92.9 the game

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
is nothing but 680 light, yesterday on Dukes and Bell they were talking head basketball coaches salaries and were completely out of reality. Naturally it was a dig at our search for a HC. Pure baloney, saying coaches salaries were 4, 5 or 6 million. Today it was the Jacob Eason show and upcoming coverage of the G-Day love fest. Never mention we are having spring practice, the media in this city is pure BS.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
To their credit, 92.9 did have Bobby Cremins on yesterday to talk about the coaching search. Im not sure the guys on 680 even know who Bobby Cremins is.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
I listened to them yesterday (4/4) afternoon and Mike Bell indicated that our salary offer was $1.5M/season for Drew and Vandy topped it. I'm not sure how accurate his source is but if there is any truth to the salary, we probably won't get attention from any of the 'name' coaches.

Jacket Forever

Jolly Good Fellow
Except for listening to broadcasts of the Atlanta Hawks' games, I quit listening to 92.9 the Game at least a year ago. IMHO, the state of Atlanta Sports-talk radio is abysmal. Almost without exception, their broadcasters are former music dee-jays, who don't REALLY know sports. Or they are uga fans and grads who give the place over in Athens their prime to focus. Lastly, they spend an awful lot of time talking about their own lives, peccadilloes and sometimes perversions. NONE of them really give a hoot about Georgia Tech or know anything much about sports at all. Jackets Forever!

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
I listened to them yesterday (4/4) afternoon and Mike Bell indicated that our salary offer was $1.5M/season for Drew and Vandy topped it. I'm not sure how accurate his source is but if there is any truth to the salary, we probably won't get attention from any of the 'name' coaches.

You should be quite sure how accurate his "source" was.

Vespidie

Jolly Good Fellow

They get their information by reading GT message boards.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
There's literally no need to listen to sports radio in Atlanta. None, at all.
You are correct, I gave them a chance because I hated 680. There is no difference, the real problem is the youth in and around our city take the BS they spout out as factual and go with it.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
You are correct, I gave them a chance because I hated 680. There is no difference, the real problem is the youth in and around our city take the BS they spout out as factual and go with it.

Do any young people listen to sports talk radio? Every once in a while I ask a teenager if they ever listen to any radio at all and they think it is a funny question.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Do any young people listen to sports talk radio? Every once in a while I ask a teenager if they ever listen to any radio at all and they think it is a funny question.

I'm 32 and all I listen to is talk radio for probably the last few years.

Lebatard, Opie and Jim, MLB Network radio.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
Who do their parents like?

It most definitely has nothing to do with sports talk radio. Ask a teenager who (pick random sports talk guy) is and they will have no idea.
Not super young, but mid 20's and I listen to sports talk to and from work. Mostly local because I do like to hear about the Braves, Hawks, and Falcons. Tech admittedly gets next to zero press, but I enjoy it when they talk about us. Used to love to listen to SVP before he took over SC at Night.

I used to like Archer & Bell on 790, because I think Mike is funny and Archer knows what he's talking about when it comes to football - but since he moved to 92.9 I stopped, can't listen to Dukes. My favorite local show is Chuck & Chernoff. They provide a high level of entertainment and give me a good laugh on the way home. While neither are bball guys, I think Chuck gives good insight on college football (albeit primarily SEC), and Chernoff is a good guy for baseball and keeps my attention.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Chuck can choke on a Popeyes chicken bone..
I'll keep listen to Mike & Bell.
The guy I really can't stand is Rick Kamla he's the worst oh and John Chuckery.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
I only like listening to sports radio in the ATL after a UGAg football loss. The mutthurt was delicious. :whistle:

If there is any fall off from St. Richt's 9-10 win seasons going forward, ATL sports radio will become quite entertaining as the mutts attack each other over the Richt firing.

Like ATL1 said, unless GT sports win, there is not any commercial upside to covering GT. The numbers of born & bred GT fans will never be such that commercial success is attainable by a broadcast outlet. It is a small and quiet club that we GT fans belong to. Given the state of GT football since Dodd, the only thing odder than GT fans in the state of Georgia is people who are agnostic when it comes to CFB.

Have GT play even with UGAg, while winning 70-80% of everything else and the fair-weather sidewalk-fans will come.* Then GT sports talk will be a viable commercial enterprise.

* See Atlanta Braves 9/1991 - 10/27/1999

GTFan62

Jolly Good Fellow
Not super young, but mid 20's and I listen to sports talk to and from work. Mostly local because I do like to hear about the Braves, Hawks, and Falcons. Tech admittedly gets next to zero press, but I enjoy it when they talk about us. Used to love to listen to SVP before he took over SC at Night.

I used to like Archer & Bell on 790, because I think Mike is funny and Archer knows what he's talking about when it comes to football - but since he moved to 92.9 I stopped, can't listen to Dukes. My favorite local show is Chuck & Chernoff. They provide a high level of entertainment and give me a good laugh on the way home. While neither are bball guys, I think Chuck gives good insight on college football (albeit primarily SEC), and Chernoff is a good guy for baseball and keeps my attention.
Chuck Oliver is more objective than Matt Chernoff. His Southern Football show is usually rerun at 7:00 pm and has good information. I guess that is done right now due to Braves broadcasting.