92.9 The Game

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
Does anybody listen to this station? They are the official station for the Hawks and Falcons. Of course I love listening to Steve Holman (Hawks) and Wes Durham (Falcons). But other than that, this station is quite annoying, especially when their regular daytime guys talk college football. It seems like every time they talk about Georgia Tech football (which they rarely do), they make jokes. They joke about Paul Johnson, recruiting, the offense, and the school in general. We are a big joke to them. Has anybody else noticed this?

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Can not say I do not channel surf from time to time, but my last interaction with them was after FSU last year. I have heard him rant several times but bell keeps talking about a GT fan at that game that kept screaming " cheaters" after FSU would make a play.
Bell keeps saying " ever wonder why they call you nerds??"

I have called and twittered him " ever wonder why they call you guys alcoholic, trailer trash?". No response ever.

Really, I can not listen to any of those stations for long. EVERY single day they talk about the same crap - regardless of the team.

SSDD

GT Chillin' It

Jolly Good Fellow
I really dont mind the morning show with John Fricke and Hugh Douglas. They tend to spend way more time on pro sports than anything else (which as a falcons fan I really dont mind). When they do talk about college sports it is usually dominated by UGA speak but I havnt heard them bad mouth Tech like the afternoon guys when we do make it in. Like any sports show after you listen for about an hour the whole thing repeats itself.

The mid day and afternoon programming is simply garbage. Listen at your own risk and prepare to be pissed off if you support anything that isnt UGA football.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Kamla is so irritating and sometimes says some of the dumbest things on earth. I truly dont think he is too bright.

I dont mind mike bells show now; but i like chuck and chernoff more.

Their morning show is ok; neither 680 or 92.9 morning show is that great. But its noise. Hugh douglass lack of vocabulary is hard to listen too

SolicitorJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
So I called 680 the other day during the late morning show. They were slamming Tech and Tech fans in the wake of the Bobexit: Tech has a passionless following, cant put butts in the seats, dont financially support the programs.

I pointed out that part of the issue lies with the local media and their understandable ( but overdone) slobbering over the dwags huge fan base. It is hard to build any excitement for a program when the local media follows your biggest rival's narrative about you. All you get locally is ignore Tech as much as possible, but when you do mention us, make sure there is some sort of insult or backhanded compliment.

Steak Shapiro's answer was that their research shows that out of every 10 local sportstalk listeners who back either in state team, 9 are dwags and only 1 is a Tech fan.

That figure may be true, but it doesnt account for potential Tech listeners who are driven away because they rarely mention their team and when they do it is laced with insults.

I guess the conventional wisdom is that if they gave Tech any more airtime or respect they would drive away more uga listeners than they would attract Tech fans.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
So I called 680 the other day during the late morning show. They were slamming Tech and Tech fans in the wake of the Bobexit: Tech has a passionless following, cant put butts in the seats, dont financially support the programs.

I pointed out that part of the issue lies with the local media and their understandable ( but overdone) slobbering over the dwags huge fan base. It is hard to build any excitement for a program when the local media follows your biggest rival's narrative about you. All you get locally is ignore Tech as much as possible, but when you do mention us, make sure there is some sort of insult or backhanded compliment.

Steak Shapiro's answer was that their research shows that out of every 10 local sportstalk listeners who back either in state team, 9 are dwags and only 1 is a Tech fan.

And that's all the proof you need to show the inherent taste and intelligence of Tech fans.
Sports talk radio, by and large and particularly in the metro Atlanta market, panders to that segment. Callers mean listeners. Listeners mean ratings. Ratings mean ad revenues.
It's completely manipulative.
Next time, ask Steven Shapiro isn't this same business model he already used to run one station into the ground?

I get along with Bell ok. Of course, the last time I saw him, he may have been just congratulating me for who I had sitting with me ;)

That figure may be true, but it doesnt account for potential Tech listeners who are driven away because they rarely mention their team and when they do it is laced with insults.

I guess the conventional wisdom is that if they gave Tech any more airtime or respect they would drive away more uga listeners than they would attract Tech fans.
Living in Augusta, I have no idea what times of day those broadcasts are on, but my immediate thought is that maybe the Tech fans are actually at work, earning a living, while the mutt fans are.....well, who knows what they are doing?

SolicitorJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Living in Augusta, I have no idea what times of day those broadcasts are on, but my immediate thought is that maybe the Tech fans are actually at work, earning a living, while the mutt fans are.....well, who knows what they are doing?

Well according to your handle they would be at McDonalds serving up value meals. But seriously, i graduated from UGA not once, but twice, and while all the old rivalry stuff is fun, the stereotype of "ha ha we're smart, you're dumb" doesnt play anymore.

I dont doubt the validity of their 9 out of 10 marketing research, but the question remains, why would you tick off a whole fanbase and completely ignore them as a revenue stream simply to pander to another.

Maybe i am wrong, but I have a hard time believing that if they mentioned tech more often and in a respectful manner that the dwags would stay away in droves.

Well according to your handle they would be at McDonalds serving up value meals. But seriously, i graduated from UGA not once, but twice, and while all the old rivalry stuff is fun, the stereotype of "ha ha we're smart, you're dumb" doesnt play anymore.

I dont doubt the validity of their 9 out of 10 marketing research, but the question remains, why would you tick off a whole fanbase and completely ignore them as a revenue stream simply to pander to another.

Maybe i am wrong, but I have a hard time believing that if they mentioned tech more often and in a respectful manner that the dwags would stay away in droves.
You actually went there and got degrees, but the vast majority of mutt fans probably didn't even finish HS. Otherwise, I agree with your logic.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer

I honestly think a station that gave decent coverage to Tech might even get an increase in callers, as you'd end up with a bunch of Dwags calling in to complain about us. It's like the "hate watching" phenomenon, where people who claim to be totally against some show end up watching every episode so they can accurately complain about it.

I honestly think a station that gave decent coverage to Tech might even get an increase in callers, as you'd end up with a bunch of Dwags calling in to complain about us. It's like the "hate watching" phenomenon, where people who claim to be totally against some show end up watching every episode so they can accurately complain about it.
What's interesting is how many mutts TROLL the Tech blogs on the AJC site. That pretty much confirms what you say: give us some air time, and just watch the mutts whine and scream. Tech gets the coverage we deserve, and the station still doesn't lose listeners.

gameface

Jolly Good Fellow
I have scanned through once and a while, but can't really tell you the names of who I hear. My main complaint is the lack of depth in their comments
about Tech. They will start by saying something negative about Tech with no real reasons for why they think what they have said. If someone calls to
question them on it; all they can say is that they are right cause "they played the game". Shows they really spend little time actually paying attention
to Tech.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck

. Lets be real for a moment. Since I have started liking GT I have run into over 50 total ******* UGA fans missing teeth and driving rust buckets. Your thinking about people who actually graduated. The vast majority of people you see wearing UGA ( Walmart ) clothes prob did not grad from highschool. People who actually work for a living don't have time to listen to those dumbass radio jocks. They are playing to their uneducated fan base. Just this past Friday I was waiting for a table at a Logan's in Gainesville. If I had a camera and took a picture of what was wearing UGA clothes, it would like a episode of swamp people visit the Alaska bush family. No one is saying if you graduated from UGA that your a dumbass. I did and do ok. The fact remains that the majority of people " pulling for the dawgs" are not the type who can relate to a Engieering school. Do yourself a favor and just don't listen. They are playing to their audience. Screw them. I will tell them they suck next time I see them set up at a GT event. Two faced losers. They kiss *** when interviewing live. You would think they would praise GT but they slam GT every chance they get. They are just like the majority of people who listen to them. F them. Go Javkets !

Last edited: