2023 Coaching Carousel

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
I think he’s a position coach, but still…
It’s a good move by DeBoer, IMO. Bringing in proven guys that aren’t gunning for HC jobs (presumably) may give staffs more tenure and consistency. I suspect that as salaries grow for assistants it means you don’t always have to strive for the HC job.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
It’s a good move by DeBoer, IMO. Bringing in proven guys that aren’t gunning for HC jobs (presumably) may give staffs more tenure and consistency. I suspect that as salaries grow for assistants it means you don’t always have to strive for the HC job.

In the NIL era a high poayign assistant for a factory is much more desirable than headcoach at a mid major school where you best players will always leave.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I totally forgot Patenaude went to Buffalo. Hopefully it works out for him.

Good for him if so. I didn't like the offense he ran here and don't think he's some brilliant coach or anything, but I do think he was hamstrung by what he was being asked to do vs what he maybe would have chosen to run, and I've got no ill will towards him personally.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Good for him if so. I didn't like the offense he ran here and don't think he's some brilliant coach or anything, but I do think he was hamstrung by what he was being asked to do vs what he maybe would have chosen to run, and I've got no ill will towards him personally.
Maybe. But his offense sucked at Temple and there were no restrictions put on him there.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
All about the benjies.
It could also be that the winters are harsh by the lake.

Buffalo Bills Football GIF by Storyful

alpha phi news GIF

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
It is concerning that the one program we could count on to beat UGAG (when they did get beat in the past 3-4 years) is now bleeding players at a concerning rate. I guess we knew that sa(t)an was why many of those guys were there, but it is still surprising the number of starters, some of their best, who are leaving. Maybe another team, LSU or FSU or Texas or someone, will replace Bammer as the UGAG spoiler.

I've never been a Saban fan, but I found myself rooting for him when I saw his talent might be the only talent that could stop the gaggers. I am surprised that if Saban really wanted those players to not leave, he couldn't convince them to stay and play for DeBoer. It almost makes me believe he really doesn't want the guy following him to have any chance of immediate success. I guess DeBoer is on his own, and I doubt the bammers will give him any time to right the ship. It is currently sinking pretty fast.

Again, I don't feel sorry for them, but I did like the fact that I could have hope of them stopping the evil located in NE GA.

Last edited:

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Maybe. But his offense sucked at Temple and there were no restrictions put on him there.
DP’s offense at Temple in 2018 had an OFEI ranking at 53. Paul’s offense that year was ranked at 56.

Patenaude is a much better coach than folks on here give him credit for. He’s never coached anywhere with actual resources, yet he’s helped produce All-Americans and NFL players at more than one of his stops. The most resources he ever had was at Tech, but he was severely hamstrung by CGC’s nonsense, negating what little advantage he might’ve gotten in the first places. Would I be interested in having him back at Tech for an on-field role? No. But do I think he’s a very knowledgeable and effective football coach? Yes. Had DP not linked up with Collins during his move to Temple, I think his career arc would look much different than it currently does. Although it is a bit strange he hung around with him as long as he actually did. He tied himself to Collins’ wagon just as much as Stansbury did.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
It is concerning that the one program we could count on to beat UGAG (when they did get beat in the past 3-4 years) is now bleeding players at a concerning rate. I guess we knew that sa(t)an was why many of those guys were there, but it is still surprising the number of starters, some of their best, who are leaving. Maybe another team, LSU or FSU or Texas or someone, will replace Bammer as the UGAG spoiler.

I've never been a Saban fan, but I found myself rooting for him when I saw his talent might be the only talent that could stop the gaggers. I am surprised that if Saban really wanted those players to not leave, he couldn't convince them to stay and play for DeBoer. It almost makes me believe he really doesn't want the guy following him to have any chance of immediate success. I guess DeBoer is on his own, and I doubt the bammers will give him any time to right the ship. It is currently sinking pretty fast.

Again, I don't feel sorry for them, but I did like the fact that I could have hope of them stopping the evil located in NE GA.
Saban would be loyal to the players he brought in or coached, not a new coach. If those players want to leave there is no reason for Saban to try to make them stay.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
DP’s offense at Temple in 2018 had an OFEI ranking at 53. Paul’s offense that year was ranked at 56.

Patenaude is a much better coach than folks on here give him credit for. He’s never coached anywhere with actual resources, yet he’s helped produce All-Americans and NFL players at more than one of his stops. The most resources he ever had was at Tech, but he was severely hamstrung by CGC’s nonsense, negating what little advantage he might’ve gotten in the first places. Would I be interested in having him back at Tech for an on-field role? No. But do I think he’s a very knowledgeable and effective football coach? Yes. Had DP not linked up with Collins during his move to Temple, I think his career arc would look much different than it currently does. Although it is a bit strange he hung around with him as long as he actually did. He tied himself to Collins’ wagon just as much as Stansbury did.

Unfortunately, I think anyone that was tied to Collins was thrown out with the bath water in the eyes of some GT fans. Remember, Key wasn't a very popular GT HFC candidate among our fans for that reason even though he did a good job in his 8 games he was interim HC.