4 Downs: GA Tech Makes Statement with Orange Bowl Win

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
No. 10 GA Tech (11-3) capped off arguably its best season under head coach Paul Johnson (even though it didn't win the ACC this time around) by thumping No. 8 Mississippi State (10-3) by a final score of 49-34. Mississippi State is still an emerging SEC program that spent time at No. 1 throughout the year, and the Bulldogs will be just fine. But this was a statement game for the Yellow Jackets, a program that is perennially doubted, and boy did they make it.

1) ANY NARRATIVE ABOUT GEORGIA TECH'S OFFENSE UNDER PAUL JOHNSON WENT OUT THE WINDOW

2) LIKE THE ALABAMA GAME, THE MISSISSIPPI STATE OFFENSE GOT GOING ONLY WHEN IT WAS TOO LATE

3) WHEN YOU HAVE A GREAT QUARTERBACK, ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE

4) GEORGIA TECH'S DEFENSE WAS ABLE TO DO JUST ENOUGH, AND IT'S ONLY GOING TO IMPROVE AFTER THIS YEAR

http://www.foxsports.com/carolinas/...h-makes-statement-with-orange-bowl-win-010115

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
Did I misread or did the article mention JT coming back for his senior season?

Not sure she realizes Thomas is only a sophomore.

She also messed up and said Gotsis is gone next year. He's only a junior and no way in Hades he declares for the draft.

I'm also surprised she didn't say something about Synjyn Davis....

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
She also messed up and said Gotsis is gone next year. He's only a junior and no way in Hades he declares for the draft.

I'm also surprised she didn't say something about Synjyn Davis....
Right. It is Green that leaves, not Gotsis. Sloppy job of writing.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Most important point: the D is only going to improve. The guys played their butts off and gave everything on D, but without pressure on the QB most semi-competent or better offenses will scores lots of points.

I have seen the best GT O I have ever seen at the end of this season. It took all season of improvement to get there. I hope we can be better next year but it'll take at least 4-8 real games to get back up to the speed and impact we see now.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Right. It is Green that leaves, not Gotsis. Sloppy job of writing.
Actually sloppy fact checking and editing but I have to say that the actual message or points made in this write-up were really good and spot on. I think the press coverage of this game have been more than fair to Tech, and really also to Miss State who didn't deserve the kind of post-game propaganda that Mark May was dropping on us all when he reduced SEC had a bad day to state of Mississippi had a bad day.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
GA Tech is one of three teams (besides Oregon and Ohio State) to win three games against teams that won 10 or more games. Some teams ranked ahead of GA Tech (TCU, Kansas State and Michigan State) have no wins against teams with 10 or more wins.

Also, GA Tech is the only one of this group which has wins over THREE teams which will end up in the Top 15 (Clemson, UGA, and Mississippi State).

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
People can say what they want about Oregon's O, but GT's O is still better, imo.
GT's O scored 3.9 ppd against FSU, Oregon's O scored 4.0 ppd against FSU. When you consider that FSU's D gave up vs Oregon at the end, our O's performance stands out.
GT's O scored 4.5 ppd vs MissSt. As I've said before, that's crazy good.

CamBam

Georgia Tech Fan
I think the defense is relatively young and has the potential to be one of the best in the ACC and coupled with GTs offense should lead to another coastal title and championship game visit.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think the defense is relatively young and has the potential to be one of the best in the ACC and coupled with GTs offense should lead to another coastal title and championship game visit.

I really hope this is right. I agree that we have a lot of young talent. I'm still treading water on whether we're maximizing our talent on D.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I really hope this is right. I agree that we have a lot of young talent. I'm still treading water on whether we're maximizing our talent on D.

I took a look at the roster this morning, it surprised me just how young the D is and how many of the true fr and rs fr played this year. A real good nucleus of jr and rs jr coming back for next year and adding the youngsters with playing time bodes real well for Tech! Factor in the fr that redshirted this year and the the incoming fr the cupboard is getting well stocked!

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Actually sloppy fact checking and editing but I have to say that the actual message or points made in this write-up were really good and spot on. I think the press coverage of this game have been more than fair to Tech, and really also to Miss State who didn't deserve the kind of post-game propaganda that Mark May was dropping on us all when he reduced SEC had a bad day to state of Mississippi had a bad day.

Mark May = pompous "knowitall"
He also was confident that Alabama would show everyone that the sec was still the top conference as if the top conference =the top team in that conference. The top 3 teams in the sec lost their bowl games and uga beat a team they were highly favored to beat. Not exactly a dominant performance imho.