2023 Coaching Carousel

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Money on Dan Lanning.

The worst part about this is without Saban... Kirby and UGA are going to have a lot less competition in recruiting and on the field. I could see a world in which Kirby actually catches Saban in national titles as the NIL era greatly favors a program like UGA.

I wouldn't consider Kirby a better coach than Saban just on title wins alone though since Saban did it over such a long span while adapting to so many different styles as college football rules changed drastically (also he regularly beat him like a red-headed step child). Kirby will kinda just be dealing with the current system of NIL and transfers. Saban went through the evolution of the mobile QB, shift of rules becoming more restrictive on defenses, birth of the transfer portal, NIL, etc.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Bunch of colleges gonna have to pay their coaches to keep 'Bama out of their house. Saban retiring is good news for a lot of coaches and agents.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I think that’s just Thamel’s off-the-top-of-his-head list, but even so, why the “lol” about Franklin? He won at PSU, and before that at Vanderbilt - which almost no one does.
He is a terrible game day coach and has repeatedly shown his team is unlikely to win big games.

He is very good at recruiting and leading a successful program. He is also guaranteed to make 2-3 game day decisions a year that will make you question everything. That being said, him coaching at UA with 100% of play calling to coordinators and it would probably work. I'd personally put him in the booth like Bowden at the end of his career so he isn't allowed to waste time outs either.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
It's amazing how much Dabo stock has fallen in recent years. He was basically seen as the near guaranteed next in line to follow Saban, and his name hasn't come up once in this thread.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
He is a terrible game day coach and has repeatedly shown his team is unlikely to win big games.

He is very good at recruiting and leading a successful program. He is also guaranteed to make 2-3 game day decisions a year that will make you question everything. That being said, him coaching at UA with 100% of play calling to coordinators and it would probably work. I'd personally put him in the booth like Bowden at the end of his career so he isn't allowed to waste time outs either.
Franklin has zero support at Bama. Saban apparently indicated he will hang around to ensure a success transition. Lanning has been mentioned as has Kiffin, who desperately wants it. (And probably why Saban will stick around to make sure he doesn’t get it.)

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Belichick get it, even at 71. Bama will pursue a proven winner because they can.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Bunch of colleges gonna have to pay their coaches to keep 'Bama out of their house. Saban retiring is good news for a lot of coaches and agents.

I hope UGA has to, at least, extend Kirby's contract at an even more absurd salary. I don't believe he'd leave GA, but I think Bama is the only possible college job he might leave for, for enough $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
It's amazing how much Dabo stock has fallen in recent years. He was basically seen as the near guaranteed next in line to follow Saban, and his name hasn't come up once in this thread.
Agreed. But he has not embraced the new reality of NIL and the portal, not to mention peeing on past feelers from Alabama. I find it fascinating that his love fest at Clemson is turning into a toxic relationship. I won’t be surprised to see him leave Clemson but to where?