2023 Fall Practice Notes

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
Couple interesting things:
- Jamal Haynes moved to RB
- seems like they are worried about depth on o-line. Especially center.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I just want to go on record saying...it is so refreshing to have a HC that actually speaks like one, and looks like he knows what he is doing. It has been a few years since I have felt that way.
It's such a small but monumental thing to know that when you see our boys take the field they have a chance to win.

It was exhausting to be numb for years and not expect to win at ALL.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Couple interesting things:
- Jamal Haynes moved to RB
- seems like they are worried about depth on o-line. Especially center.
We are always worrying about depth in the OLine yet we continue to sign dozens of DB’s and WR’s who never see the field yet the one area where we are weak every year we don’t over recruit. It’s just maddening.

And whenever I bring it up I’m told we recruit the same number as everyone else so I shouldn’t worry. Except that when UGA signs 5 a class they get production from 4 at some point down the road. When we sign 5 we are lucky to get production from 1 down the road. Now, when the sport goes from tackle to flag then we will be built for it no doubt since it seems like we get commitments every week from a DB. Maybe our plan is to convert DB’s to the OLine.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree with you SOWEGA. We need more big linemen and less DB's and WR's. I hope we will see this become more the norm as we go forward under Key. If not we have little to no chance competing at a high level. The game is won or lost at the line of scrimmage.

Go Jackets!

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I agree with you SOWEGA. We need more big linemen and less DB's and WR's. I hope we will see this become more the norm as we go forward under Key. If not we have little to no chance competing at a high level. The game is won or lost at the line of scrimmage.

Go Jackets!
It's comforting to know Key doesn't have to make roster decisions alone. He has advisors on the Swarm who have more experience than him and his staff. I am certain he consults their counsel frequently.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
We are always worrying about depth in the OLine yet we continue to sign dozens of DB’s and WR’s who never see the field yet the one area where we are weak every year we don’t over recruit. It’s just maddening.

And whenever I bring it up I’m told we recruit the same number as everyone else so I shouldn’t worry. Except that when UGA signs 5 a class they get production from 4 at some point down the road. When we sign 5 we are lucky to get production from 1 down the road. Now, when the sport goes from tackle to flag then we will be built for it no doubt since it seems like we get commitments every week from a DB. Maybe our plan is to convert DB’s to the OLine.
It's also about special teams. You have very few lineman on punt and kickoff teams. So players with speed are on those teams. But definitely a tradeoff if we don't recruit OL that is at least average.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
It's also about special teams. You have very few lineman on punt and kickoff teams. So players with speed are on those teams. But definitely a tradeoff if we don't recruit OL that is at least average.
I get it but usually it’s at least week 3 until we start hearing about the lack of our OLine. Now, it’s the 3rd day of practice. And this Is Key’s 5th year on the payroll as a coach. He doesn’t get a pass from me especially since he was the OLine coach for 4 recruiting cycles. If they haven’t fixed the problem then they own the problem. But when we are having this same discussion next season and the season after that we’ll still have posters giving the coach a pass. Without a decent OLine we will lose any skilled position player who proves himself to the portal. That’s just a simple fact of this sport these days.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I get it but usually it’s at least week 3 until we start hearing about the lack of our OLine. Now, it’s the 3rd day of practice. And this Is Key’s 5th year on the payroll as a coach. He doesn’t get a pass from me especially since he was the OLine coach for 4 recruiting cycles. If they haven’t fixed the problem then they own the problem. But when we are having this same discussion next season and the season after that we’ll still have posters giving the coach a pass. Without a decent OLine we will lose any skilled position player who proves himself to the portal. That’s just a simple fact of this sport these days.
Hey man, i was the guy that said i hated the new coach --- before he was picked. Hating the new coach before being named is elite.

U can't sneak into that elite complainer club by being a perpetual complainer on one point.
Your predition of sloppy ol play in 23 is noted. I think they will be solid as we go into tough games in final part of season.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Hey man, i was the guy that said i hated the new coach --- before he was picked. Hating the new coach before being named is elite.

U can't sneak into that elite complainer club by being a perpetual complainer on one point.
Your predition of sloppy ol play in 23 is noted. I think they will be solid as we go into tough games in final part of season.
Where did I say they’d be sloppy? Or say I didn’t like the coach. The staff is the one talking about the OLine already. I have no issue with Key other than he owns all the results since he has been getting a check from GT (should he not own his results?) Our OLine has been well below average since Key has been getting a paycheck from GT - that’s not me being mean that’s all of us seeing the stats. We have been at the bottom of the ACC in just about every offensive category. I know the general working theory on this board is that every poor position groups performance is hoisted on Collins. And I’m fine with that. I’m ready to give Thacker, Coleman, and Key all a start over button. No problem. But if the staff is already talking about lack of depth on the OLine then I can simply ask why they didn’t address it with the portal with multiple players? We added slot receivers via the portal at a position we are over stocked but yet on day 3 the staff is talking about OLine depth. And I can’t remember a season where OLine depth wasn’t a major factor for us winning or losing games so I don’t understand why it isn’t THE focal part of recruiting.

Jolly Good Fellow
Where did I say they’d be sloppy? Or say I didn’t like the coach. The staff is the one talking about the OLine already. I have no issue with Key other than he owns all the results since he has been getting a check from GT (should he not own his results?) Our OLine has been well below average since Key has been getting a paycheck from GT - that’s not me being mean that’s all of us seeing the stats. We have been at the bottom of the ACC in just about every offensive category. I know the general working theory on this board is that every poor position groups performance is hoisted on Collins. And I’m fine with that. I’m ready to give Thacker, Coleman, and Key all a start over button. No problem. But if the staff is already talking about lack of depth on the OLine then I can simply ask why they didn’t address it with the portal with multiple players? We added slot receivers via the portal at a position we are over stocked but yet on day 3 the staff is talking about OLine depth. And I can’t remember a season where OLine depth wasn’t a major factor for us winning or losing games so I don’t understand why it isn’t THE focal part of recruiting.

Jolly Good Fellow
SOWEGA writes,
"I can simply ask why they didn’t address it with the portal with multiple players? We added slot receivers via the portal at a position we are over stocked but yet on day 3 the staff is talking about OLine depth."

This is a fair question and observation.
Frankly, I think we'll be better upfront... C, OGs are fine..... OT's are iffy.... Depth is great but OL starters will play 90+% of snaps anyway...need a third OT and a third OG/C....