2023 Coaching Carousel

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Back in the 90’s under maybe… Goldsmith??? They were good with Julius Peppers, and for a year or two under Butch. Since then, not so much.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Not at all unexpected.

I've seen enough Chizik defenses to hope he's not on our list.
I knew this was coming. Mack had made some public comments about the defense earlier in the season. Now we have to compete with a DC hire with what I consider a similar program. The 64 thousand $ question is how much longer Mack coaches.

JTS

Georgia Tech Fan
UNC is a right hire away from being a problem for people. Can't imagine them with a great coach. Glad PJ didn't go there years ago.
All of the best years of UNC football that I can remember have been with Mack Brown as HC either the first time around or the current. UNC has been pretty bad at football otherwise.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
UNC is a right hire away from being a problem for people. Can't imagine them with a great coach. Glad PJ didn't go there years ago.

Folks have been saying that for actual decades. It's not true now. I'm not sure it ever was.

Mack Brown was supposed to be 'the one' there. Reports of his greatness(sic) back in the day are exaggerated imho.

They'll have flashes in the pan but won't ever sustain anything.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
All of the best years of UNC football that I can remember have been with Mack Brown as HC either the first time around or the current. UNC has been pretty bad at football otherwise.
**** Crum had some good teams with Amos Lawrence and Lawrence Taylor.

slugboy

Staff member
Offensive and defensive coordinators are being let go today. The portal is closed.
LSU, UNC, Hawaii. More probably coming tomorrow

Tjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Offensive and defensive coordinators are being let go today. The portal is closed.
LSU, UNC, Hawaii. More probably coming tomorrow
LSU fired their defensive staff Tuesday and has targeted Missouri defensive coordinator 2 days later as replacement. That’s knowing what you want.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
LSU fired their defensive staff Tuesday and has targeted Missouri defensive coordinator 2 days later as replacement. That’s knowing what you want.

Nah, that's dudes interviewing for other dudes' jobs knowing the job ain't open yet - which is an absolutely scummy thing to do in the coaching profession.

It's also probably laughing and shooting the breeze with dudes that work for you, knowing their families, kids, etc., then interviewing dudes to replace them behind their back.

Some will say, "grow up, kg, happens all the time."

Just because folks do it, don't make it ok. If our protracted process is because we're tryna do right by guys, I'm cool with it.

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
I have two kale recipes that taste better than good: kale Caesar salad, and bacon-kale-tomato salad. Does that mean (u)NC is about to become a threat? Should I burn those recipes?
It means we have different definitions of good and better than good. Or maybe you smoked for 20 years.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Personally, I wouldn't mind having Ted Roof back... Just not as DC. LB coach if Sherrer is taking other duties or a defensive analyst. He's a good coach and recruiter. I've only ever heard good things about him personally. People keep hiring him for a reason. (And firing him for his playcalling.)

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
If our protracted process is because we're tryna do right by guys, I'm cool with it.

futurama agree GIF

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Personally, I wouldn't mind having Ted Roof back... Just not as DC. LB coach if Sherrer is taking other duties or a defensive analyst. He's a good coach and recruiter. I've only ever heard good things about him personally. People keep hiring him for a reason. (And firing him for his playcalling.)
IMO Ted was terrific LB and has always been a great Tech man, but he was not a good DC at Tech and several other places, most recently OU. I hope he finds a good fit elsewhere.