3 More Bowl Games Coming in 2020?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Oh. My. God.

This is pretty crazy, admittedly. Still, if the cities involved (Myrtle Beach !?!) get up the cash and the TV folks want to pitch in, I suppose it'll happen. Makes calls for a real national Div 1 championship playoff system a lot more persuasive too. That's a plus, imho.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if the ACC vs BIG at Wrigley will be an addition to the Detroit bowl or replace it
I was talking to Jim Phillips, the AD at NW, and he was telling me the changes the Ricketts family has made to Wrigley to accommodate football. Turns out, the dugouts are now extractable, and the holes can be filled with dirt. The first 5 rows are retractable, so now the field can house a football game without both teams having to go the same direction. Looks like NW and Wisconsin have agreed to a Wrigley game in 2020. But, man, I wouldn't want to be in Wrigley in mid to late December for a Bowl Game.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I was talking to Jim Phillips, the AD at NW, and he was telling me the changes the Ricketts family has made to Wrigley to accommodate football. Turns out, the dugouts are now extractable, and the holes can be filled with dirt. The first 5 rows are retractable, so now the field can house a football game without both teams having to go the same direction. Looks like NW and Wisconsin have agreed to a Wrigley game in 2020. But, man, I wouldn't want to be in Wrigley in mid to late December for a Bowl Game.
Ever seen the stadium at NW?

It's a U with the open end facing Lake Michigan. When the lake winds come in - like they do at every single game - things get frigid in nothing flat. Then there's the snow and a field frozen as hard as concrete. After a season playing in that, Wrigley Field in December would seem like Club Med.

GTFLETCH

Banned
I would go to a Georgia Tech Bowl game in Chicago... But I would not go to Detroit....

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
I know I’m not of the popular opinion but I am glued to my tv during bowl season. I get to see all kinds of times that I would never have watched otherwise. And many of them are super entertaining. That Bahama bowl a few years back still comes to mind as must watch. It was the first week of games iirc.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Bowls = Money. Money from TV ads. Money for the cities hosting the bowl. Money for the teams, in the bowl. Sadly, CFB has became VERY money driven.

I think it is still true that most teams, in most Bowl games, lose money on the deal.

Money distribution from the bigger bowls might have negated this compared to days gone by.

But practicing for a bowl game with the same starting lineups & same coaches that gave you a 5-7 record is like pissing into a tropical storm.