2023 Fall Practice Notes

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
It's not like we haven't tried with OL. We brought in Jordan Brown and Scaglione as transfers this offseason. Last year it was Corey Robinson, Pierce Quick (who is no longer playing) and Paul Tchio. We also signed 5 freshmen. Like DT, it is a premium position that is prone to career ending injury, misevaluation and, in the portal era, cherry-picking by factories.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
The offensive line problems go back to running the option, which takes a different size of player and type of talent than a balanced offense that FBS teams run. It can take years to rebuild an OL, especially at OT, which is what we are seeing.

When you have just graduated Calvin Johnson and have BayBay Thomas on your squad, hiring a coach that doesn't throw the ball is just dumb. We could have been WR U, but the GT Athletic Board killed that, and left us with what we are still trying to rebuild from.
1. How many option OL are there still on the team?

2. We did throw the ball, enough to post back to back 9 and 11 win seasons and get DT drafted in the first round. Seems to me that worked out well for both parties. We then sent quite a few WR to the NFL despite them being low rated prospects out of high school.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
1. How many option OL are there still on the team?

2. We did throw the ball, enough to post back to back 9 and 11 win seasons and get DT drafted in the first round. Seems to me that worked out well for both parties. We then sent quite a few WR to the NFL despite them being low rated prospects out of high school.

1. I think the Safety King who sat out last year is only guy from cpj. Hope he balls out.

2. Imo, cpj did a great job w minimal resources.

When he left, we WAY WAY under spent on the new hire.
If the big tv guys play fruit basket turn over soon, we are in a weak position as reality comes a knocking.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Loved Gibson’s realistic mature attitude. Seems like a very solid young man who makes his parents proud. King sounds like a D1 QB baller that knows football is about one thing - producing. Pyron sounds like a great young man who has a lot of upside. Just seeing the spring game and listening to this I expect King and Pyron to both get early action but just a feeling that King emerges as the playmaker. But very happy to have all 3.

Bleedwhiteandgold

Georgia Tech Fan
We are always worrying about depth in the OLine yet we continue to sign dozens of DB’s and WR’s who never see the field yet the one area where we are weak every year we don’t over recruit. It’s just maddening.

And whenever I bring it up I’m told we recruit the same number as everyone else so I shouldn’t worry. Except that when UGA signs 5 a class they get production from 4 at some point down the road. When we sign 5 we are lucky to get production from 1 down the road. Now, when the sport goes from tackle to flag then we will be built for it no doubt since it seems like we get commitments every week from a DB. Maybe our plan is to convert DB’s to the OLine.
NM

Eli

Helluva Engineer
The offensive line problems go back to running the option, which takes a different size of player and type of talent than a balanced offense that FBS teams run. It can take years to rebuild an OL, especially at OT, which is what we are seeing.

When you have just graduated Calvin Johnson and have BayBay Thomas on your squad, hiring a coach that doesn't throw the ball is just dumb. We could have been WR U, but the GT Athletic Board killed that, and left us with what we are still trying to rebuild from.
Yeah dude Ga Tech should totally make a hire based on one player who wasn’t even the leading receiver and the second returning receiver would have been DJ Donley with 8 catches. Oh and his stats were worse in a “pro offense” than any year under Paul. Not a very smart person I see..

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
jacketup I agree with you that we were always going to have to pay a big time price if we decided to come out of playing academy style FB. Everyone who has ever made that decision has paid the price. In GT's case it was a higher price because of our commitment to seeing that our student athletes get a GT degree where as with other schools making the change they would just run off the existing kids and replace them in a shorter period with the type players they needed. I watched Arkansas go through this after Kenny Hatfield left Fayetteville. They hired Danny Ford as a consultant to help them make the transition and he eventually became their HC. There was a little more to Danny's consultant status than just that at the time.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Weinke today's AJC
“I’ve had the opportunity to coach a lot of quarterbacks over the years, and I always look for makeup first. This summer, this is about as excited as I’ve been approaching a fall training camp,” Weinke said Friday after Tech’s fourth practice of the preseason. “The reason I say that is because of the young men in that room. To me, the most fun being a coach is when you have competition.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Jacket20

Georgia Tech Fan
It's not like we haven't tried with OL. We brought in Jordan Brown and Scaglione as transfers this offseason. Last year it was Corey Robinson, Pierce Quick (who is no longer playing) and Paul Tchio. We also signed 5 freshmen. Like DT, it is a premium position that is prone to career ending injury, misevaluation and, in the portal era, cherry-picking by factories.
Absolutely plus they have to "want" to come here!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I'm looking forward to calling for the backup QB AND the backup backup QB this year. Need the backups to have experienced for when the starter goes down or gets tired. The requirement for a foot ball player to play the entire game went away 100 years ago.
Agree.

I hope non starters are way better than in past.

We wont be near Alabama where the practice with their 1 verses 2 is like a regular game 1 verses 1.

I think we will be hearing about competitive practices.

Then when a few practice injuries occur , I can complain about that.

Hoping our OC has a way to play the backups qbs.