24/7 CGC Interview

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
CGC said he learned a lot from O'Leary.
First thing you should learn from O'Leary?

Don't embellish the resume.

99, yes, what he says holds true. absolutely.
but the other years, it's a little bit of shading. and then saying we were playing in New Year's Day bowl games? that's misleading.

and if he wants to combat the uphill battle, maybe not getting outcoached by the Citadel would be a start.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
From reading the analysis I am having less concern with "liberties" taken.

- Ranked in the top 10... That is different than saying "finished" in the top 10. But if at some point you were ranked in the top 10 then, yes, you were ranked in the top 10.

- New Years bowl game. If it was played on New Years day then .... Been a while since the old big 4 bowls were all played on New Years day.

Regardless, this minutiae does not bother me. I appreciate he is trying to say what we Can do - not what we Can Not do.

If some can not see the difference in how CGC is presenting the 404 to recruits and how he has stated specific goals for the program, well, nothing left to say.

Matt E

GT Athlete

but the other years, it's a little bit of shading. and then saying we were playing in New Year's Day bowl games? that's misleading.

and if he wants to combat the uphill battle, maybe not getting outcoached by the Citadel would be a start.

Gator was a New Year’s Day bowl. 99-00. Peach was 01, played on New Year’s Eve. I guess you would rather hear these great one liners instead of CGC’s positive spin and pushing of the program:

- nobody wins a national championship with less than a 75k stadium
- Go look at the history of this place, it’s not as good as people think

I guess it is what it is. Those were some great messages to recruits! So hopeful and inspiring to hear if you are 16-17 years old

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Gator was a New Year’s Day bowl. 99-00. Peach was 01, played on New Year’s Eve. I guess you would rather hear these great one liners instead of CGC’s positive spin and pushing of the program:

- nobody wins a national championship with less than a 75k stadium
- Go look at the history of this place, it’s not as good as people think

I guess it is what it is. Those were some great messages to recruits! So hopeful and inspiring to hear if you are 16-17 years old

When is the last time someone with a less than 75k stadium was a nc. Was it us in 90? Legit curious on this one.

The second line is very true but its true of most places.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer

What resume?

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
When is the last time someone with a less than 75k stadium was a nc. Was it us in 90? Legit curious on this one.

The second line is very true but its true of most places.

Miami doesn't even have a stadium.

I believe in 1980 when ugag won their mnc the cap was just under 60k.

When CU won it in 1981 I believe they were just under 44k.

Dedication to winning changes things.

Last edited:

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
What you said is true. But again, right now today Collins only mission and only path to success is to rebrand GT football for 14-18 year old males which he has been doing from day 1. If he succeeds at getting in top 25 recruiting classes GT will win a lot of games and when you win everyone loves you. If he doesn’t succeed at recruiting it doesn’t matter how much he sucks up to media, boosters, alum, etc as he will be gone at some point. I think part of the problem our fan base is having right now is not understanding their are only 3 paths to high level success in college football and GT will never take 2 of them.

Path #1 - big state university with a handful of majors to hide athletes and underhanded recruiting methods (most of the top 20 take this approach).
Path #2 - Smaller school in state who has worthless majors, does some underhanded deals with athletes representatives, then hires a scumbag coach and throws money around (think Baylor and Auburn types).
Path #3 - smaller school with limited resources who hires a staff, keeps them for years, recruits the local area, build a reputation, and get lucky every 4-5 years (see VT under Beamer, Duke with Cutcliffe, Minnesota right now, Boise St., etc).

These paths are something we all know but often forget. And GT has even a tougher path because we are managed by a state system run by UGA (Board of Regents). The only path to high level success is exactly what Collins is trying. We just had a Hall of Fame coach who couldn’t keep us there so that tells you how hard it is. Saban couldn’t do it at Mich St. Of all the teams in our tier, Collins knows GT has the most upside simply due to Atlanta. He’s trying to do the Schnellenberger without strippers and cash. Miami is a case study in taking a mid level small elite school and catching lightening in a bottle. And it was amazing. Collins could play it safe and win 7 games a year like most of our past coaches, but he dreams bigger and I appreciate that. I often post that if he doesn’t succeed there are hundreds of retread coaches we can hire to sleep walk through the next 40 years. I loved the Johnson hire and the Collins hire because they both have unique visions.
What you said is true. But again, right now today Collins only mission and only path to success is to rebrand GT football for 14-18 year old males which he has been doing from day 1. If he succeeds at getting in top 25 recruiting classes GT will win a lot of games and when you win everyone loves you. If he doesn’t succeed at recruiting it doesn’t matter how much he sucks up to media, boosters, alum, etc as he will be gone at some point. I think part of the problem our fan base is having right now is not understanding their are only 3 paths to high level success in college football and GT will never take 2 of them.

Path #1 - big state university with a handful of majors to hide athletes and underhanded recruiting methods (most of the top 20 take this approach).
Path #2 - Smaller school in state who has worthless majors, does some underhanded deals with athletes representatives, then hires a scumbag coach and throws money around (think Baylor and Auburn types).
Path #3 - smaller school with limited resources who hires a staff, keeps them for years, recruits the local area, build a reputation, and get lucky every 4-5 years (see VT under Beamer, Duke with Cutcliffe, Minnesota right now, Boise St., etc).

These paths are something we all know but often forget. And GT has even a tougher path because we are managed by a state system run by UGA (Board of Regents). The only path to high level success is exactly what Collins is trying. We just had a Hall of Fame coach who couldn’t keep us there so that tells you how hard it is. Saban couldn’t do it at Mich St. Of all the teams in our tier, Collins knows GT has the most upside simply due to Atlanta. He’s trying to do the Schnellenberger without strippers and cash. Miami is a case study in taking a mid level small elite school and catching lightening in a bottle. And it was amazing. Collins could play it safe and win 7 games a year like most of our past coaches, but he dreams bigger and I appreciate that. I often post that if he doesn’t succeed there are hundreds of retread coaches we can hire to sleep walk through the next 40 years. I loved the Johnson hire and the Collins hire because they both have unique visions.
This is the best take I’ve read about collins and the state of GT football. Just some random thoughts:

Louisville is the epitome of the #2 school you mentioned - smaller school who hires scumbag coaches to buy wins.

CPJ, def HoF Coach, but he was sorely underfunded and under supported due to bad ADs. Limited his success.

The Collins recruiting strategy is pretty smart:
-Offer all the good players and fingers cross they come
-Build pipelines at good ATL area schools (he’s done great stuff at North Gwinnett and Grayson)
-Leverage academic brand for out of state
-Be a superior talent evaluator - rivals / 247 are flawed (I trust CGC and CBK over that idiot Kelly quinlan), and wont rate anyone a certain level if they don’t attend camps...a lot of good recruits don’t have access to those camps