1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

50 best programs over 150 years

Discussion in 'Georgia Tech Football' started by GTRX7, Aug 15, 2019.

1. GT_05

GT_05 Helluva Engineer

Yes, I read all of the criteria for their model. Just because you know all of the ingredients in the soup, it doesn’t mean it’s good soup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. knoxjacket

knoxjacket Helluva Engineer

What Mount Union has done is far more impressive than what Miami has. They aren’t artificially boosted. They are more successful against their peers than Miami is against theirs.

3. GT_05

GT_05 Helluva Engineer

Their peers are other college athletes, including Miami. How do you think MU would’ve held up against UM?

4. GT99

GT99 Jolly Good Fellow

I agree. But many people in this thread don't seem to have read them. And there are some suggestions in this thread that are less rational than their approach - more the homer "I don't like where we're rated" response than rational. Their criteria is far from perfect, but it's pretty rational at a base level (using primarily winning percentage, with National championships as factor). Personally, I wouldn't consider lower level teams (doesn't make sense to compare Mt. Union with Alabama, etc), and I probably would only consider the last 100 years - before that, it wasn't really even the same game. But that's just my opinion.

GT_05 likes this.
  5. knoxjacket

knoxjacket Helluva Engineer

Their peers are other programs with non-scholarship true student-athletes and they dominate them.

6. GTRX7

GTRX7 Helluva Engineer

Why not rank schools with only club teams that play against schools with only club teams? I played some really competitive water polo matches while at Tech against Auburn and the like! Where does it stop?

GT_05 likes this.
  7. takethepoints

takethepoints Helluva Engineer

It came out in 2011, but I like this one better:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...nking-the-top-50-programs-of-all-time#slide31

Tech comes in at 20. I think that's about right, when the overall record is considered.

And, btw, where is Sewanee in the ratings? We should get a shout out for the 1899 season alone. The Tigers also have two members in the National Football Hall of Fame. Which, I might add, is one more then North Dakota State.

I mean fair is fair here.

GT_05 likes this.
  8. Supersizethatorder-mutt

Supersizethatorder-mutt Helluva Engineer

Even in that one, I think Georgia and Miami are ranked too high, possibly Florida too, and Bama is not ranked high enough. In some cases it seems to put too much weight on recent years rather than overall history.

9. GT_05

GT_05 Helluva Engineer

So you’d be okay if you saw Doug Flutie listed as the best pro QB of all time? I mean, this is absolutely true...if you’re talking about the CFL. If you throw him in with NFL QBs, he wouldn’t even make the top 25.

10. bke1984

bke1984 Helluva Engineer

Why stop there. Grambling is probably better than Green Bay based on this dude’s criteria.

Kmur5 and GT_05 like this.
  11. GT_05

GT_05 Helluva Engineer

POTD.