A Different Perspective

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
  • Option offenses historically struggle early in the season and finish stronger. Pre-snap reads by the ABs (who to block), BB (mesh point), and QB (where we have numbers, meshpoint) tend to improve with practice/experience. Ball handling by the QB/BB combo in the mesh tends to be rough if you've got new blood there. Timing and precision tend to improve over the season with reps. Blocking technique and understanding who to block improves with experience. Last year we were much better offensively later in the season than earlier.
  • ND and Duke were two good defenses faced early in the season who chose an aggressive, attacking strategy. In both cases we were not able to handle that pressure. Both did a great job putting pressure on an option offense breaking in all-new skill guys early in the season. Georgia Southern got more aggressive defensively last year after getting torched early, and used this to good advantage in their comeback.
  • One "Blueprint" for beating us is to make us play from behind. This 'blueprint' works because it makes us less patient/can make us press more and can add to the chance of making more mistakes. Against Duke our special teams miscues and early defensive struggles led to playing from behind at a time when our offense was struggling against a good defense with an attacking scheme. At ND we also played from behind most of the game. JT was pressing and guys were frustrated. Not what you want to find your rhythm on the road with new guys who are figuring out where to go.
  • As for what's up with our experienced OL, IMO a big part of it is (1) the defenses we were facing were good and were defeating blocks and getting to the football, (2) playing from behind made them press some against an attacking scheme, (3) college football is an emotional game/game of momentum and I think the guys were frustrated/not playing well.
  • The two early patsies were damaging because they gave the players--fueled by fan enthusiasm--the impression that we were a good offense. Perhaps they were complacent, bought into the hype, and didn't work as hard as they needed to in order to improve?
None of these things can be used as excuses because both ND and especially Duke were winnable games. Last year when we were bumbling around early in the season we had some better WR and AB play that bailed us out early in the season. This year one would have hoped that an improved defense, and an experienced QB & OL would have bailed us out. But it has not been so.

Not sure what you do on ST's, which every unit except FG got schooled. Maybe play more starters?

UNC will be interesting. Probably an easier defense to play, but their offense is prolific and it will put pressure on our offense to answer. If I am Carolina I come with an attacking defensive strategy from the get go and try and seize an early lead. Switzer is a great return man so we'll have to kick away from him.

It will be interesting to see how the team responds. The way we are now we might not be a top 50 team. Guys really have to (1) work hard to get better, (2) play within themselves and handle adversity better. We need that grind and chipping away mentality. Play within ourselves not matter what the opponents or the other units (STs, defense, offense) are doing. Stay calm, resolved, and exhibit mental toughness. This is a place where JT can improve his leadership. Needs to stay calm and resolved no matter what. Did a good job of that last year but this year he's supposed to be a star and is trying to carry the team.

I feel strangely optimistic. We may not win more than 6 or 7 games this season. However I do think we will be a good football team by the end of the season. It's frustrating not to be able to come out of the gate playing better though.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I agree. I get frustrated in games when things aren't working and we just repeat the same mistakes rafter than trying something else, but I think you nailed the reasons everything is so bad on offense right now.

Last year we didn't particularly look like a great offense until game seven (at UNC). I had just hoped our offensive line would look better right now and we'd be able to rely on running inside. Instead it looks like we can't block anyone.

Someone already said it elsewhere, but things are never as good or as bad as they seem. This team could still end up winning 9 or 10 games (including a bowl game), but they're going to have to get a lot better and do so very quickly with Clemson looming.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
To add, these two losses remind me of the offensive performance vs VT on Thursday night 2 years ago when they blitzed the crap out of the A gap and put tremendous pressure on us that we did not handle.

Loss to Duke sucks but we can still win the Coastal. Duke is not as good as last year IMO and will lose at least 3 ACC games. We just have to survive early and get rolling.

Also, AB & WR were the weak/thin parts of our offense coming into the season. Losing our best all-around receiver/only experienced receiver in Summers has really hurt us--Especially in edge blocking. Ditto with the Dennis Andrews dismissal and Qua Searcy injury. Who knows what Nathan Cottrell could have done. He had experienced blocking the veer from HS.

Can't afford many more losses to those position groups.

Last edited:

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
OK, I'm going to say it. Shoot me. This game reminded me of KS 2010 and UVA 2011 and most all 2013.

Common factor? The QB was thinking too much and not playing within the system.

CPJ was able to right the ship those years on O, and our D is better this year. Let's see what happens.

Buzz4Him

Georgia Tech Fan
I expect to see new faces on special teams this week, especially punt and kick coverage. As bad as the past two weeks have been, good play on STs sealed the fate, especially yesterday.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
We are EVERY bit still in it for the Coastal, and even the entire ACC. Maybe not from an execution and production standpoint, but mathematically all conference championships are still on the table. Anyone think Duke is only going to lose 1 game this year? VT looks almost as bad as we do.

The good thing is, our guys are young, and hopefully they learn from the lumps they took against ND and Duke. Historically, our offense starts rolling around the 4th-6th games. Hopefully, the damage will be minimal by then and we're still mathematically in it.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
A lot of football in front of us. You can see the potential in this team and it is disheartening to see them struggle like this. There is something missing right now, hopefully we will find it soon. Until then we just have to hang tough and continue to support our team. They are not going to cancel the remainder of the season and I have season tickets. No refunds.

Go Jackets!

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Some team we play is going to pay a price when we finally put it together--the problem is ,can we even keep it up if we do it once with this schedule?

LibertyTurns

Banned
This offense is like riding a bike. Once you get it you stop falling over and the only thing constraining you is how fast you can physically go. Before that you break a few of your own bones and it isn't pretty.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Will be interesting to see what coach has to say in his presser tomorrow. Probably not much boomer hasn't already laid out and likely less. May get some word on shirts coming off but that might be more likely on Thursday and may be a game time decision. What I'd like to hear is how the team responds to the big eye in the sky. Time for our leaders to lead. JT will have to speak up. Hearing it from the coaches is great. But that message carries far more weight when leaders preach it also.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
We can still have 9 or 10 wins during the regular season. Just hope that the team "gets it together" and is able to make that regular season win total a reality.

To do so, on offense folks have to block better and consistently... On defense have to wrap up and tackle.

Bottom line, it is possible... just won't be easy.

Jacket4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
I really think if we can fix the problem at B back that would cure a lot of our issues. If we can get one of these guys to make the correct read and bust some long runs on the dive that will open up the edge. I think we have some young guys that can do this but just need some time.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I know we are fans and not players, but I still think like a coach or a player. The last thing I am worried about right now is our won loss record. I want us to fix the darned problems. If we do that, we should be OK record wise. We need to put our entire focus and hearts into being 1-0 this weekend. If we are lucky enough to do that, then we can have something to build on.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I'll offer this up- I wanted less cupcakes and an upgraded ACC so the games mean more each week. Maybe we are not ready for it as a program YET because we still lack the depth for reasons that are well documented coupled with some inopportune injuries. We have a decently strong schedule this year & it would be hard to replicate last year's result given the departure of several very experienced contributors. I'm glad we're playing meaningful games even if we take more lumps than we'd like.

I will say this- for some of you like my Execs that think 2 data points are a trend or those that chase the trends in the stock market by trying to "time the market" either at the top or bottom on the basis of intraday swings, GT sports will put you in an insane asylum. These last 2 games were no more a trend than the first 2 were.

We have a coach that's a good leader. I do not know that personally, but I respect the guys that have dealt with him personally & that's what they say, so I believe that. He runs a system that's unconventional. We know it can be a dumpster fire or a historically effective, seemingly never in between. An added benefit is it CAN work at an extremely high level without the services of the type of talent Alabama gets every year. I believe it's a type of system we need.

I love our Institute. I like the program we're building. I like our players. I admire our coaches for running a successful & clean program. We're not a dynasty YET and maybe we'll never make it. With football I believe we have a strategic plan to grow & prosper long term. We'll lose some battles, but in the end will win the war. I pray we will not end up following in the footsteps of the vast majority of programs and allow our emotions to drive irrational decisions.

The program we have now is Georgia Tech in its most basic sense. Good kids, led properly with the right priorities; student athletes, model citizens, dedicated family members. God Bless them all!

Go Jackets!!!!!

Dave.S

Jolly Good Fellow
We are way to young at too many critical positions. The young guys will get better but it's obviously going to be a more painful road than expected replacing all of that senior leadership from last year along with what seems like more than usual string of injuries on O.

Most of the talking heads and some of us fans just assume that CPJ will be able to plug and play the pieces in his offense and things will just keep humming along no matter the circumstances. Experience really matters..

Heck, look at Oregan who is less than two years removed from the NCG getting blasted by 50 at home by Utah. It's the ebb and flow of college football.