30 year anniversary of the 1991 Citrus Bowl win

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Certainly the grandest day of my watching Tech fball for 60 yrs and I was lucky enough to be there for it..I rewatched the game the other day and it brought back all the wonderful memories. Colorado ,a tie, with us my ***.
Of course it is amazing how quickly we grew into that team and then how quickly the momentum dissolved going forward.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Certainly the grandest day of my watching Tech fball for 60 yrs and I was lucky enough to be there for it..I rewatched the game the other day and it brought back all the wonderful memories. Colorado ,a tie, with us my ***.
Of course it is amazing how quickly we grew into that team and then how quickly the momentum dissolved going forward.
That's pretty much what Tom Osborne told the Colorado coach when he claimed their "supremacy".

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I got off work at 2 am that morning, went to bed close to 3 am, slept for 2 hours and then got on a plane to Orlando. I remember passengers on my flight (Tech fans) changing into warm weather clothing in one of the Orlando Airport's restrooms. After the win I went down on the field with relatives. Later, I was so tired that I couldn't stay awake for the Notre Dame / Colorado game that evening. Interesting story, I know a retired coach that use to be the head football coach at a Big Ten school. He had been an assistant coach at Colorado a few years before 1990 and sometimes we kid about the final rankings. A couple of years ago he introduced me to a guy that was visiting him. It turned out that the fellow was another retired coach that had a Coaches' Poll vote when he was active. His acquaintance was going to vote for Colorado, but at the last minute changed his mind and voted for Georgia Tech.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I got off work at 2 am that morning, went to bed close to 3 am, slept for 2 hours and then got on a plane to Orlando. I remember passengers on my flight (Tech fans) changing into warm weather clothing in one of the Orlando Airport's restrooms. After the win I went down on the field with relatives. Later, I was so tired that I couldn't stay awake for the Notre Dame / Colorado game that evening. Interesting story, I know a retired coach that use to be the head football coach at a Big Ten school. He had been an assistant coach at Colorado a few years before 1990 and sometimes we kid about the final rankings. A couple of years ago he introduced me to a guy that was visiting him. It turned out that the fellow was another retired coach that had a Coaches' Poll vote when he was active. His acquaintance was going to vote for Colorado, but at the last minute changed his mind and voted for Georgia Tech.
what a great story.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Wow. Thirty years passed quickly.

We had a crew that went down and stayed at the Peabody with the team. Rode the elevator with Shawn Jones and was impressed with his maturity. Great party afterwards.

I tell the story that my eldest son was created after the Virginia game, was with us for the National Championship in Mommy. He would later graduate from Tech and is now a season ticket holder. I tell him he will get to see Tech win another Natty. Not sure he believes me. But he has stayed until the end of the game each season after he graduated.

That was a great season to be a Tech fan. One of the best trips up to Athens. By the start of the fourth quarter, the stadium was near empty. All the obnoxious fans around me were gone after halftime.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer

We had a crew that went down and stayed at the Peabody with the team. Rode the elevator with Shawn Jones and was impressed with his maturity. Great party afterwards.

I tell the story that my eldest son was created after the Virginia game, was with us for the National Championship in Mommy. He would later graduate from Tech and is now a season ticket holder. I tell him he will get to see Tech win another Natty. Not sure he believes me. But he has stayed until the end of the game each season after he graduated.

That was a great season to be a Tech fan. One of the best trips up to Athens. By the start of the fourth quarter, the stadium was near empty. All the obnoxious fans around me were gone after halftime.
I was there in 1990... & I don't believe you. 😉

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck

that happened to be my first Tech game ever. was 9 at the time

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

That was weird to have to share a national title with a team that had to have an extra down and a bogus block in the back call on the "Rocket" to even be in the conversation. That said, I was at the Nebraska game and fully expected to not only win but win convincingly. Imagine my shock at learning that the number two team in the nation was a two point underdog to the number 18 or so team. Ridiculous. To me it was never in doubt but others might have different memories.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I was there in 1990... & I don't believe you. 😉
Unless there are drastic changes in the way the NCAA does business or there is a new alignment of the programs with those that want to be NFL factories in one group and those that would prefer an education first and athletics second approach in another, Tech will not see another national championship in your lifetime or his. Not only that but even programs with access to a lot of very good players like Miami will have seen their last national championship team for a long time. It is that lopsided. More so than anytime in living memory. OHOH, we just saw the spectacle of a Cincy team whose BEST recruiting class was ranked number 41st in the last four years give away a game against UGA in the last minute.