3 More Bowl Games Coming in 2020?

Discussion in 'Georgia Tech Football' started by CuseJacket, Jun 12, 2018.

1. CuseJacket

CuseJacket Administrator Staff Member

2. RamblinWreck92

RamblinWreck92 Ramblin' Wreck

it's already mostly a participation trophy to get a bowl invite. might as well just have enough bowls so that No Team Gets Left Behind. Today's snowflakes need such ego boosting.

Heisman's Ghost likes this.
  3. takethepoints

takethepoints Helluva Engineer

Oh. My. God.

This is pretty crazy, admittedly. Still, if the cities involved (Myrtle Beach !?!) get up the cash and the TV folks want to pitch in, I suppose it'll happen. Makes calls for a real national Div 1 championship playoff system a lot more persuasive too. That's a plus, imho.

4. JacketFromUGA

JacketFromUGA Helluva Engineer

B1g v ACC is something I can get behind

5. MikeJackets1967

MikeJackets1967 Helluva Engineer

Way too many Bowl Games:rolleyes::banghead: Pretty soon 5-7 and 4-8 teams will be in quite a few Bowl Games:vomit:

6. JacketFromUGA

who cares all bowls except the playoffs are basically exhibitions anyway

7. GTFLETCH

GTFLETCH Helluva Engineer

I wonder if the ACC vs BIG at Wrigley will be an addition to the Detroit bowl or replace it

MikeJackets1967 likes this.
  8. forensicbuzz

forensicbuzz Helluva Engineer

I was talking to Jim Phillips, the AD at NW, and he was telling me the changes the Ricketts family has made to Wrigley to accommodate football. Turns out, the dugouts are now extractable, and the holes can be filled with dirt. The first 5 rows are retractable, so now the field can house a football game without both teams having to go the same direction. Looks like NW and Wisconsin have agreed to a Wrigley game in 2020. But, man, I wouldn't want to be in Wrigley in mid to late December for a Bowl Game.

9. RyanS12

RyanS12 Helluva Engineer

ACC coaches need to use the Chicago Bowl as motivation. Play .500 football and your *** gets rewarded with playing in a blizzard!

AE 87, MikeJackets1967 and TooTall like this.
  10. takethepoints

takethepoints Helluva Engineer

Ever seen the stadium at NW?

It's a U with the open end facing Lake Michigan. When the lake winds come in - like they do at every single game - things get frigid in nothing flat. Then there's the snow and a field frozen as hard as concrete. After a season playing in that, Wrigley Field in December would seem like Club Med.

MikeJackets1967 likes this.
  11. GTFLETCH

GTFLETCH Helluva Engineer

I would go to a Georgia Tech Bowl game in Chicago... But I would not go to Detroit....

12. Jmonty71

Jmonty71 Helluva Engineer

Bowls = Money. Money from TV ads. Money for the cities hosting the bowl. Money for the teams, in the bowl. Sadly, CFB has became VERY money driven.

13. dressedcheeseside

dressedcheeseside Helluva Engineer

I wonder if they are gonna put cardboard cutouts of fans in the seats for tv optics? Mid and lower tier bowl attendance is abysmal.

14. Vespidae

Vespidae Helluva Engineer

They can have 100 bowls. Ten matter. The rest ... just patter.

15. MikeJackets1967

I'll wind up watching them all:LOL::ROFLMAO::hilarious:;)

16. GTJoeBrew

GTJoeBrew Helluva Engineer

I know I’m not of the popular opinion but I am glued to my tv during bowl season. I get to see all kinds of times that I would never have watched otherwise. And many of them are super entertaining. That Bahama bowl a few years back still comes to mind as must watch. It was the first week of games iirc.

chewybaka, THWG and MikeJackets1967 like this.
  17. MikeJackets1967

Same here Joe(y)

18. MWBATL

MWBATL Helluva Engineer

Who gets excited to see a 5-7 Wake Forest team play a 5-7 Illinois team?

19. TheSilasSonRising

TheSilasSonRising Helluva Engineer

I think it is still true that most teams, in most Bowl games, lose money on the deal.

Money distribution from the bigger bowls might have negated this compared to days gone by.

But practicing for a bowl game with the same starting lineups & same coaches that gave you a 5-7 record is like pissing into a tropical storm.

20. JacketFromUGA

Some of you guys are clearly not college football fans as a whole. That's fine just continue watching only Tech games that's perfectly cool. Some of us like watching as much as possible though.

THWG and MikeJackets1967 like this.