectively.

I think their OL is bigger than ours if you take out Devine and about the same with him.
Sorry but that is dead wrong. I was involved with the admissions process for the USAFA until last year. They are ecstatic to get a high 3* level player. The majority would be 2* level players similar to what a school like MTSU gets. The discipline they teach and require makes them excel at the Triple Option.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
OK, my fuse has been lit now, so hang on. First off Delta, thanks for that. Look, I have no idea what things are like in the "Air Farce" (sorry), but let me give you a Marine perspective on why the USNA has a chance this weekend. The advantage CPJ had at NAVY was that those players, probably half of which are headed to my beloved Corps, are totally immersed in a culture where if you don't do your assignment, PEOPLE DIE, people who are close to you. That is a whole different mindset than "oh well" "the play will bust if I don't do my job". It is an entirely different sense of urgency and attention to detail than CFB players typically have. The advantage of our offense is that it puts defenses at a man (or two, depending on the play) disadvantage if they don't over commit resources fom other places. The disadvantage is that it requires more, in terms of mental accuity and precise execution (quick decision making) under complex and fast moving circumstances. That stuff plays right into the hands of disciplined kids who are used to being under EXTREME PRESSURE.

If you are wondering if NAVY has better athletes, don't even talk to me. That isn't even close to the case. What they HAVE are guys who are unselfish and duty-bound MEN. When the chips are down or they are exhausted, guess what, they have already been in that situation, in other ways, a hundred times over, where they didn't have the luxury of not coming through. Therein lies your difference. I have been a TECH student AND a TECH athlete. There is very little that happened at that school, besides some academic problem solving skills, that even came close to preparing me for life with a green uniform. I lOVE TECH, but I am real at the same time. What NAVY has are some pretty good athletes, who are far below the guys they are going against across the board, but they have courage, toughness, unity, and conviction. SOMETIMES THAT IS ENOUGH.

TECH should be way better than NAVY, but that is another discussion for another day that involves the current culture of our society etc etc etc that may not belong on this board.