A few random thoughts

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
1. Would like to see Taquon protect himself more at the end of runs when the yardage is non-essential. Get down, or get out of bounds......28 vs 27 yards doesn't matter. LJ is out and Oliver has a slight build...not sure how he would hold up long term.

2. Graham looks thick for a tr-fr. We may need him at QB before all is said and done. Hate the non-contact injuries to #2 QBs (Byerly, LJ).

3. Wesely Wells on KO's seems high risk/high reward. He kicks line drives a long way and they are tough to field. However if he kicks one short vs a good return man there is going to be a lot of time before coverage gets down there. I thought we kicked off reasonably well vs Alcorn.

4. Said it elsewhere, but want to see DL win a few one on one battles to get to the QB.

5. Didn't like seeing Alcorn get a receiver wide open behind us deep, but like VT's defense we are putting guys on an island with aggressive play and hoping for turnovers and negative plays to get teams off the field.

6. I feel pretty good about our two starting WRs.

7. If we can run the ball well and protect Taquon well enough that he can set his feet and throw with authority I think he'll be able to throw the ball well. If not he's not yet locked in enough to stand there and throw strikes then take the hit....which is what you have to do against the better teams (see Deshaun Watson vs Alabama).

8. The 2014 team wasn't good at the beginning of the year and relied on luck to pull out some wins early in the season (GSU, VT 4th and 16, etc.). Plus lost to Duke and UNC before rounding into shape. I feel this team can be good AND will need to round into shape as well.

9. Our schedule is flat out brutal, as it was last year. I thought we were better than our record last year and it may be the case this year as well. But hopefully we turn the tables and have a good year.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
10. ETA: Omari Jarrett looks bigger to me this year. Maybe it's the new number (#2). I liked his HS film and I am going to go ahead and predict he's going to break out a little this year. I'd like to see Xavier Gantt haul in some WTF 3rd down passes along the sideline like Zenon did in 2014...I like what I've seen from the X-man as a slot receiver...quick and hard to cover.

11. Also: Over under on how many games it will take to fix the numbers on the white unis?

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
1. Would like to see Taquon protect himself more at the end of runs when the yardage is non-essential. Get down, or get out of bounds......28 vs 27 yards doesn't matter. LJ is out and Oliver has a slight build...not sure how he would hold up long term.

2. Graham looks thick for a tr-fr. We may need him at QB before all is said and done. Hate the non-contact injuries to #2 QBs (Byerly, LJ).

3. Wesely Wells on KO's seems high risk/high reward. He kicks line drives a long way and they are tough to field. However if he kicks one short vs a good return man there is going to be a lot of time before coverage gets down there. I thought we kicked off reasonably well vs Alcorn.

4. Said it elsewhere, but want to see DL win a few one on one battles to get to the QB.

5. Didn't like seeing Alcorn get a receiver wide open behind us deep, but like VT's defense we are putting guys on an island with aggressive play and hoping for turnovers and negative plays to get teams off the field.

7. If we can run the ball well and protect Taquon well enough that he can set his feet and throw with authority I think he'll be able to throw the ball well. If not he's not yet locked in enough to stand there and throw strikes then take the hit....which is what you have to do against the better teams (see Deshaun Watson vs Alabama).

8. The 2014 team wasn't good at the beginning of the year and relied on luck to pull out some wins early in the season (GSU, VT 4th and 16, etc.). Plus lost to Duke and UNC before rounding into shape. I feel this team can be good AND will need to round into shape as well.

9. Our schedule is flat out brutal, as it was last year. I thought we were better than our record last year and it may be the case this year as well. But hopefully we turn the tables and have a good year.
I think the 2018 Yellow Jackets will go 8-4 and,because Miami Virginia Tech and Duke all go 8-4 they will go to the Belk Bowl and play 7-5 South Carolina.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
10. ETA: Omari Jarrett looks bigger to me this year. Maybe it's the new number (#2). I liked his HS film and I am going to go ahead and predict he's going to break out a little this year. I'd like to see Xavier Gantt haul in some WTF 3rd down passes along the sideline like Zenon did in 2014...I like what I've seen from the X-man as a slot receiver...quick and hard to cover.

11. Also: Over under on how many games it will take to fix the numbers on the white unis?

I'd like to see what XG can do with the football in the open field.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I want to see excellence in execution on O!

Blocking wins games (blocking the right person helps too).

I want to see sound playing assignments on D.

I want to see two forced fumbles by our defense.

No points given up to USF by special teams!

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

Good points!! I will say the open WR down filed on us was from broken coverage if I’m not mistaken. I think we were in zone and the WR got released to the safety but he didn’t pick him up, I need to go back and watch to be sure though.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Anybody watch the QB’s in warmups last wknd? I thought Graham had the best looking passes of the 3, i really hope we get to see him in action some this year.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
This team could go full on Jeff Monken and rarely attempt a pass... just run every single play, and after you've run 35 straight times try to hit them over the top once or twice for long touchdowns.
While I don't think it will be quite that extreme, I do suspect we will be running the ball to start the game. There won't be many passes until and unless we get up by 3 scores and have things put away.

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck

Need TQM to stay healthy at least through UNC. At that point, we could use Graham and see what he can do after some time in weight training. But he could still maintain his redshirt into next season.

*This is of course assuming we make a bowl game but don't make the Playoff and win the first-round game. Then we would need TQM to stay healthy at least through UM. Also assumes Graham doesn't see action in earlier games.