50 day campaign Go support TechWayNIL

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I'm holding off on this and my annual GTAA donation as of right now. J Batt is announcing another fund raising program this week, I wanna see what thats all about.. Im also playing financial catch up as I just got paid for a big job. (I've been waiting on that before I donated anything.)

However, a good deal of money (to me) is headed out of my account to GT over the course of this upcoming week; Tech Way, GTAA, whatever J Batt is announcing & season ticket renewal.

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
This is going to sound bad but If I give money to TechwayNIL I want it to go for football only, is there a way to specify where your money goes? I am really strongly considering signing up for a monthly donation and I want it to go to the sport I care about the most you know?
Can someone give me a quick synopsis of where the NIL donations go and how it is distributed to the athletes and how they get paid? I just don't know how that works and have not seen anything on how it works at Tech. I read it is the wild wild west around the country. As a former Tech student-athlete, I cannot imagine how it works. In 1968 we got money for 4 season tickets, laundry money, and money for Sunday night dinners. All that averaged about $15 dollars a week. Sorry for not knowing, maybe everyone else who gives knows.

Swarm-Phinny

Georgia Tech Fan
Can someone give me a quick synopsis of where the NIL donations go and how it is distributed to the athletes and how they get paid? I just don't know how that works and have not seen anything on how it works at Tech. I read it is the wild wild west around the country. As a former Tech student-athlete, I cannot imagine how it works. In 1968 we got money for 4 season tickets, laundry money, and money for Sunday night dinners. All that averaged about $15 dollars a week. Sorry for not knowing, maybe everyone else who gives knows.
honestly it works like pro free agency with no salary cap. They TechWayNIL as far as I know tries to give every player a piece of the pie but some players get more based on value. Same way the best pro players on a team get the most money.
What’s the latest progress?

IMG_3374.jpeg

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
honestly it works like pro free agency with no salary cap. They TechWayNIL as far as I know tries to give every player a piece of the pie but some players get more based on value. Same way the best pro players on a team get the most money.

View attachment 15239
And to really illustrate the gap between the haves and have nots, some of the factory teams are talking about paying $1m+ for a single player...

Last edited:

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
And to really illustrat the gap between the haves and have nots, some of the factory teams are talking about paying $1m+ for a single player...
From the rumor mill (use that as you may) some schools, including the one to the East, are starting to have walk-ons fully funded by NIL. So rather than a max of 85 scholarships, it can be up to 120 with NIL.

Yet it's still the refs fault and 3 players missing that the score was so close.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
From the rumor mill (use that as you may) some schools, including the one to the East, are starting to have walk-ons fully funded by NIL. So rather than a max of 85 scholarships, it can be up to 120 with NIL.

Yet it's still the refs fault and 3 players missing that the score was so close.
This has been my concern since NIL landed. Scholarship limits, as well as reductions, were one of the few weapons left for the NCAA to create some semblance of parity and rule enforcement. NIL makes it relatively meaningless for the factories.

The lack of any real threat to a program is also likely driving more risky behavior in the cheating arena, such as tampering with the transfers. The attitude is like "Go ahead, punish us. We don't care."

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't doubt it, if i were key id come close to the same offer (maybe a ATL penthouse and an assistant head coaching job) but in all seriousness I would show him what Nate McCollum has done with NC compared to GT last year.
UNC recruited Tez Walker over him and he became their main WR once eligible. McCollum became expendable in their offense from then on. They did try to get him involved in the bowl game but without Maye their offense wasn't very good. I do think McCollum may have second thoughts now. We are just fine without him.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
So does the NCAA not even police football anymore? How is schools collecting NIL funds not outright paying players to play for them? Serious question.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
So does the NCAA not even police football anymore? How is schools collecting NIL funds not outright paying players to play for them? Serious question.
The NCAA amended its rules around NIL in 2022, such that schools can have what amounts to a business affiliation with an NIL collective. The school itself cannot administer payments or negotiate amounts but can promote an NIL collective like TheTechWay.com.