A few more post Georgia thoughts

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I know most want to move on at this point, myself included.

It is perplexing to me how UGA could have such a pedestrian team with those super recruiting classes. I know the rankings aren't perfect, but I assume they mean something. North Caroling, FSU, Clemson, and Notre Dame were much faster and more athletic teams. I don't think those teams would have just beaten the Georgia team I saw, they would have clobbered them. UGA looked about like Pitt, Virginia, and Virginia Tech. Every other team PJ has fielded at Tech would have won Saturday.

I know the UGA faithful will say Chubb would have made a huge difference, but I doubt they would have gotten much more out of the position than what Michel gave them. Their line had trouble opening holes on our mediocre line. Michel hit what holes they had quickly.

Every once in a while when teams are bunched at the line in short yardage, the back will get through and there is no one left and it goes for a touchdown. That happened to us three times this year. I don't know if that is bad play or bad luck, but it should be a pretty rare thing.

Another bad luck kinda thing: our leading tackler gets thrown out after taking a pointless swing at a Georgia player who was harassing him. Refs missed something which happened between plays. As they were walking off the field, a Georgia player roughly shoved JT to the ground. They were probably jawing; I don't know. But from the physical point it was unprovoked. We didn't even get fifteen yards out of it.

Georgia fans were down on Shottenheimer. I only watched our game so maybe I didn't see much of him. But I thought he called a great game, keeping us off balance. At least twice he called a pass play when we weren't expecting it and it worked big time.

Even in the general sorriness of our game, I couldn't help but admire the spirit of this Tech team. You could see how bad they wanted it and they gave it all they had until the final play.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
The one position where UGAg lacked talent was at the QB. Schottenheimer did not really have a lot to work with, and it seemed he was limited greatly by the type of plays UGAg could execute. I doubt he is retained at UGAg, but I actually think he could be good if he had a good QB, and could fully install/teach his offense.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The one position where UGAg lacked talent was at the QB. Schottenheimer did not really have a lot to work with, and it seemed he was limited greatly by the type of plays UGAg could execute. I doubt he is retained at UGAg, but I actually think he could be good if he had a good QB, and could fully install/teach his offense.

I've never been impressed with Schottenheimer. He did about as well this year as I expected him to do. Look at the jets from 2006-11 and the Rams from 2012-14. Not much there for the most part.

How much talent do you actually need to give the guy to conclude the he could be "good." I don't know that me or you would have done much worse than Schotty with the talent uga has. With the exception of USCe, they did terrible against pretty much every team they played: 10 against bama, 9 against mizzou, 3 against UF, 27 against kentucky, 20 against Auburn, 23 (in OT) against Ga Southern, 13 against us.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
I know most want to move on at this point, myself included.

It is perplexing to me how UGA could have such a pedestrian team with those super recruiting classes. I know the rankings aren't perfect, but I assume they mean something. North Caroling, FSU, Clemson, and Notre Dame were much faster and more athletic teams. I don't think those teams would have just beaten the Georgia team I saw, they would have clobbered them. UGA looked about like Pitt, Virginia, and Virginia Tech. Every other team PJ has fielded at Tech would have won Saturday.

I know the UGA faithful will say Chubb would have made a huge difference, but I doubt they would have gotten much more out of the position than what Michel gave them. Their line had trouble opening holes on our mediocre line. Michel hit what holes they had quickly.

Every once in a while when teams are bunched at the line in short yardage, the back will get through and there is no one left and it goes for a touchdown. That happened to us three times this year. I don't know if that is bad play or bad luck, but it should be a pretty rare thing.

Another bad luck kinda thing: our leading tackler gets thrown out after taking a pointless swing at a Georgia player who was harassing him. Refs missed something which happened between plays. As they were walking off the field, a Georgia player roughly shoved JT to the ground. They were probably jawing; I don't know. But from the physical point it was unprovoked. We didn't even get fifteen yards out of it.

Georgia fans were down on Shottenheimer. I only watched our game so maybe I didn't see much of him. But I thought he called a great game, keeping us off balance. At least twice he called a pass play when we weren't expecting it and it worked big time.

Even in the general sorriness of our game, I couldn't help but admire the spirit of this Tech team. You could see how bad they wanted it and they gave it all they had until the final play.
If there's anything with which Tech fans could sympathize with UGA fans, it's injuries and class separation. They played 22 freshmen this year. Not as many as we did, but a considerable number. That affects things. Second, they have issues with bunching in recruiting. Their class in 2012 had 17 players, and their class in 2013 only has 19 left from a group that started at 34. That's really hard to overcome, and it's something we're dealing with from 2013 (though our issues are more extreme).

Richt is a good man, and I don't know that I think he deserved this (though I understand the decision). I go back and forth on it. I do know that I hope UGA regrets this decision for the next ten years.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I still am upset we did not know the qb would pass out of the end zone. Only surprise it was not to fullback wide open in middle.
We did blitz up middle but safety(?) hesitated going after qb'
oh the joy of a sack fumble td to win.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I've never been impressed with Schottenheimer. He did about as well this year as I expected him to do. Look at the jets from 2006-11 and the Rams from 2012-14. Not much there for the most part.

How much talent do you actually need to give the guy to conclude the he could be "good." I don't know that me or you would have done much worse than Schotty with the talent uga has. With the exception of USCe, they did terrible against pretty much every team they played: 10 against bama, 9 against mizzou, 3 against UF, 27 against kentucky, 20 against Auburn, 23 (in OT) against Ga Southern, 13 against us.

Without a good QB, it is hard to evaluate any offensive system. I don't think any of the 3 QBs that played this year for UGAg were any good. Look at Clemson last year. The offense had a ton of talent and did well with Watson. When he went out, the point totals went down substantially. I don't think Schottenheimer is as good as CPJ, Chad Morris, Dino Babers, etc. I think he is just okay. I don't think he is as bad as UGAg fans make him out to be. If he had Murray for a year or two, I think UGAg fans would have a much different opinion of him. He will probably be fired in the coaching shuffle before we really know if he is any good. I think played to his strengths of running the ball, and mixing in some passes. He didn't do anything that cost them close games, and he let the defense carry the team. That is the same thing Dabo did last year with Clemson. I think CPJ would have been content doing the same thing this year, if the defense was capable of carrying the team.

My perspective is all opinion, and I admit I do not have data to prove my theory one way or another. I just see a guy that had a void at the most important position on the team, and he did about as well as anyone else could have.

decatur jacket

Jolly Good Fellow

I would say that this was the least "bad luck" thing that happened on Saturday. He was harassing the Georgia player just as much. I turned to my buddy that I was at the game with in the 1st quarter and told him that Davis was an Unsportsmanlike Penalty waiting to happen.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Without a good QB, it is hard to evaluate any offensive system. I don't think any of the 3 QBs that played this year for UGAg were any good. Look at Clemson last year. The offense had a ton of talent and did well with Watson. When he went out, the point totals went down substantially. I don't think Schottenheimer is as good as CPJ, Chad Morris, Dino Babers, etc. I think he is just okay. I don't think he is as bad as UGAg fans make him out to be. If he had Murray for a year or two, I think UGAg fans would have a much different opinion of him. He will probably be fired in the coaching shuffle before we really know if he is any good. I think played to his strengths of running the ball, and mixing in some passes. He didn't do anything that cost them close games, and he let the defense carry the team. That is the same thing Dabo did last year with Clemson. I think CPJ would have been content doing the same thing this year, if the defense was capable of carrying the team.

My perspective is all opinion, and I admit I do not have data to prove my theory one way or another. I just see a guy that had a void at the most important position on the team, and he did about as well as anyone else could have.

It may be difficult to evaluate what he did this year, at least passing wise, but I've never seen anything he's done to make me think he's a good coach. He just seems to run the same conservative pro offense as everyone else.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
I would say that this was the least "bad luck" thing that happened on Saturday. He was harassing the Georgia player just as much. I turned to my buddy that I was at the game with in the 1st quarter and told him that Davis was an Unsportsmanlike Penalty waiting to happen.
Kerry Watkins punched marcus Stroud one year. He deserved it, and why Watkins is still a BAMF in my book. Dude outweighed him by 120 pounds. Sometimes it happens. PJ shouldn't have swung, but you can't let these guys come in here and push you around. He should have bodyslammed him and taken the 15.

To the OP,
Least imposing uga team in a long while. Hopefully it is a trend. We looked meaner on D than them too.