22-23 Basketball Season- 9 Games in

alagold

Helluva Engineer
No, Pastner thinks this team can actually shoot. We haven’t seen it so far. The missing piece is obviously Deebo Coleman. We have to get better shooting and more scoring out of him to see a good shooting team. We know he can shoot, so I’m not sure what is going on with him lately. His defense also needs to improve, but that may not be realistic. He may not ever be a good on ball defender. I have been pleasantly surprised by our scoring in the paint, but we need other outside shooters besides Kelly.
yep, you are correct.I think he has played more minutes than anyone.Thus he is one of the big reasons we are getting killed on REBs.
The team has actually played decent DEF at times-- and good on TOs but I'm afraid some of that is from not trying ennough to set up gyys for shots .

alagold

Helluva Engineer
So, where do we stand after nine games? What do we know about our team? There is a long way to go in the season, but since we are about to start ACC play, I thought it might be a good time to do a deep dive into our team so far:

The most important statistic: 6 wins, 3 losses.
Losses: Iowa (RPI-20), Marquette (58), Utah (67)
Wins: UGA (153), N Alabama (252), Northeastern (266), N Illinois (314), GSt (320), Clayton St. (--)

GT current RPI: 88

Some key team statistics and (rank):
Effective FG%: 46.1 (rank-300!)
Opp Effective FG % 46.0 (59)
3 point %: 28.9 (320)
Opp Three Point %: 28.3 (38)
Opp FT %: 60.6 (9!)--this is our all-important free throw defense, a key to part of our winning strategy. :)
Opp Off Rebounds/Gm: 11.5/gm (348!)
Blocks/game: 4.6 (49)
TO/play: 12.8% (12)

Projected Record: Assuming we play at this same level throughout the season, our projected record is 16-15.

Player stats:
Highest offensive rating: Javon Franklin--135.9
Highest defensive rating: Javon Franklin--91.8 (lower is better)
Highest Effective FG%: Rodney Howard--58.1%
Players with Positive Offensive Box +/- : 4 (Franklin, Smith, Kelly, and Coleman)
Players with Positive Defensive Box +/- : 6 (Franklin, Smith, Howard, Moore, Terry, Sturdivant)
Players with Positive Overall Box +/- : 3 (Franklin:10.4, Smith: 6.7, Miles Kelly: 1.0)
-By the way, this is one of my favorite stats to look at, because it takes a lot into account and spits out a player's positive or negative contribution, almost like a WAR (WINS ABOVE REPLACEMENT) stat. In 20-21, we had 6 guys with positive ratings and last year, we only had two and a half (Saba was positive, but didn't really play much).

Team MVP so far: Javon Franklin. He was a really important piece, and he plays bigger than he is. He has been effective on both offense and defense. You could also make an argument for Kelly, since he single-handedly won us two games in the clutch.

Team LVP so far: Kyle Sturdivant. I hesitated to include this, but his game has not been good so far this season. With the number of minutes he has gotten, he has produces a B+/- of negative 3.3. I know he can play better, and I am rooting for him to turn it around.

OK, that is all I got. Discuss amongst yourselves.

Sources:
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/georgia-tech/2023.html
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/rankings/rpi/
https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/team/georgia-tech-yellow-jackets/
Franklin was what we hoped for. and I expected.He was a PROVEN experienced player and has produced.I'm not sure he couldn't do/use him more on OFf if we tried.