A fan's plea to GT's D

MidtownJacket

Staff member
IEEEWreck summarized my point significantly better than I did. Thanks for adding some much needed context to the conversation. My point was that it seems like reading through some of the comments people don't take fully into account that the strategy we have been employing on Defense leads to the stats being what they are. The ultimate stat is winning and losing.

I agree our offense holding the ball for 2/3 of a game makes it significantly easier to play defense, but I don't think we can point to any real examples of the Defense breaking down and giving up easy scores. They are doing their work humbly and taking the knocks they receive. I was just saying I think people rely too much on ranking and statistics but not enough on watching the game. Our DL has played considerably better than I was expecting coming into this year and our secondary has come up with some nice take aways in each of the games we have played.

Finally, it isn't about claiming superiority as fan, or beating my own drum - it is about people being a little more fair on these guys. An anecdotal story would be the way some of the people on this board changed their feeling about Reggie Ball after the human interest interview was posted here recently showing how good a young man he is.

I just think we sometimes (myself included) get carried away with high hopes and lofty expectations and lose the forest through the trees. As most people who went to GT will agree the school is hard enough on it's own without the added stressors and time required to play for and represent the school. I think most of us would agree the student athletes at GT do a heck of a job representing what it is to be a Tech Man (or Woman) and I just wanted to provide a counterpoint to some of the negativity circling around this site and others.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We have found a way to win every game SO FAR. I guess I am worried because it is hard to control the game from the offensive side of the ball, EVERY CONTEST. I think that is what '87 is trying to say. I love this team and I think we are the best overall unit of the CPJ era, BUT, none of our games, from here on out, can be expected to be easy, because of one side of the ball.

Whatever, we want exciting games, not blowouts, right?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
@MidtownJacket please read my OP again. I wasn't beating up our D. I was saying that from this fan's perspective, it would be easier on my heart if we could just whoop some people with our D and shut some offenses down. That's all. You framed it as if people encouraging our D to be better were expecting them to be number 1. Again, even in this post, you frame it as "high hopes and lofty expectations."

I only mentioned the stats IN RESPONSE TO YOU because the way you framed the discussion was not fair or realistic. You are creating a straw man GT Fan who has unrealistic expectations. And when you create a straw man to rebuke other fans, you are "claiming superiority as a fan," regardless of your denial.

So, let's be clear, I disagree with the notion that it is "high hopes and lofty expectations" that we should expect our D to perform somewhat close to the level of Duke's D, Duke's, and UNC's. How low must your view of Tech be, that you consider it beyond imagination that our D can't match Duke's or this year's UNC. Seriously?

And @IEEEWreck, it's great that you've learnt some fancy words about stats, but rational discussion requires more than than throwing around vocabulary. You say that "we've been giving up lots of yards but preventing points." Did you even look at the stats that you say don't tell the whole story? I included points/drive allowed. We gave up close to 2.5 pts/drive against Miami. Duke gave up just under 1.5 pts/drive against Miami. That's a difference of two scores in a typical GT 10-12 drive game. We gave up 2pts/drive against VPI which is is only slightly better than what UNC did, giving up 2.1 ppd. That's UNC who is #124 in scoring D, #98 in ppd.

So, contrary to your suggestion, our D is also giving up points, not as badly as we're giving up yards, but pretty badly.

Look at Ted Roof's Twitter feed, if you think you guys are speaking for him and his scheme. I'll post it here:
Ted Roof @CoachTedRoof · Oct 7
Winning can be a hallucinogen masking imperfections of performance and lead to fatal disease of complacency #GetBetterEveryday

Apparently, Roof doesn't share your opinion that the only stat that matters is the W.

So, while @MidtownJacket and @IEEEWreck enjoy their hallucinogens, I'm gonna side with Roof and continue to cheer for my Jackets and encourage them to get better every day. I actually think that this is not "high hopes and lofty expectations," but I suspect @MidtownJacket will send off a tweet to Ted Roof about how hard his players have it as Tech students, as if Ted didn't know.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
We have found a way to win every game SO FAR. I guess I am worried because it is hard to control the game from the offensive side of the ball, EVERY CONTEST. I think that is what '87 is trying to say. I love this team and I think we are the best overall unit of the CPJ era, BUT, none of our games, from here on out, can be expected to be easy, because of one side of the ball.

Whatever, we want exciting games, not blowouts, right?

Yes to the first paragraph, no to the second. I want blowouts. I loved the first 6 games of 2011 and wanted them to continue.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Looking across the CFB landscape this seems to be the era of the Offense, few if any dominant Defenses. BTW, I'm scratching my head over ESPN's game prediction GT 17-14 ??
The int's vs. VT and UM were the result of good coverage on the intended reciever, mixing in some timely blitz packages to keep the QB off balance would obviously help the pass Defense.

The ESPN site has the line at 3.5 GT and over/under at 61. That is a 32 29 game or so. These guys are just trying to get attention and are bozos. http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/scoreboard?confId=1&seasonYear=2014&seasonType=2&weekNumber=7

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We are 5-0 through timely plays, weak opponents and great coaching. (My opinion.)

I intend to enjoy all the games as much as possible. For me the stats show the size of the hill we have to climb. We have a good O, good ST and weak but fortunate D. Statistically I can support each of the three phases of the game in what I say.

The way we are currently playing, we are fairly evenly matched in our next five games with the exception of Duke and NCState who we should beat easily. But if we have turnovers and they make a lot of great plays, we lose. I expect we will lose one of those when things don't go right, maybe two.

On the other hand, we could continue to get better more than is typical since we are young on D and being on a winning streak has to increase the teams focus. The O and ST are good enough to win Coastal already, but can get better. Next year we have a great group coming in who will help.

Being 5-0 beats any alternative. And the D should be getting better, so enjoy.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
The way gt is performing on D is not a recipe for success over a season. We have gotten alot of breaks on d in a few games, and made timely plays in a few games that helped. But the way they do it is not sustainable success over a season. I am happy we have gotten through games so far. But this dam can break at any moment if improvement isnt continuous and FAST.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
The way gt is performing on D is not a recipe for success over a season. We have gotten alot of breaks on d in a few games, and made timely plays in a few games that helped. But the way they do it is not sustainable success over a season. I am happy we have gotten through games so far. But this dam can break at any moment if improvement isnt continuous and FAST.

99% of the time this statement is true, but this year schedule has some of the most inept QBs I have ever seen. Yes, we need to improve every week, but these QBs will allow us to continue to get those timely plays and breaks

Papa Doc

Georgia Tech Fan
D average yield is 23 per game; O average production is 33. 23D + 33O = 9Ws +/- 1 :) If this was the projected output before the year began, we all would have been excited.

texasjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
We have been thrilled with the timely turnovers.

We rejoiced with the forced fumble vs GS. We slapped hands for the interception vs VPI before the game winning score. We laughed and danced with the picks against d'oh U.

But please, could you just force a bunch of punts vs Duke?
Or a couple sacks, hurry ups, and just general harassment of that signal caller

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Chatting on these threads allows each of us to vent our fears, release our anxieties and voice whatever we need to voice to feel like we have somehow prepared for all possible eventualities. Here is how I have settled it in my mind.
(1.) The defense is playing about as well as they can play given our personnel.
(2.) They are playing hard.
(3.) Coach Ted Roof is aware of what he is working with and is doing a masterful job motivating, scheming and getting the most out of them.
(4.) The defense held Miami to the fewest points against us in over five years.
(5.) The defense is far exceeding my expectations.
(6.) Everyone wants them to keep getting better but if they fail during some game in the future it will not be for lack of trying.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
regardless of what everyone typed here, the GT D is not performing in a way to be sustainable over a year IMO. This isn't about playing hard. The results year to date (which include some of the worst statistical numbers in power 5 team rankings) suggest thank the lord for our offense. This isn't about what we did in the past 5 games; its about how we did it and how does that translate over a year....We are not forcing enough punts, 3 and outs, 3 and punts etc. We are alive due to our O ability to hold the ball and minimize defensive snaps.

We have yet to play a good defensive game. Miami was not one. If you think Miami was because of a good defensive game fine...think that way...they had 40 snaps. 40. 8 yards a play. that over a normal 70 snap game is 560 yards of offense and much more points. Paul HAD TO control the game with his O because we could not win a shootout like the last 2 years. Thank god for our O; and he knew that going into this game and called it masterfully.

This is about my point, of projection; of how they are playing is not a recipe for success over a season. We are relying on opportunities that cannot be termed as consistent. Turnovers for instance, are not terribly predictable. Holding guys out of the endzone when the offense gets to the 10 on a drive consistently is not a reliable defense mechanism over the long haul of a season. Letting teams avg 8 yards a play in a game is not a recipe for success if they continue to play so loose. It will catch up to us.

However if you some of you feel like we are doing enough on D, and it won't catch up to us, fine...believe that. I see what I see....we can agree to disagree. The defense is below their capability so far this season and talent. Way below it. We are not a dead last D in the power 5 and yet there we are in some categories. This D can play better. Needs to play better and if not we will lose 3 maybe 4 due to the D going out. Yes, we have had opportune success..hey thats great the kids play hard too!!! but they are blowing alignments play after play....and that isn't about talent. Its about recognition, study, teaching, and listening. its between the ears.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
I think a lot of us realize that our D has some significant concerns. But rather than focus on them (simply because there isn't much I can do about it) I'm enjoying the fact that we have won 3 games we lose any other year because of late-game defensive heroics.

That's right: any other year, we are 2-3 but because of three key defensive plays (and the ensuing offensive heroics) we are 5-0. Is this sustainable for the rest of the year? Will there be a game where we don't make that play and lose? We all know the answer.

But for now, I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts because we've only been here a few times in the last 50 years.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
99% of the time this statement is true, but this year schedule has some of the most inept QBs I have ever seen. Yes, we need to improve every week, but these QBs will allow us to continue to get those timely plays and breaks
Exactly. QB play in the ACC has been atrocious. Even Hutson Mason can be had with this strategy as he's bad too.

I recognize the D is struggling but they've also made some big plays. This team isn't blaming one side or the other they're playing as a team and picking each other up and that's what you want. A cohesive team.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
It would be nice to see the D shutout Duke's "NFL preparing" offense. I honestly don't think we've seen the best defensive performance of the season yet same with the offense. *crossing fingers*

When it's all said and done, I would love to take the W any which way.

GO JACKETS!