2023 Coaching Carousel

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Why would harbaugh leave michigan now, he has finally built a team that can compete for championships every year. Only reason I see is upcoming sanctions but as we all know, the ncaa does not seem to have any teeth left to do that. Same goes for Kirby. Wish all you want but he is not leaving the cesspool to go fail in the nfl unless some type of punishment is in the works, but again, highly unlikely. Hope I’m wrong because I despise both those guys, but I doubt either leaves the situations they have and the only nfl owner stupid to throw ridiculous money at college coaches is Tepper and I assume even he has learned something.
Harbaugh seems to like to move around and "build" programs. He has done that everywhere he has coached. Some guys are that way.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Why would harbaugh leave michigan now, he has finally built a team that can compete for championships every year. Only reason I see is upcoming sanctions but as we all know, the ncaa does not seem to have any teeth left to do that. Same goes for Kirby. Wish all you want but he is not leaving the cesspool to go fail in the nfl unless some type of punishment is in the works, but again, highly unlikely. Hope I’m wrong because I despise both those guys, but I doubt either leaves the situations they have and the only nfl owner stupid to throw ridiculous money at college coaches is Tepper and I assume even he has learned something.
There is one potential motivation that could get Kirby to leave for the NFL: pride. He was undrafted after college and got cut from the NFL in preseason. His mentor Nick Saban tried being a head coach in the NFL and failed. If Kirby wants to prove that he’s better than Saban, one way of doing that would be to succeed at coaching where Saban couldn’t. Unfortunately, that scenario would be a long shot. I think Key is just going to have to get us to the point where we can eke out a win over Kirby every now and then.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
One rumor I heard was that Kirby goes to the Falcons for a boat load of money. If he wins fine, if not he goes to Bama when Saban retires. Another rumor was that Harbaugh was pi$$ed at the Big and Michigan for not defending him when he was suspended. Then Brian Kelley goes to the big house. And LSU goes after Kiffin.
of course, at this point, it’s all speculation at best.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
One rumor I heard was that Kirby goes to the Falcons for a boat load of money. If he wins fine, if not he goes to Bama when Saban retires. Another rumor was that Harbaugh was pi$$ed at the Big and Michigan for not defending him when he was suspended. Then Brian Kelley goes to the big house. And LSU goes after Kiffin.
of course, at this point, it’s all speculation at best.
Of all those rumors Kirby to the falcons has the most teeth assuming blank has the balls to fire Smith.

WraleighWreck

Georgia Tech Fan
You have to believe ugag would match any offer Kirby got from the nfl. So, it would only be a matter of proving he can win where others haven’t.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
You have to believe ugag would match any offer Kirby got from the nfl. So, it would only be a matter of proving he can win where others haven’t.
Thats why it has the teeth. Kirby has UGA as a machine right now but he's also a georgia boy, he's a Falcons fan. You have to imagine that coaching the Atlanta Falcons is a dream job. I don't think any other team could draw him. He also probably knows that if he goes up to the NFL and it doesn't work out. UGA will be a landing spot even if he has to wait a couple of years.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I doubt the NFL would offer more money than Kirby could make in College. The only coaches that make much more than he does at GA are guys who already have Superbowl rings - Bellicheck, Payton, Carroll. What the NFL offers is great money, prestige and a much better quality of life, no 24/7/365 recruiting lifestyle. If it didn't work out, he could name his price to come back to college. TAMU, for example, would sell all of their firstborn sons to get Kirby.

I'm hoping it into existence because of the anguish it would cause for dawg fans. Hopefully, they'd go through a 10-15 year coach carousel mediocrity ride like FL and Tenn have been on.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Thats why it has the teeth. Kirby has UGA as a machine right now but he's also a georgia boy, he's a Falcons fan. You have to imagine that coaching the Atlanta Falcons is a dream job. I don't think any other team could draw him. He also probably knows that if he goes up to the NFL and it doesn't work out. UGA will be a landing spot even if he has to wait a couple of years.
College coaches going to the NFL generally does not end well. Players are grown men and coaching them is very different than college teens early 20s guys. In college Kirby has a huge talent advantage in 12 out of 13 games. In the NFL the talent advantage is small from the best to worst team. Coaching matters much more in the Pros than College.

NFL teams without a top flight QB have a hard time winning big. The rest of the team needs to be excellent and superbly coached. Picking a QB in the first round results with a miss more than a hit, however, getting a top flight QB outside the 1st round is generally just lucky.

Kirby has the best job in College right now. Hard to imagine him leaving.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Truth.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
College coaches going to the NFL generally does not end well. Players are grown men and coaching them is very different than college teens early 20s guys. In college Kirby has a huge talent advantage in 12 out of 13 games. In the NFL the talent advantage is small from the best to worst team. Coaching matters much more in the Pros than College.

NFL teams without a top flight QB have a hard time winning big. The rest of the team needs to be excellent and superbly coached. Picking a QB in the first round results with a miss more than a hit, however, getting a top flight QB outside the 1st round is generally just lucky.

Completely agree. I can't imagine Kirby leaving UGA for, of all teams, the Falcons. I understand the notion of a truckload of money. But I think for him to leave UGA for the NFL two things would have to be true:
  • He has to want to be an NFL head coach AND not care that if things don't work out there that the UGA job probably won't be there waiting for him (unless whomever they would get to replace him fails)
  • A team would have to be a GREAT opportunity for him to win and, let's be honest, the Falcons aren't anywhere near that type of team. Beck might be better than any QB on the Falcons roster and that's more a commentary on the worth of the Falcons QBs than saying Beck is awesome.
I can't imagine both of those being true right now. Maybe I'm wrong.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I doubt the NFL would offer more money than Kirby could make in College. The only coaches that make much more than he does at GA are guys who already have Superbowl rings - Bellicheck, Payton, Carroll. What the NFL offers is great money, prestige and a much better quality of life, no 24/7/365 recruiting lifestyle. If it didn't work out, he could name his price to come back to college. TAMU, for example, would sell all of their firstborn sons to get Kirby.

I'm hoping it into existence because of the anguish it would cause for dawg fans. Hopefully, they'd go through a 10-15 year coach carousel mediocrity ride like FL and Tenn have been on.

The top 10 highest paid NFL coaches make between $9.5-$20 million.

To top 10 highest paid college coaches make between $9-$11.4 million.

Kirby Smart makes $10.7m (before incentives). If an NFL owner wants someone enough, they'll get him if Smart is in it only for the money. Owners have billions to play with. I doubt Kirby leaves because he's pretty much operating like a king. His team's academic success rate is the lowest in FBS, and no one is saying anything. His kids are getting in trouble left and right, and it's making little headlines in the local paper, and pretty nonexistent nationally. He runs that program without question.

If he goes to the NFL, he'll have the League up his butt, have to answer to a GM and an Owner, has less control over his players because some of them are making more money than he does, and he won't be winning like he does at UGA. He's already seen how the NFL works up close with Saban. Is that worth a few million more a year?

Only Kirby can answer that, but I doubt he leaves now that UGA is at this level, and next year's team is one of the favorites to win it all with a first round QB coming back.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
The idea that the Falcons would throw a massive amount of money at a college coach who didn't play in the NFL and only coached there for one year as an assistant is hilarious.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
The idea that the Falcons would throw a massive amount of money at a college coach who didn't play in the NFL and only coached there for one year as an assistant is hilarious.
Have the Falcons ever done anything that wasn’t hilarious?
I don’t think he would leave, but:
*he wouldn’t have to recruit
*you can lose 6-7 games and still make the playoffs
*money
*going out pretty much on top
*Urban type burnout
*something related to the stuff that happened last year legally that hasn’t been revealed.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Correct. Plus he's a recruiter more than a coach. NFL doesn't need recruiters.

slugboy

Staff member
Not at all unexpected.

I've seen enough Chizik defenses to hope he's not on our list.
UNC keeps rotating DCs. They just do badly at UNC—several have had better runs elsewhere.
Since fans are grumbling that Brown needs to retire, and he looks pretty dang tired, I’d think UNC is going to get an experienced name brand coach. They got up and comers before Chizik, and they didn’t work out.
Durkin, maybe?