2024 will be the year for GT Bullyball

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Given our returning group on the OLine and some of the pick ups we are making at TE I’m really optimistic about our chances to close on a tough RB. Even if we don’t, I think we saw enough from Jamal at the end of the season to feel comfortable.

I am looking forward to watching CBK double down on ground and pound and watching CBF throw in some wrinkles to the outside or down field.

Bright days ahead for us boys and girls in gold.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I agree, Key is building this team right, featuring a smashmouth running game that everybody hates to face. Gotta get tougher and better on defense and we will be cooking.

I'd say the majority of the time against UGA, we owned their DL. Put over 200+ yards of rushing on them.

I pointed it out in the UGA game thread, there was plenty of times our OL pushed UGA's DL back a few yards before our RBs even got the ball. Our OL was humming towards the end of the season.

Next year our guys will have another year of physical development, plus another year in the system. Add some additional talent to strengthen the starting unit and depth...this is quickly becoming the strength of the team. Funny to say when we have a potential All ACC QB, RB, and WR.

Fun times are definitely ahead.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am looking forward to watching CBK double down on ground and pound and watching CBF throw in some wrinkles to the outside or down field.

Bright days ahead for us boys and girls in gold.
I have to say that this is what I enjoyed so much about the '90 team. Yeah, we had one of our best (if not THE best) Qb's ever and wide receivers galore and good TE's and great skill position players and all that sexy stuff but that OL was dominant to where 3rd and 5 was a very manageable running down. They just manhandled people in the way some recent Bama teams have. The ability to wear people down with the run game is the most satisfying way to play...as well as the most likely way to be successful. I have always hated the years when Uga beat us just by handing off to their tailback. The year (10-12 years ago?) that they had 2 backs average 10 ypc may have been the worst beat down ever imo, even worse than some of the epic Gailey/Collins abominations. Running the ball and stopping the run are the backbone of good football teams. As it was in the beginning, is now and ever more shall be.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
We’ll see if Faulkner continues to grow as a coach. Top tier teams go from the shotgun and under center. What made our 1990 team special was Friedgen used all our assets using all formations. We sure weren’t in shotgun on 3rd and 1. We can manhandle teams like UGA a third of the time and we’ll still lose without some imagination.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I'd say the majority of the time against UGA, we owned their DL. Put over 200+ yards of rushing on them.

I pointed it out in the UGA game thread, there was plenty of times our OL pushed UGA's DL back a few yards before our RBs even got the ball. Our OL was humming towards the end of the season.

Next year our guys will have another year of physical development, plus another year in the system. Add some additional talent to strengthen the starting unit and depth...this is quickly becoming the strength of the team. Funny to say when we have a potential All ACC QB, RB, and WR.

Fun times are definitely ahead.
As long as we can keep it all together. It seems we are, and the guys seem to understand that something special is being built.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I hope we'll see what fonts above predict. We do have experience coming back and good players too boot.

However, remember what they used to say about Pual's teams: the offense hums when the leaves fall. This is another way of saying that Tech next year will probably be like many other teams; the offense (and defense, for that matter) will need time to jell again. We may see some disappointing performances early on, especially since the OL has to be shifted around to take care of graduating players. That doesn't mean w won't see wins anyway, but I'm prepared to take a loss or two early simply because that's often how the cookie crumbles.

We'll see soon enough.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
We started to see a return to a physical style of football this year. I like our trajectory and approach. You’d have thought being labeled soft would have been embarrassing, but it was almost a badge of honor with the old staff as long as we had good pictures and videos to hype ourselves up.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
….. That doesn't mean w won't see wins anyway, but I'm prepared to take a loss or two early simply because that's often how the cookie crumbles.

We'll see soon enough.
But if a team loses a game, even if it’s early, won’t they probably be excluded from the playoffs? Oh, wait. Never mind

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
some of the rpo stuff really for moving the last few games. I want more of it against UCF
In hs championship game HK's team beat a LOADED dallas area team, by running power I, option, rpo, and Air raid while letting HK be HK.
In 24 we can add more wrinkles.
In 23 we started year trying bully ball and it was a disaster. Then we got the side to side blocking w dontae running hard off tackle and finally added HK on the fake pitch qb run UTM.

Malzan will likely run the Clemson 6 men tight w man coverage in box. Imo, we the portal exits on a bad defense we should burn them deep.

With 2 big tight ends from portal we will have more inside strenth and pkssibly more passss to TE.

Then when we face better teams Key will have to decide if we turn HK loose to win biggly