4th & 18 or 19

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I wasn't going to say it, but going for it on 4th and 18, to me, was an indictment of our defense. To me, Collins was saying that even if we punted, he thought they'd drive the length of the field and score before halftime.
I think we knew early on that Collins is not a game coach, as defined by tactical decisions made in the moment. It is hard to articulate without making comparisons, but: I thought Chan Gailey and in-game decisions were mortal enemies. Collins is approaching that threshhold. On the other hand Johnson was on top of every play plus he had a natural knack, if you will, of being able to see every player on the field as the plays developed. I don't know that he gets any credit for what amounts to a natural gift, but he sure knew how to use it.

Collins has no gift for those decisions and apparently doesn't trust his OC to make the calls. (I don't think either the DC or OC can get a fair review as long as they work for Collins. Right now we have a three-way dance there with an AD responsible for the mess doing his best Sergeant Schultz routine. It amounts to a profession that we are getting better but he wishes we were getting better.)

Lastly I dread the thought of us winning four games in 2022 and having to hear all the talk of improvement.