2023 Fall Practice Notes

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
On the topic of Center. I had felt for awhile we were locked up there with Franklin. Now I’m seeing where Key has said he’s trying out 4 different guys there. Has he lost faith in Franklin or are we trying WF out at guard/tackle to better utilize him? Just curious what happened.
The only thing i have seen wanting w Franklin is his eye discipline ocasionally has caused him to leave the right guard who was expecting help on a rush in the gap. Franklin was looking left and drifted left and ended up blocking AIR so rusher came free.

If he has bulked up I think he will be fine. Its a positive to hear this discussion.
Wish i hesrd more ofcthis about the tackles

Eli

Helluva Engineer
I'm going to be that guy, and I hope I'm wrong, but yes. I say that because of his TD/INT ratio not really improving and who his highlights are mostly gimmie passes. Bryce Koon shared his highlight vid in another thread and I can't see how he could be better than Pyron. He does seem to be a bit more fluid/athletic but I didn't see him really make a read. I also just watch the few highlights of Pyron and I see a dude that's game 🎯. I'm wondering if it's one of those scenarios where the guy at the top of the depth chart just crushed it in practice and scrimmage but it doesn't quite materialize on game day quite the same. I think because of him being so well coached by his father he might have a knack for execution in those situations. That part is all speculation of course but Pyron having that grit and readiness isn't. I think if King goes down, God forbid, Pyron takes it and doesn't look back. But as said before, it's great to be in this position and be having this debate for our guys!
King beating out Pyron says more about King than it does Pyron. It’s also fits the narrative that we are going to stress teams through the air. I am excited to see what the kid can do in a stable environment that isn’t switching qbs after every mistake.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
On the topic of Center. I had felt for awhile we were locked up there with Franklin. Now I’m seeing where Key has said he’s trying out 4 different guys there. Has he lost faith in Franklin or are we trying WF out at guard/tackle to better utilize him? Just curious what happened.
Franklin is solid. The coaches are looking for the right backup guy. Key covers every base

CEB

Helluva Engineer
King beating out Pyron says more about King than it does Pyron. It’s also fits the narrative that we are going to stress teams through the air. I am excited to see what the kid can do in a stable environment that isn’t switching qbs after every mistake.
You’re right. My suspicion is the biggest factor is two years. King has two more years in college strength and conditioning. Two more years against college level defenders. Two more years with college coaching and film study.
That’s a big deal. Not dismissing any of his talent, but that development from year 1 to year 3 is significant.
Pyron will be a good one... may even be the guy later this year... but it’s not surprising that King is the better option right now.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The WR told me - we are going to sling it.

At Kings HS they ran passing like air raid, but also ran power I.

Pretty optimistic about the OC, but realize the enemy gets a vote.

Kmag

Jolly Good Fellow

Love getting to hear these guys. I have heard a Key say in a past interview that we aren’t really prepping for Louisville until a week before, and that makes me a little nervous. Then hearing it again this from Scott here, why are we waiting so late to prep for such a big game? Is this normal?

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
Love getting to hear these guys. I have heard a Key say in a past interview that we aren’t really prepping for Louisville until a week before, and that makes me a little nervous. Then hearing it again this from Scott here, why are we waiting so late to prep for such a big game? Is this normal?
It's pretty standard. Ole Miss, Clemson, and uga are big games and they'll start prep for each of these at virtually the same time as the prep for UL will start. These athletes and coaches are creatures of habit and CBK said in his press conference he's pretty much got everything planned out thru season's end.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
It's not that there's zero prep going on. It's that the focus is on fixing our own fundamental problems first. Once that's fixed, then we'll turn our attention to the specifics of the enemy.

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
It's not that there's zero prep going on. It's that the focus is on fixing our own fundamental problems first. Once that's fixed, then we'll turn our attention to the specifics of the enemy.
Yes, also remember a whole new offense is being installed, my understanding is they didn’t even see half of it in Spring.
Not just new offense for players but this staff is building offense up from scratch as a unit. I’m guessing extra time to get comfortable with offense for seasons as important as picking parts for specific game.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Also this is a case where we know less than normal about Louisville ( first game, new coach, and many new players) so it is more of a "generic" prep.