2023 Fall Practice Notes

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Agree.

I hope non starters are way better than in past.

We wont be near Alabama where the practice with their 1 verses 2 is like a regular game 1 verses 1.

I think we will be hearing about competitive practices.

Then when a few practice injuries occur , I can complain about that.

Hoping our OC has a way to play the backups qbs.

Our biggest issue on the OL wasn't the bodies, it was having our OL practice with one hand tied behind their backs. No live scrimmaging and physical practices pretty much gave our OL no chance on game days. Once Key took over, re-instituted full scrimmage practices and physical drills, the OL did improve. Hopefully a full spring and Fall Camp shows even more improvement.

I think there's is some talent along our OL, and some of the guys may end up being All ACC at some point...but we were never getting them a chance to fully develop their skillset the way we practiced.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Our biggest issue on the OL wasn't the bodies, it was having our OL practice with one hand tied behind their backs. No live scrimmaging and physical practices pretty much gave our OL no chance on game days. Once Key took over, re-instituted full scrimmage practices and physical drills, the OL did improve. Hopefully a full spring and Fall Camp shows even more improvement.

I think there's is some talent along our OL, and some of the guys may end up being All ACC at some point...but we were never getting them a chance to fully develop their skillset the way we practiced.
Bingo! Give the man a cigar. The 1st thing Key said he was changing was practice.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Isn’t there some things you can do to limit injuries? Like just go 1 vs 1 for most of your full speed reps and go 1/2 speed or spread the guys out when you’ve got the whole OL/DL units out there?

Kinda off topic. Meant to post earlier. —-After watching some Haynes King highlights I’m not as comfortable anointing ZP to the starting QB position as I felt before. I really thought ZP would be the guy but HK has a really strong arm and is very mobile and athletic. He ran track and played basketball as well in High School and his father is/was also a coach.

I’m thinking if they are about equal HK will get the nod as he has a little more experience and age and ZP will be the QB in wait as he’s younger. Either way we have pretty good depth in that room.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Isn’t there some things you can do to limit injuries? Like just go 1 vs 1 for most of your full speed reps and go 1/2 speed or spread the guys out when you’ve got the whole OL/DL units out there?

Kinda off topic. Meant to post earlier. —-After watching some Haynes King highlights I’m not as comfortable anointing ZP to the starting QB position as I felt before. I really thought ZP would be the guy but HK has a really strong arm and is very mobile and athletic. He ran track and played basketball as well in High School and his father is/was also a coach.

I’m thinking if they are about equal HK will get the nod as he has a little more experience and age and ZP will be the QB in wait as he’s younger. Either way we have pretty good depth in that room.
King had a interception problem at A&M, didn't he?. I'm more interested on who can find the open guy and deliver on time.

slugboy

Staff member

After last year, I’d like to see someone go through four games in good health.

Unless we get a lot of quick release throws and much, much better blocking, I think all three are getting snaps

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

Two things can help prevent injuries, especially leg injuries: 1. get in shape 2. go full speed during potential contact until the whistle blows. A lot of those position "drills" are for muscle memory and to learn to set your body up in a good football position to make contact, but also to get in shape

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I keep hoping to see a practice report on here 😭
Lots of people like to try and prove they are smart saying what “should” happen in conference realignment when 98% of them are clueless as to finances for such actions.

Talk real Football. LOL

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
Yeah, it’s nice to listen to a ball coach. I don’t believe for a minute though he has been completely in the dark about realignment. I know it’s not his job to worry about or anything he can help, but it’s hard not to think about as someone in his position.

albanyjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Not a big fan of some of the questions. Someone ask about the linebackers, who is standing out among the receivers, etc. The generic questions are fine but don't need to be the ones most asked.

NorthAvenueNation

Jolly Good Fellow
I just watched the interviews with King, Pyron, and Gibson. I appreciate the nod they all gave to each other and how they each push each other to be better. If we are going on interview skills, Pyron will be the starter 🤣

I’m excited that we ACTUALLY have a QB room again and that three good players are going after it each day in camp!

Time will tell…

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
I really need to stop drinking early in the morning and be more like other drunks and wait till after lunch.
Stupid plan.... Eat lunch earlier.....

real housewives of new york drinking GIF