'51-'53 Tech highlights

BillVol

Georgia Tech Fan
More and more old CFB videos are popping up on YouTube. Some great highlights here. Nice to see Leon Hardeman of LaFayette, GA, and Billy Teas of Andrews, NC. Growing up in Chattanooga, we always heard those names because they played at Baylor School. I believe Hardeman started out at LaFayette HS before playing one year at Baylor.

I think this is my first post here. I used to post on another Tech board, but it is a pay board now. Tech has always been my second favorite team.

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
More and more old CFB videos are popping up on YouTube. Some great highlights here. Nice to see Leon Hardeman of LaFayette, GA, and Billy Teas of Andrews, NC. Growing up in Chattanooga, we always heard those names because they played at Baylor School. I believe Hardeman started out at LaFayette HS before playing one year at Baylor.

I think this is my first post here. I used to post on another Tech board, but it is a pay board now. Tech has always been my second favorite team.

Don't know for certain in Hardeman's case, but lots of guys used to play for & graduate from their local HS, then go to a prep school to either get bigger & stronger, or get their grades in order. Pete Brown from Rossville was another.

Baylor, McCallie, BGA, TMI, and Sewanee, just like Fork Union (VA), McGill down in Mobile, one or two others in Memphis, et al, used to do this.

Welcome Aboard!

THWG!

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
I attended the 1952 Tech Army game. Army had just had a huge scandal of some sort. Had been a national power.
Great memories. Thanks for posting.
One of the first USMA academic cheating scandals..... some football players got "the word," in violation of the USMA Honor Code WTTE "A cadet will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do." The players tried to justify it by how much time HFC Col Red Blaik's football practices ate up a large part of the day & cut time available for study.

They had another in the mid 70s and again 3 or 4 years ago.

USNA has had their share, too, usually related to the Celestial Navigation course, but also such areas as physics..

BillVol

Georgia Tech Fan
Don't know for certain in Hardeman's case, but lots of guys used to play for & graduate from their local HS, then go to a prep school to either get bigger & stronger, or get their grades in order. Pete Brown from Rossville was another.

Baylor, McCallie, BGA, TMI, and Sewanee, just like Fork Union (VA), McGill down in Mobile, one or two others in Memphis, et al, used to do this.

Welcome Aboard!

THWG!
I didn't know Pete Brown played at a prep school after Rossville. Do you remember where?

Glad to be here. Thank you! The first major college football game I ever attended was Tech vs Navy in 1971 at Grant Field. Was a great day. You ask any Tennessee fan of a certain age what game he misses the most, and the answer is usually Tech. Playing in Atlanta was awesome.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

1952 Jackets were loaded with talent having six All Americans of one kind or another. Leon Hardeman had a great game against Ole Miss in the Sugar Bowl.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I didn't know Pete Brown played at a prep school after Rossville. Do you remember where?

Glad to be here. Thank you! The first major college football game I ever attended was Tech vs Navy in 1971 at Grant Field. Was a great day. You ask any Tennessee fan of a certain age what game he misses the most, and the answer is usually Tech. Playing in Atlanta was awesome.
My dad had a math class with Pete. He said that Brown was the smartest guy in the class and was a great football player as well.

alagold

Helluva Engineer

The Tech/Tn game in '66? was a classic throwback from the 40s. 6-3 score --just getting a first down was tough

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
Mea culpa: I could be mistaken..... can't find it anywhere.... even in the Obits & tribute articles.... but Baylor seemed to have been Dodd's prep school of choice..... and yes, a few did come out of McCallie & Notre Dame.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Mea culpa: I could be mistaken..... can't find it anywhere.... even in the Obits & tribute articles.... but Baylor seemed to have been Dodd's prep school of choice..... and yes, a few did come out of McCallie & Notre Dame.
Pete Brown graduated from my alma mater Rossville High, according to this:

"Brown came to Tech from his hometown, Rossville., Ga., where he was all-State in football and basketball."

I didn't think he went anywhere else but Rossville High.

Last edited:

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
That's a great film! Darrell Crawford remi9nds me of Justin Thomas and Hardeman was a slightly faster Roibert Godhigh.

And, yes, that 1966 Tech - UT game was a real disappointment. But … Johnny Majors was a right good QB. No slouch as a coach either, though his dad was probably better.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Anybody notice the dark jerseys Tech wore from time to time in that video?

confused jeff bridges GIF

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
The Tech/Tn game in '66? was a classic throwback from the 40s. 6-3 score --just getting a first down was tough
Yes, I was there with my parents. Late in the game, Tennessee was down 6-3 and quick kicked down to the Tech 10 yard line or so. My father told my mother watch this we will see some Tennessee football now with Tech backed up. Snow managed to get a first down to thwart that strategy and Tech held on against the #8 ranked Vols. Tennessee beat one of Dodd's deepest and very best teams in the 1950s by a similar score using the single wing. Dodd quoted General Neyland's sayings for winning football: "Axioms he called them (Dodd speaking of Neyland) The belief being that defense and kicking should be the foundation for a winning football program.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Yes, I was there with my parents. Late in the game, Tennessee was down 6-3 and quick kicked down to the Tech 10 yard line or so. My father told my mother watch this we will see some Tennessee football now with Tech backed up. Snow managed to get a first down to thwart that strategy and Tech held on against the #8 ranked Vols. Tennessee beat one of Dodd's deepest and very best teams in the 1950s by a similar score using the single wing. Dodd quoted General Neyland's sayings for winning football: "Axioms he called them (Dodd speaking of Neyland) The belief being that defense and kicking should be the foundation for a winning football program.

My high school coach played for Neyland as a freshman but got called up for military service and finished his playing career elsewhere after serving in the military. He expanded Neyland's "axioms" to 10 when he coached. When I started coaching I used 7 of his "axioms". My old coach passed on to me a copy of the original Neyland "axioms" which I still have. Wording has changed slightly but the message is clear". These are a sample:
team that makes the fewest mistakes wins
press the kicking game as that is where most mistakes are made
follow the ball and gang tackle
play under full speed at all times
keep your poise
if a break comes your way take advantage and score
the team that won't be beat cannot be beat