9 teams have not lost a game

Atomic Jacket

Banned
Do I think Atomic has a more pessimistic view than I do? Probably, because I refuse to look at any game as a loss. However, he is not that crazy. Looking at the remaining games as toss ups is not that far off. I would throw UGA and CLEM into that same category, however. Even in his own way, he has admitted to some poor predictions to start the year.

The healthiest, and probably most realistic stance to take is that GT is in for some battles the rest of the way. I see us as favorites in several, but probably not prohibitively so in any. We have won all 5 to this point, but we have holes and cannot overlook ANYBODY. I am proud of what we have accomplished, but those rays of sunshine are not blinding me either. My focus right now, as it is pretty much every week, is finding a way to beat DOOK (the next team). This is a game we are probably favored to win, but we could easily lose. We are not a team with huge margins to offset poor business practices.

The only game I've really been surprised about is VT. I anticipated wins over Wofford, Tulane, and Ga Southern. I called Miami a toss-up slightly favoring Miami. Sorry for patting myself on the back but there's a whole lot of misinformation in this thread.

Duke is also a toss-up., but I'm favoring Tech.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@Atomic Jacket What were your win loss predictions from each week?

I will admit I came into the season saying 9 and 3, but by GSU, I was thinking 7 and 5 was real possible. Now I don't know what to think as 12 and 0 and 8 and 4 seem possible. That is why we play the game.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think we just saw the template for the rest of our games. Play adequate D, sit on the ball like a slug, and score at the end of most drives. If we do that for the rest of our games and continue to improve - and we improved this week - then we could beat everyone on our schedule. How do you beat Clempson? Keep Watson off the field. How do you beat Ugag? Keep Gurley off the field. Rinse and repeat. And if there's one guy in college coaching who believes in rinse and repeat, it's Paul Johnson.

But I never predict something like college football games; too variable. I'd say we're a lot closer to the ACC championship game and 9 - 10 wins now then we were two weeks ago, however.

Atomic Jacket

Banned
@Atomic Jacket What were your win loss predictions from each week?

I will admit I came into the season saying 9 and 3, but by GSU, I was thinking 7 and 5 was real possible. Now I don't know what to think as 12 and 0 and 8 and 4 seem possible. That is why we play the game.
Preseason I had us at 5-7. I don't remember what the predictions were week to week. I think it was 6-6 at one point. 9-3 is the best outlook I've had to date.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
To be honest, in the preseason I figured we would be 3-2 at this point with a loss against one of UNC/Duke, NCst/UVA, and losses to Clemson and GA. Things are looking brighter, but we still have to play our best every Saturday.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Atomic is now up to where Atomic Football is :rolleyes: at 9-3 http://atomicfootball.com/archive/teams/tm_9.html

Atomic Football started the season with us at 9-3 and went down to 8-4 after we didn't do so well score wise against the first three teams (gave up a lot of points).

I think 9-3 is the most realistic view. Here's why. To win the Miami game we needed no turnovers; there will be turnovers by "accident" because that's the nature of football. We get a few of those and expose the D for 35 minutes of the game in a hurry up 80+ play game per side and we have our weakness exposed. Plus we were very fortunate to beat VT - in the 4th quarter there were 4 or 5 plays which if they had gone the other way we lose.

Here are the remaining games and Atomic (Football) probability of a GT win:
Duke 63% - about right
@UNC 55% - that looks low based on how UNC has been playing. But playing them at their place we have had problems on and off. They have the athletes and could very well throw caution to the wind - go for it on 4th and 1 at their own 34 and make it consistently, get confidence and get rolling. They must have a lot of hate built up.
@ Pitt 52% - that is a toss up by Atomic but I think it is low too. Pitt wasn't that impressive against Louisville, but we have to play them away. Pitt is 3-3 and lost their last 3 including a home loss to Akron (3-2).
UVa 72% - wow this is high given how the UVa D is coming on this year. But I think we win this one because know how big of game it is and it's at home. Should be a good crowd for homecoming.
@NCState 69% - NC State is 4-2 with those losses to FSU ("quality" loss) and Clemson. They could be a sleeper and if they get up 24 on us in the first qtr @ home, I doubt we come back.
Clemson 29% - if it were at Clemson it would be in the teens. Probable loss given their D and O. But hey our ST may very well be better!
@UGAg 20% - Probable loss. UGAg game at the end of the season is not good since they have a lot more depth to weather the inevitable injuries. UGAg will be pissed that they aren't in the SEC championship.

Anyway the Atomic odds of us winning all our Coastal games (which would almost guarantee a Coastal win with at most 2 Atlantic losses max) is 13% (=.63*.55*.52*.72):love:

BTW, the odds of making a bowl are up to 99.6% :barefoot:

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
And just how accurate has atomicfootball been predicting our games? How accurate in predicting other teams?.......I have never checked them out but those percentages don't pass my eye test. Garbage in garbage out.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
And just how accurate has atomicfootball been predicting our games? How accurate in predicting other teams?.......I have never checked them out but those percentages don't pass my eye test. Garbage in garbage out.

One of the best, I have found rankings of all prediction services and they are consistently up there in the 70-80% range for wins. The best (the line) is about 80%. It's the nature of CFB to be unpredictable - or college athletics like predicting the final 4.

Atomic had us as 7 point favorites over Miami, most everyone else had it as +/- 2 points. Atomic also had us a 1 point favorites over VT. But of course they will be "rong" too, bet they had Alabama and Oregon favored too. So just throw them out :dead: