3:30 kickoff for FSU and UCF

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
Not sure I would say terrible at 5-7 but certainly not good. The point being, like nearly every other ACC team, they were decisively better than us. With a returning starting QB who was decent year 1.

Hah! You caught me.

The only reason I single them out in my replies without referencing the other teams we "should" beat is because I'm most familiar with them out of all of our opponents in terms of what they were last year and what they have coming back. Then, unfortunately, remembering clearly what we were last year. Reality is we (GT) were decisively worse than every ACC team, save for NC State. So the assumption that we should beat anyone this year is based on not much more than hope... and maybe recruiting rankings. Other teams tried to improve during the offseason too.

Just my way of sharing expectations. If Vegas is correct and our o/u is 2.5 wins, there will either be a lot of rich GT fans (who could help GT by donating their winnings to the GTAA) or a lot of disappointment. I'm still optimistic we beat that threshold if we get a full season, but it's largely based on hope given we have seen nothing on the field yet.
5-7 with 3 of the wins against Liberty, Holy Cross, and W Michigan. Also lost to a Maryland team that wasn't good 63-20, and lost to the same NC State team we beat 16-10. So yes they were pretty terrible last year. As were we

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
So if a team, let's say Syracuse, decides to not play is that a forfeit and a win for us? Or is it a push and the winning % is what matters?

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Not sure I would say terrible at 5-7 but certainly not good. The point being, like nearly every other ACC team, they were decisively better than us. With a returning starting QB who was decent year 1.

Hah! You caught me.

The only reason I single them out in my replies without referencing the other teams we "should" beat is because I'm most familiar with them out of all of our opponents in terms of what they were last year and what they have coming back. Then, unfortunately, remembering clearly what we were last year. Reality is we (GT) were decisively worse than every ACC team, save for NC State. So the assumption that we should beat anyone this year is based on not much more than hope... and maybe recruiting rankings. Other teams tried to improve during the offseason too.

Just my way of sharing expectations. If Vegas is correct and our o/u is 2.5 wins, there will either be a lot of rich GT fans (who could help GT by donating their winnings to the GTAA) or a lot of disappointment. I'm still optimistic we beat that threshold if we get a full season, but it's largely based on hope given we have seen nothing on the field yet.

OOC wins over Liberty, WMU, and Holy Cross. Let’s cool it with the 5-7 praise for 2019 Cuse. In fact let’s cool it with Cuse praise all together.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
OOC wins over Liberty, WMU, and Holy Cross. Let’s cool it with the 5-7 praise for 2019 Cuse. In fact let’s cool it with Cuse praise all together.
This is in my post to which you replied.
Not sure I would say terrible at 5-7 but certainly not good.
There is no praise. Just further mischaracterizations of the conversation. If you'd like to continue the debate, I moved the tangent to a more appropriate thread.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
So if a team, let's say Syracuse, decides to not play is that a forfeit and a win for us? Or is it a push and the winning % is what matters?

I don't think any non-competition will be considered a forfeit. UCF wasn't considered a forfeit, even with USF playing at home that same weekend. If a team isn't available, or a game facility isn't available for whatever reason I would assume it would be considered no competition.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I don't think any non-competition will be considered a forfeit. UCF wasn't considered a forfeit, even with USF playing at home that same weekend. If a team isn't available, or a game facility isn't available for whatever reason I would assume it would be considered no competition.
Which is completely dumb. If a team can't show up it should be a forfeit. Part of this season is being disciplined to stay in a bubble. If you can't you lose.

Wish they viewed it like that.
I'd over to win 8 games by technicalityand go to the ACC ship based on Covid just to play a Syracuse and we win😂. Id be thrilled.

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
Which is completely dumb. If a team can't show up it should be a forfeit. Part of this season is being disciplined to stay in a bubble. If you can't you lose.

Wish they viewed it like that.
I'd over to win 8 games by technicalityand go to the ACC ship based on Covid just to play a Syracuse and we win😂. Id be thrilled.

But they also have to be careful about giving teams a reason to play when they shouldn't. They want teams to err on the side of caution in today's environment. Remove the "forfeit penalty" factor from the equation. Just decide if your team is healthy enough to play this week or if it's too risky for all involved. Sucks if your team is ready to go and the other team decides they can't. But I suspect the coaches from both teams would talk through test results and general health before a decision was made.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Oh, then that makes it easy then. We just refuse to play teams that are sure to beat us and only play the games we have a shot at. Then our winning percentage will be above 50% and we'll get to go to a bowl. We don't want teams to be punished by refusing to play, after all!

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Oh, then that makes it easy then. We just refuse to play teams that are sure to beat us and only play the games we have a shot at. Then our winning percentage will be above 50% and we'll get to go to a bowl. We don't want teams to be punished by refusing to play, after all!

Except GT can't afford to not play. I don't know how the TV money is being distributed this year, but I doubt a team that opts out of half the season will receive the same amount as a team that plays all of their games. I don't know, but am pretty sure that the conference will not make as much money if fewer games are played. Financially the team would be better off playing all of the games even if the record is worse. Even as things are at the moment, it is possible that the athletic association will have a budget deficit of $20 or $30 million dollars.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
ord to not play. I don't know how the TV money is being distributed this year, but I doubt a team that opts out of half the season will receive the same amount as a team that plays all of their games. I don't know, but am pretty sure that the conference will not make as much money if fewer games are played. Financially the team would be better off playing all of the games even if the record is worse. Even as things are at the moment, it is possible that the athletic association will have a budget deficit of $20 or $30 million dollars.
Of course we should play the games. I was just being silly. Although, a team could game the system by choosing to not play a particular game citing 'Health concerns' if they so chose. It's just a strange dang year in so many ways. I never knew how much things being 'normal' would be missed, but I've been fortunate and never had to live through something like WWII.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
I see only two sure losses on the schedule. No reason we shouldn’t win 7 - 9 games.
I am assuming you mean Clemson and Notre Dame. What would be funny, and typical GT would be we best Notre Dame but lose to Duke. I could see that happening, Duke has been our kryptonite for years now.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Vivid seats is selling tickets for the Florida state game, anyone now if that’s legit or true?