2023 Coaching Carousel

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Can’t figure out why he’d leave BYU for UVA, do ok with them, retire, then come back to New Mexico
Some guys are just western guys. Probably was miserable at UVA and needed a year off. If BYU continues to scrape the bottom of the Big12, don’t be surprised to see him back there in a year or two.

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
Not exactly an "unimpeachable" source....

kirby.jpg

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
It's possible Thacker and Tillman already have jobs lined up somewhere else and they are still part of the staff, albeit in lesser roles, to fulfill their contracts. There's a reason why most assistant coaches stay with schools until after signing day...THEN they move on.
They are helping preparing game plan for ucf and looking for a job.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Good for Patenaude. I think he'll prove to be a MUCH better OC than Collins allowed him to be here.

Agreed. He did some phenomenal stuff at Coastal Carolina with Joe Moglia.

I often wondered why things here were so...crummy, but ultimately wrote them off to MoBS rather than him. My guess is I was correct to do so. Hope he does well at Buffalo.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
That now makes it both coordinators, and the majority of the staff at Colorado turning over.

I watched a good bit of Colorado this season. Their D wasn’t good but to give CK some credit, they were often put in bad situations by the offense. Having an almost entirely new roster and a rolling crew at DB didn’t help.
I think there is a transition in CFB to coaches that can get their defenses to gel quickly. There is so much turnover in the roster that getting players unfamiliar with each other to play as a unit will be the top priority. I think the era of honing guys over their career into a unit is past us. Now it’s get guys into position and hope their talent can make it happen.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
While I think CDP was partially to blame. TFG definitely threw him under the bus. Glad he gets another shot!

Patenaude wasn't allowed to go full pads and full speed in practice (this is confirmed to the public), and Collins didn't want him to run any kind of option (this was told to me by a donor) because Collins didn't want anything during his tenure to resemble CPJ's option offense which Collins used as a punchline when the mics and cameras were turned off/not around.

Look at what Patenaude ran at Coastal, and how much success he had there, and look at the QB personnel (James Graham, Tobias Oliver, Jordan Yates) that was on the roster. The real offense that Patenaude wanted to run would have had much more success, and would have been a faster transition, than what occurred over the 3+ years under Collins. Watch what he runs at Buffalo...it's going to have option elements as well RPO. It's going to be a lot better to watch than what we had to endure.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I watched a good bit of Colorado this season. Their D wasn’t good but to give CK some credit, they were often put in bad situations by the offense. Having an almost entirely new roster and a rolling crew at DB didn’t help.
I think there is a transition in CFB to coaches that can get their defenses to gel quickly. There is so much turnover in the roster that getting players unfamiliar with each other to play as a unit will be the top priority. I think the era of honing guys over their career into a unit is past us. Now it’s get guys into position and hope their talent can make it happen.
Its what made that bastardized double tight flexbone formation he had chip long use for sweeps and traditional runs even funnier. If he'd let Pat just make an offense to the personnel he'd have gone bowling every year. Fortunately he didn't and the football savant is gone and we have a better coach

Last edited:

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Will Saban retire? Will Harbaugh or Smart go pro? Will the dominos fall or will the status quo resume?
I'm hoping for chaos in the Big and Sec.

WraleighWreck

Georgia Tech Fan
Why would harbaugh leave michigan now, he has finally built a team that can compete for championships every year. Only reason I see is upcoming sanctions but as we all know, the ncaa does not seem to have any teeth left to do that. Same goes for Kirby. Wish all you want but he is not leaving the cesspool to go fail in the nfl unless some type of punishment is in the works, but again, highly unlikely. Hope I’m wrong because I despise both those guys, but I doubt either leaves the situations they have and the only nfl owner stupid to throw ridiculous money at college coaches is Tepper and I assume even he has learned something.