2023 Holiday Break - GT in the Diamond Head Classic

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
so mean GIF by Arika Sato
Hug GIF by The BarkPost

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
I haven’t seen a game like Blackshear has played in a long time. They iso’d him every stinking time and we couldn’t stop him. So frustrating!

Free throws down the stretch really hurt. Ndongo is a beast, but his foul trouble hurt us some tonight. They seemed to go on little runs every time he went out. Kelly’s shot is broken right now. He got great looks tonight, but can’t make it for some reason, even at the free throw line.

Great tournament run. Could have won that thing. I’m excited for conference play.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
Just seemed like overall poor game. Lots of missing open looks. Also disappointed that we didn’t seem to really pursue what was working well. Needed way more feeding Ndongo inside.

Idk what happened to Kelly but he has really regressed.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
Lots of adversity that’s pretty hard to overcome. Abram being a total bust so far, Terry never making it on the floor, and Kelly just folding like a wet paper bag has been tough to absorb. He went 3-15 from the floor and 1-9 on 3’s. Idk how you help him but we need 2022 Kelly back.

I thought this game we’d really impose our supposedly deeper bench, but we only played 8 guys and Nevada played 9. Just couldn’t throw it in the ocean today.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
This was a game of matchups. Their matchup advantage was two guards who kept the ball in their hands and we couldn’t guard them. Our advantage was Ndongo we could not consistently get the ball to him

We had open 3 point shots that we should be able to make, that would have won the game for us but we didn’t make them. We also did not control the offensive boards that I thought we would.

Overall we have to be tougher, shoot better and be able to handle one on one matchups.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
This was a game of matchups. Their matchup advantage was two guards who kept the ball in their hands and we couldn’t guard them. Our advantage was Ndongo we could not consistently get the ball to him

We had open 3 point shots that we should be able to make, that would have won the game for us but we didn’t make them. We also did not control the offensive boards that I thought we would.

Overall we have to be tougher, shoot better and be able to handle one on one matchups.
I think something that has been exposed this tournament is we don’t have anybody who can shut down an opposing guard. We have the capability to stop a good inside player, but there’s nobody on the team that has shown the ability to stop a guard who is having a good night. The guard from Hawaii had a great night and then this kid tonight went off on us also. Offense will come and go, but unless we can figure out a way to stop opposing guards, we may have more nights like tonight in store. Good thing is we have a decent break before the next game to analyze this tournament and see if we can adjust. Makes me miss Jose more and more…

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I kept hoping they would put Gapare on Blackshear as he was just muscling Reeves. Blackshear isn’t a typical guard but they isolated him and made it work.

We do need to come up with a way to double a hot guard and make somebody else beat us

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
I kept hoping they would put Gapare on Blackshear as he was just muscling Reeves. Blackshear isn’t a typical guard but they isolated him and made it work.

We do need to come up with a way to double a hot guard and make somebody else beat us
That’s what my son kept saying. I think he can be a liability on offense at times though.