23 wins

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
So I was thinking about something this morning. We won 11, 3 and 9 games the last 3 years. That's 23 wins and 23 divided by 3 averages out to 7.67 per year. Historically, over the Gailey years and front end of the CPJ years, that was right around our average (might as well have called Chan "7-win Chan").

Here's my question, would you rather us have won 7, 8, and 8? Or would you take the agony of the 3-win season instead to enjoy the fruits of the 9 and 11 win seasons?

Personally, I'd rather have one sucky year (especially knowing a lot of it was due to injuries and a gauntlet schedule) and 2 great years than 3 mediocre years.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I'd rather be ranked in the final AP top 25 five years in a row and beat Georgie three in a row like we did under O'Leary.

We were not ranked in 2016. I would not call it a "great year."

The difference between Gailey and Johnson is 0-6 vs 3-6. Considering that Johnson's salary is more than double Gailey's salary, we should expect more from Johnson. Coming into 2016, Gailey's FBS win % was higher than Johnson's.

We should be doing better than either of those 2 coaches. Georgia Tech has a LOT to sell, despite what a bunch of folks on this board want to believe. We have some disadvantages, but we have more than enough advantages to offset them with the right leadership selling those advantages. I hope that Stansbury is the right leader.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I'd rather be ranked in the final AP top 25 five years in a row and beat Georgie three in a row like we did under O'Leary.

The difference between Gailey and Johnson is 0-6 vs 3-6. Considering that Johnson's salary is more than double Gailey's salary, we should expect more from Johnson. Coming into 2016, Gailey's FBS win % was higher than Johnson's.

We should be doing better than either of those 2 coaches. Georgia Tech has a LOT to sell, despite what a bunch of folks on this board want to believe. We have some disadvantages, but we have more than enough advantages to offset them with the right leadership selling those advantages. I hope that Stansbury is the right leader.
I never got the salary argument. Salaries for all coaches have sky rocketed. The landscape has changed as well. Competition has changed. Academic req's have changed. It's not a single variable equation.

Also, how many ACC Championship games did Gailey get us to? How many OB Championships?

stech81

Helluva Engineer

If we were in the SEC and finished 9-4 we would have been in the top 20 in 2016.

slugboy

Staff member
That 3 win season was really strange for Johnson, over any of his coaching stops, and really stands out as an outlier. I'm tempted to throw it out and ignore it unless he has another bad season. He faces tougher competition that Gailey did. Not really the same.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck

We never have done better on a consistent basis so why do you think we should now?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer

The schedule we played under O'Leary was nothing near as difficult as the one we play today...please keep that in mind

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
A wise old coach saying goes something like "If you're not moving up, you're moving out". Fans never want to see their team lose more than the year before, so when that inevitably happens, they start grumbling about firing the coach. Look no further than Mark Richt: He lifted their program from a narcissistic joke of Dunning-Kruger effect, to a the most successful period in their history. Yet the deluded dwagfans started taking it for granted and sent him packing.

The agony of 2015 was bitterly disappointing to us as fans. But it kinda snapped us back to realistic expectations and made this season feel all that much sweeter! One could argue that we "needed" a season where everything went wrong, in order to better appreciate when things go right.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Btw I hope everyone recognizes the 3-9 is an outlier that skews the math here. If our Yellow Jackets are fortunate enough to win 10 games this year, that would actually bring the three-year total down to 22 wins.

GTRanj

Jolly Good Fellow

I never got the salary argument. Salaries for all coaches have sky rocketed. The landscape has changed as well. Competition has changed. Academic req's have changed. It's not a single variable equation.

Also, how many ACC Championship games did Gailey get us to? How many OB Championships?

Great points cheese, I'd also like to ask how much does our offensive coordinator make?

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
Last year sucked but it made this season all the more sweeter bouncing back! Every program can have a down year cept for bama. Look what Michigan state and ND did this year. Johnson proved the haters wrong that he was done!

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
So I was thinking about something this morning. We won 11, 3 and 9 games the last 3 years. That's 23 wins and 23 divided by 3 averages out to 7.67 per year. Historically, over the Gailey years and front end of the CPJ years, that was right around our average (might as well have called Chan "7-win Chan").

Here's my question, would you rather us have won 7, 8, and 8? Or would you take the agony of the 3-win season instead to enjoy the fruits of the 9 and 11 win seasons?

Personally, I'd rather have one sucky year (especially knowing a lot of it was due to injuries and a gauntlet schedule) and 2 great years than 3 mediocre years.

An interesting question. To me, the road to a good/great season lies with the mythical "Big 5" UGA, Clemson, Miami, Virginia Tech, and UNC. Win 3 of those and you can pretty much take it to the bank it will be a good year. Win 4 or 5 and it is 2014 all over again. Beat UGA and lose everything else and that makes for a successful year IMHO. To my knowledge, this has never happened in the entire history of Clean Old Fashioned Hate. In 1969, we had a losing record, seems like it was something like 3-6 going into the game and we managed to beat them 6-0. This was the year after they slaughtered us 48-7 in Athens. One of the best Georgia teams I ever saw. Somehow they managed to squander all that talent by losing to Arkansas in the Sugar Bowl. Some things never change.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
I like the fact that we are competitive in just about every game. Under Gailey there were some major blowouts(especially against uga) that stuck with me for a long time. How many blowout losses have we had under Johnson? The worst one I recall was the peach bowl in 08.