5 Teams that Will Benefit from the Bowl Hype in 2015

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
The Yellow Jackets got rolling toward season’s end. They beat Clemson and Georgia and nearly took down FSU in the ACC title game. GT capped things off beating Top 10 Mississippi State by multiple touchdowns. QB Justin Thomas returns. But, seven of Georgia Tech’s top eight running backs and their top two receivers were seniors last year. The Yellow Jacket defense does not leave much margin for error. It’s not a long fall back to the 6-7 win range.

http://thebiglead.com/2015/01/05/5-college-football-teams-that-will-benefit-from-bowl-hype-in-2015/

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Meh not much research done here. No mention of the defense returning a ton and no mention of the OL returning a ton (MUCH more important than RBs returning - especially in a scheme offense like ours). Not far to the 6-7 win range? We only fell to 6 wins once under CPJ and our star QB broke his arm. Averaged around 8.5/season under CPJ. More likely we win 11 than 6. 9-3 would be a reasonable guess given the schedule.

Faulkner475

Georgia Tech Fan
Meh not much research done here. No mention of the defense returning a ton and no mention of the OL returning a ton (MUCH more important than RBs returning - especially in a scheme offense like ours). Not far to the 6-7 win range? We only fell to 6 wins once under CPJ and our star QB broke his arm. Averaged around 8.5/season under CPJ. More likely we win 11 than 6. 9-3 would be a reasonable guess given the schedule.

Wouldn't put too much stock in this particular writer. He's had Paul Johnson on the hot seat for at least the last three years.

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
Wouldn't put too much stock in this particular writer. He's had Paul Johnson on the hot seat for at least the last three years.

To say the seat was hot 3 years ago is a stretch. To say it was hot last summer is not. I personally never bought in to all the critic's myths surrounding CPJ and his scheme, but just wanted better results than 7 wins a year. I'm sure many feel the same way.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
This will probably be the same rationale for lower preseason predictions. Writers, like most people, are loathe to admit they are wrong and will look for reasons to explain why any errors were just aberrations. After years of underestimation, you would think they would learn but they are the experts in their own minds. Maybe had they gone to Tech they would reason better :)

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Shoot guys we are always or should win at least seven a year plus.Onlly time we take hit are when VT and Miami and Clemson find out how to play us..we will win at least eight next year.............go jackets.

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
JT's ability gives us lots of optimism. Plus we should have complete confidence in our coaching staff and trainers. The cupboard doesn't look quite as bleak as it did going into last season. Nevertheless, we lose some great seniors like Perkins, Laskey, Days, Mason, Smelter, Hill, Waller, Nealy, Green, etc. who brought a whole lot of real good things to the table, especially attitude.

If next year's seniors step up like this year's seniors, we should do just fine. If not, we can at least revel about the team that was. :cigar:

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
I don't worry about the character of the 2015 team as I think the upcoming seniors will "carry the torch" reliably onward from this year. Also believe that from a personnel aspect, we should be improved. My 3 main concerns are d-line, injuries and "bad-luck" (ref calls, "bad bounces" etc). Since we only control 1 of those 3, I will continue to be guarded in my optimism, but I am certainly hoping for another exceptional year. One thing for sure is that no one on our schedule has checked us off as a certain win for them. We will be a big game for anyone we play.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Mack

Helluva Engineer
JT's ability gives us lots of optimism. Plus we should have complete confidence in our coaching staff and trainers. The cupboard doesn't look quite as bleak as it did going into last season. Nevertheless, we lose some great seniors like Perkins, Laskey, Days, Mason, Smelter, Hill, Waller, Nealy, Green, etc. who brought a whole lot of real good things to the table, especially attitude.

If next year's seniors step up like this year's seniors, we should do just fine. If not, we can at least revel about the team that was. :cigar:
See your point but like folks say its early.I am still not sold on how good we can be since the guys on the other side of the line have something to do with our wins and losses but we need to be good........last time I got this high was first year of PJ and we beat Ga and had everybody back it seemed except DL and we didnt seem to play as well .......to go seven and five would be a slap in the face.......of course with JT I cant see it but we need to destroy this idea we are a flash in the pan.HWGA

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
See your point but like folks say its early.I am still not sold on how good we can be since the guys on the other side of the line have something to do with our wins and losses but we need to be good........last time I got this high was first year of PJ and we beat Ga and had everybody back it seemed except DL and we didnt seem to play as well .......to go seven and five would be a slap in the face.......of course with JT I cant see it but we need to destroy this idea we are a flash in the pan.HWGA
Yeah Mack, it's early. I remember too well the year immediately following the 1990 championship team. Sometimes things just don't fall into place as well for whatever reasons. But they sure came together very well in 2014...schedule, coaching, senior leadership, team camaraderie, injury substitutions, game plans, scheme adjustments, etc. I loved every minute of it and will keep on enjoying it for a long time to come whether or not it plays out as well next year.

There is little question in my mind that next year can present a considerably greater test. We could possibly be an even better team but with a worse record...that funny shaped ball sure can take some crazy bounces. Nevertheless, we have a lot to be optimistic about as well. Our guys will know what they have to do and more importantly, they will know they can do it even in the face of considerable adversity.

As Yogi Berra said, "What we have here is an insurmountable opportunity." And that, in short summary, is what GA Tech is all about and why Tech graduates usually do very well in life.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
I can remember being so excited about the 91 team and telling all my mutt friends we going to be back to back champions! Reality set in when we played Penn state first game.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I will say this now...if we are able to reproduce next year what we did this year, or possibly improve on it, we'll be looked at as a legitimate program again. This hasn't happened except once since the Dodd years, and that was the GOL/RF years with JH/GG. 1990 was a flash because we were 7-4 the year before and 8-5 the year after, with Ross then leaving.

I love the kids we're getting now, but if we win 10 games or more next year, we may well turn the corner on high-level recruiting as well. I''m thinking about this program with all the high 3/low 4's we're getting now, with a sprinkling of those 1-8 guys each year. With that, we're a legitimate NC threat every year.

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
last time I got this high was first year of PJ and we beat Ga and had everybody back it seemed except DL and we didnt seem to play as well

Say wut? We won the ACC and went to the Orange Bowl in CPJ's second year. The following year, Nesbitt's career was terminated in Blacksburg.....

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
I can remember being so excited about the 91 team and telling all my mutt friends we going to be back to back champions! Reality set in when we played Penn state first game.
good call, I too remember exactly that
right now about 80% of our high hopes for next yr are tied up with JT--take him out for any reason and we are 7-5 team at best.Probably won't happen but do you really think Byerly can beat ND,fsu,clem,vt and uga with mostly new backs and WRs?

Mack

Helluva Engineer
good call, I too remember exactly that
right now about 80% of our high hopes for next yr are tied up with JT--take him out for any reason and we are 7-5 team at best.Probably won't happen but do you really think Byerly can beat ND,fsu,clem,vt and uga with mostly new backs and WRs?
Agree ....the saying goes "as JT goes so do the Jackets" I think that is true without him we are ave.

reubenjet

Jolly Good Fellow
Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
The Yellow Jackets got rolling toward season’s end. They beat Clemson and Georgia and nearly took down FSU in the ACC title game. GT capped things off beating Top 10 Mississippi State by multiple touchdowns. QB Justin Thomas returns. But, seven of Georgia Tech’s top eight running backs and their top two receivers were seniors last year. The Yellow Jacket defense does not leave much margin for error. It’s not a long fall back to the 6-7 win range.

http://thebiglead.com/2015/01/05/5-college-football-teams-that-will-benefit-from-bowl-hype-in-2015/
So what's the "benefit" he assumes we are receiving from this bowl hype?