2023 Coaching Carousel

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
IMO Ted was terrific LB and has always been a great Tech man, but he was not a good DC at Tech and several other places, most recently OU. I hope he finds a good fit elsewhere.

That man must be a fantastic interview 'cause his results do not warrant the constant parade of jobs he gets. It's mind-boggling.

GT Chillin' It

Jolly Good Fellow
If Roof doesn’t land somewhere I’d be all for bringing him in as a defensive analyst. The man still has a great defensive mind and I’m sure we could use him.

slugboy

Staff member
That man must be a fantastic interview 'cause his results do not warrant the constant parade of jobs he gets. It's mind-boggling.
Most coaches are pretty close to average. Some are exceptional. A good number are below average

Ted might be an above average DC. These days, that gets you hired, but it doesn’t lead to longevity.

Being exceptional usually leads to continued head coaching jobs.

P5 schools are looking for exceptional results, and there’s only a handful of those guys, and they usually move up, so everyone else plays musical chairs

I'm going to need more beer.

Stone Brewing Beer GIF by DrSquatch

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Most coaches are pretty close to average. Some are exceptional. A good number are below average

Ted might be an above average DC. These days, that gets you hired, but it doesn’t lead to longevity.

Being exceptional usually leads to continued head coaching jobs.

P5 schools are looking for exceptional results, and there’s only a handful of those guys, and they usually move up, so everyone else plays musical chairs

Stone Brewing Beer GIF by DrSquatch

To be fair, he was probably the best DC CPJ had here.

I think you're right that he's above average, not great. He's respected in coaching circles. He's a solid reliable coach who won't get you in trouble or embarrass you. If you need a DC, you could do a lot worse. But you probably hope you can do better.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
He ain’t all bad, he’s helped beat uga as DC a few times, and like someone above said i’d tale him back as an analyst or position coach in a heartbeat, he’s a very good recruiter and spokesman for Tech

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Oklahoma had the 19th ranked defense per DFEI this year. They were 46th in scoring D allowing 23.46 points per game. They were 78th, however, in total D allowing over 5k yards in true CTR "Bend but don't Break" fashion.

Roof is a good DC but his style of defense will always drive fans to drinking.

yellowjacket144

Georgia Tech Fan
Oklahoma had the 19th ranked defense per DFEI this year. They were 46th in scoring D allowing 23.46 points per game. They were 78th, however, in total D allowing over 5k yards in true CTR "Bend but don't Break" fashion.

Roof is a good DC but his style of defense will always drive fans to drinking.
But how much this defense was Brett Venable doing as well?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Roof has had similar good defenses all along his career. I've put the numbers up before. It's why he keeps getting hired by other HCs. Bend don't Break is perfect for the B12 but I doubt it would fly in the SEC.
Venables is just rearranging deck chairs on his own personal Titanic, he won’t last more than another year or two

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
From what I have read, Roof was likely a stop gap measure as DC at Oklahoma. He was never really meant to be there long term. Venables is going to bring in one of his protégé's now.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Roof has had similar good defenses all along his career. I've put the numbers up before. It's why he keeps getting hired by other HCs. Bend don't Break is perfect for the B12 but I doubt it would fly in the SEC.
Roof’s bend don’t break style D works with a conservative coach who works field position hard, someone like Chan Gailey. It won’t work so well with a risk-taker who goes for 4th downs, fills the air with passes, and otherwise puts his D in bad situations consistently.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Considering TEs were pretty nonexistent in the Flex Option, this is an interesting hire. Wonder if the ultimate goal is to fold some flex option concepts into Chip Kelly's offense.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Will the Falcons go for a college HC or get another retread NFL assistant?
If them or someone else goes college, a lot of dominos could fall.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Will the Falcons go for a college HC or get another retread NFL assistant?
If them or someone else goes college, a lot of dominos could fall.
I would go for the Lions OC. College coaches often have a very hard transition to being NFL HCs. Very different jobs.