2024 Roster

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well here's my googledocs roster with links. It is consistent the the RamblinWreck roster that was posted today. The RamblinWreck link is in the name and the PG/ Baseball Cube link is far right.

Plus color coded on number / position as to who started in one of the fall ball games. Under name is a light red color of those who didn't play in either game. I've got some more thoughts I'll post later. As always, appreciate y'all finding the errors I have in here.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The OF is going to be loaded. I think we see Brosius, due to his speed as a leadoff hitter, Jones, and then Burress or Yunger?.

I think / hope IF is going to emphasize defense. That will help pitching a lot.

Looking at fall ball starters, I think the C Ellis, 1B Giesler, 2B Becchetti, SS Green, 3B Jaros will get our fielding % up a good bit. The OF will have tremendous speed (Brosius, Jones and Burress) which will help D too.

1702226846539.png

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Interesting that the new roster still has Schmolke on it as well as Romano. Also they only listed Jones as a pitcher unlike others such as Diamant who lists as both pitcher ind infielder or Stanford who lists as RHP/OF. At DH will we go with a power bat like Stanford or Craska or Sabbathia? Or will we go with a contact hitter with some speed?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Interesting that the new roster still has Schmolke on it as well as Romano. Also they only listed Jones as a pitcher unlike others such as Diamant who lists as both pitcher ind infielder or Stanford who lists as RHP/OF. At DH will we go with a power bat like Stanford or Craska or Sabbathia? Or will we go with a contact hitter with some speed?

LOL, you are assuming the "new roster" is updated. It's the best I can find but I doubt they spend much time updating.

One exciting thing (at least to me) is the apparent depth and upgrade to defense from the portal / Fr. I would have the best infield defense to start and then substitute for better hitters if we get behind.

So same idea with DH where we can be more situation dependent and do a lot of substitution with the depth we have. I think Coach Ramsey will be up to it.

Killerbees

Jolly Good Fellow
I think / hope IF is going to emphasize defense. That will help pitching a lot.

Looking at fall ball starters, I think the C Ellis, 1B Giesler, 2B Becchetti, SS Green, 3B Jaros will get our fielding % up a good bit. The OF will have tremendous speed (Brosius, Jones and Burress) which will help D too.

View attachment 15335
Bees Baseball does not have summer stats posted yet, but going through this list and looking up who I could find we had a few guys have really good summers. Should be some healthy competition come January

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Bees Baseball does not have summer stats posted yet, but going through this list and looking up who I could find we had a few guys have really good summers. Should be some healthy competition come January

If you go to thebaseballcube links (like for Becchetti https://www.thebaseballcube.com/content/player/225384/#stats ) and scroll down, you can see the summer ball stats including 2023. That's a reason I like The Baseball Cube so much. You can see a player's progress. But doesn't have fielding stats :(

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I checked how some other teams are doing on roster numbers. Checked 5 teams and two didn't have 2024 rosters published at all (Ole Miss and another). Then
  • UVa has 38
  • VT has 44
  • Clemp has 46
We are at 48 less 3 in the transfer portal. So we are right about where VT & Clemp are. I suspect UVa numbers since I'm sure they'll be at the 40 roster limit in February; maybe they aren't listing everyone.

For us, figuring that about 13 didn't play in either fall game and red shirt, I think it'll be "easy" to get 5 more down to the 40 final roster in Feb.

Killerbees

Jolly Good Fellow
If anyone who subscribes to D-1 could summarize the article it would be greatly appreciated.
These are the projected starters (or competition) per the article. As we know, probably some truth and some fluff. Here are stats that I found for those who played summer.

1B
Giesler.333 GT
Sabathia.255 NECBL
2B
Becchetti.258 NECBL
SS
Green.207 Capd Cod
3B
Diamant.290 NECBL.250 Cape Cod
JarosN/A Freshman
KerceN/A Freshman
C
Minnick.248 Northwoods
Ellis.250 Indiana
OF
BurressN/A Freshman
Brosius.292 Northwoods
Jones.273 Cape Cod
Yunger.172 Cape Cod
Zmarzlak.288 NECBL

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
These are the projected starters (or competition) per the article. As we know, probably some truth and some fluff. Here are stats that I found for those who played summer.

1B
Giesler.333 GT
Sabathia.255 NECBL
2B
Becchetti.258 NECBL
SS
Green.207 Capd Cod
3B
Diamant.290 NECBL.250 Cape Cod
JarosN/A Freshman
KerceN/A Freshman
C
Minnick.248 Northwoods
Ellis.250 Indiana
OF
BurressN/A Freshman
Brosius.292 Northwoods
Jones.273 Cape Cod
Yunger.172 Cape Cod
Zmarzlak.288 NECBL

No real difference to who actually started in our games.

Who do they like pitching starting, relief and closing?

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Friday - Busse
Saturday - Hill
Sunday - Finateri
Next man up - McGuire

Bullpen
Brown
King
Thomas
Jones
Diamant
Stanford

Then they mention about 10 others who can contribute. Great position to be in
Notice there are no incoming freshman on that list. So I guess they don't think much of the freshmen pitchers we brought in. I agree with NavyNuke. It sounds like someone that has no idea what the current roster looks like and are just making guesses based on what they see coming back. I would be interested if they even talked to our pitching coach before writing the article.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Notice there are no incoming freshman on that list. So I guess they don't think much of the freshmen pitchers we brought in. I agree with NavyNuke. It sounds like someone that has no idea what the current roster looks like and are just making guesses based on what they see coming back. I would be interested if they even talked to our pitching coach before writing the article.
They talked about Tate McKee who the coaches are very high on, and he might either earn a rotation spot or a back of the bullpen spot.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
They talked about Tate McKee who the coaches are very high on, and he might either earn a rotation spot or a back of the bullpen spot.
Glad to hear it. My response was to the post I quoted that made no mention of that player.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

They also didn't mention Michael Kovala (RHP). (Check out notes and links in spreadsheet in first post.)

I didn't mean to imply that the author didn't do homework, but nothing in the summary hasn't been said here. Plus the articles always emphasize the positive since mostly that teams fans read the article. And coaches fed them the positive stuff.

The real guessing will be when D1 ranks where we finish in the ACC. I'll be very surprised if we are in the top half. I'd expect all ACC teams are better with the portal. There is so much more talent with COVID exemption and MLB reduced draft.