4th & 18 or 19

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
And you go for it? Hahaha. I defended these guys for awhile but that’s just laughable. Mods clean this up and put it where you see fit but I am at a loss for words.

You basically gave BC a short field with 3 minutes left and gave them points and momentum going into half. This **** is indefensible.

I’m embarrassed to be a tech fan today.

Carober18

Georgia Tech Fan
And you go for it? Hahaha. I defended these guys for awhile but that’s just laughable. Mods clean this up and put it where you see fit but I am at a loss for words.

You basically gave BC a short field with 3 minutes left and gave them points and momentum going into half. This **** is indefensible.

I’m embarrassed to be a tech fan today.
I don't know what that playcalling was (not just that play but the 5 or so before that as well), what they're doing in the secondary and what the hell they're doing on 2-minute offense with clock management. Embarrassing for the coaches, not even to mention the penalties.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
And the clock management. OMG. He has 52 seconds left in the half and two timeouts, and doesn't call one of them until we go out of bounds with three seconds left. He should have called time immediately after Gibbs' seven-yard catch. Just completely inexplicable. Is Collins just out to lunch, or what?

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
I do not understand the logic of playcalling from CDP or CGC. Feels like they don’t know the down, the time, or the yardage. Theyre just calling whatever the feel.

slugboy

Staff member
You’re at the 34 yard line. A punt is a lot more likely to put the ball at their 20 than inside their 10.

On third down, we ran, probably with the hope of getting the ball in field goal range. I totally understand going for it from the BC 34 on 4th and 19 when you don’t think you can convert the field goal.

To me, the third down play call is more questionable.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Between going for it, punting, or kicking a 51 yard field goal on 4th and 18, going for it is absolutely the worst decision. 4th and 10 or less? Maybe that changes things, but the clock and game management the last 2 drives of the half was atrocious

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
We weren’t in the 34.

Edit: okay we were on the 34. 51 yarder.

Don’t know why we didn’t try to kick. The announcers were talking t about. 65 yard attempt and Cimaglia attempting a 60 yarder against NIU.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
We weren’t in the 34.
25085468-6163-47BE-B3E3-C0762BF95C25.png

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
I know why we didn’t kick.

Refer back to the press conference about Geoffs big book of football for dummies they keep on the sideline.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
49 seconds with 2 timeouts and we run 4 plays. In year three. That says it all. No matter how many 4-5 stars you recruits, game management like that will lose you more close games than *elite" talent will win. And that will always be the difference between having so so years vs great ones.
This is why I’m in the camp that it’s a matter of when, not if. To be as inconsistent as we are, we compound it by making bad coaching decisions.
I remember us laughing at Kentucky in the bowl because UK made the same sort of clock management mistake in the first half. Now we are that team, weekly.

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah. Pretty sure the chance of making a 51 yarder are much higher than a 4th & 18. Maybe the wind was swirling. Still stupid.
I can see a field goal being unlikely with the conditions, but 4th & 18 wasn’t going to happen. I like Yates but pushing a throw down field in that case isn’t utilizing his strengths nor do we block well enough. I’d rather punt it and pin BC deep. I don’t know if Yates can quick punt but that seemed like a better option to me or just bring in the punt team.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I do not understand the logic of playcalling from CDP or CGC. Feels like they don’t know the down, the time, or the yardage. Theyre just calling whatever the feel.
The commentators in the Miami game were saying things like “this offense is not made for 3rd and long” and “this offense can’t afford to get behind schedule”

Most guys on TV speak in cliches so I don’t buy this talk at all. But I thought it was ironic given the fans who bought that kind of mindless word salad as a legitimate critique of our former coach.