3 games in, how good is our coaching?

slugboy

Staff member
(or 2 games in, if you don't think Shorter counts).

I can tell it's not the same coaching staff in the way they play. But, the players are a lot different , Heath has been suspended, and we haven't played anyone of note.

I've heard other fans say the coaching in the first couple of games sucked, but I've got no idea why other than playing closer in exhibition games that a strong team would have.

Probably too early to judge, but is the team headed in the right direction?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

I can tell it's not the same coaching staff in the way they play. But, the players are a lot different , Heath has been suspended, and we haven't played anyone of note.

I've heard other fans say the coaching in the first couple of games sucked, but I've got no idea why other than playing closer in exhibition games that a strong team would have.

Like you said, it's way early to know anything. Anyone already making a judgment at this point already had his/her mind made up before we played minute 1.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
I can see that several players appear dramatically different (and better) than in prior seasons.

I can see a system being implemented that includes fast tempo, floor spacing, transition offense, high post screens, and zone(s).

All of these shiny new things are coaching and I am optimistic about what I see.

/

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
I can see that several players appear dramatically different (and better) than in prior seasons.

I can see a system being implemented that includes fast tempo, floor spacing, transition offense, high post screens, and zone(s).

All of these shiny new things are coaching and I am optimistic about what I see.

/

Agree that we can clearly see an emphasis on pace and a lot more motion than we ever saw on offense with Gregory. That alone has me hopeful.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

1-Shorter doesn't count.

2- Better than the last 6 years

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
this post reminds me of the ajc..... one of these days we will see a number of articles with the same heading. heh

x points in the on the win/loss yesterday. the ajc seems to love articles with 'points' these days.

good post for discussion!

gtpi

Helluva Engineer

imo it will take a bit for the coaching "team" to mesh.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
One thing has confused me.

The other night Jax hit about 4 shots in a row and and CJP inexplicably left him in the game? I wonder if one of our former coaches was watching and wondering what the hell that was all about
Yea WTF is was up with that? Corey could've gave him a good rest there.

99jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think you can't make a fair assessment at this point. It really will be hard to all year when you combine the new coach with a lack of talent. It is hard to tell when we don't execute if it is due to a lack of talent or coaching. For this reason I am trying to take a longer term view and have resigned myself that this will probably be a 3 year process in us getting back into the thick of things in the ACC from a competitive standpoint and possibly reaching the NCAAs. Having said that I think there is a good chance we have the right man for the job for the following reasons.

1. Coach Pastner has a clear vision of what it will take to get Tech back into the upper echelon of basketball competitively. I know everyone says they have a plan but few have the ability to paint that picture as eloquently as Coach Pastner and that is an important and often over looked factor in getting there.

2. Coach Pastner is a better leader of men than Gregory of Hewitt. This is not a knock on either Hewitt or Gregory's character. Listen to the podcast he did with the AJC. Pastner oozes energy and clarity in his communication style that tends to get things done.

3. Coach Pastner is much more humble than I would have thought based on his reputation. We sometimes forget he is only 38 and has already been a Head Coach at a big time program for 7 years. Most guys like that are extremely arrogant. When I listen to Coach Pastner I hear someone who knows he is far from perfect and has the intelligence and work ethic to learn.

There are two factors though that will ultimately determine Coach Pastner's success that will ultimately decide his success that I don't think we will know the answer to for a while.

1. Can he convince the highly rated players to come to Tech. I think it can be done. Cremins certainly did it as did Hewitt to some degree. So if 3 years from now we still don't have any higher tier 4 * or 5* recruits that won't bode well for our new coach.

2. Is his high energy strategy the right one for his players? As someone who played a fair amount of competitive basketball in my life I certainly prefer it to Pastner's style. The way I see it when you are as bad as we are you have to play differently than conventional wisdom. Gregory's way was to slow down the game and try to out execute the opponent (Think Princeton). That can work if you have the right players to execute it but I don't think Gregory's playing matched his recruiting targets very well. I think ultimately the up tempo style gives us the chance to at least try to mentally and physically wear down our opponents. We are going to need better depth to be effective at this. Therefore, I think we can expect to struggle at times until we get better.

Jmonty71

Banned
I like the new coach. I think this is a VAST improvement over the last 2. He brings a sense of defense and intensity to the team. It will take a couple of years, but I foresee GT being back into the dance soon.