2023 Coaching Carousel

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
IIRC, there was scuttlebutt of something else going on. Apparently, either him or his family wasn't happy on the east coast. This move fits that narrative, I suppose - getting him back out west.

Last time I checked (I really haven't), there aren't all that many Mormons in Charlottesville.

Mendenhall was previously on staff at UNM 1998-2002 before moving to BYU.

ETA: Just an observation from going to C'ville many, many times for work & SWMBO having a bunch of family there. Plenty of Presbyterians, Methodists, Baptists, Catholics, Episcopalians, Jews, et al, but not much more than the door-to-door IYKWIM Mormons.

Last edited:

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
Last time I checked (I really haven't), there aren't all that many Mormons in Charlottesville.

Mendenhall was previously on staff at UNM 1998-2002 before moving to BYU.
Yeh - was probably more than a little culture shock moving to Charlottesville.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Edit: wow, same story posted almost in tandem

Way to throw us off the trail of your burner account, slugb.

Arrested Development Flirt GIF

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Per Thamel- dook has hired Manny Diaz, seems an odd fit.

Definitely an odd fit. I'd be shocked if he's not shocked early on by the academic component there.

But this puts up one step closer to seeing Manni patrolling the sidelines in his sexy receiver gloves again. Everybody wins?

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Per Thamel- dook has hired Manny Diaz, seems an odd fit.
Was Elko a good fit when he went to Duke? Both coaches seem to be similar. It also makes some sense because Duke is already good defensively, so bringing in a good defensive minded coach to take over a team with a strength of defense should work out.

I was hoping PSU would throw HC money at Manny, because I think he's the only reason they've won game, and they now have to replace both coordinators.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
This makes no sense to me. Economics is serious work.
Depends on the program, just like sociology.

Today people share stories in bars, read some on the internet, put too much faith in their own experience, and listen to some strong opinions by fringe “experts,” and honestly believe they are an expert on everything from epidemiology to psychology to theology to investing in the stock market. Every field requires discipline and rigor if taught in a reputable way.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Holy Cross, along with Slippery Rock, were two places early football scores came in from when I was child and almost all your Saturday football news was on a big board in an ABC studio. Holy Cross was terrible when I was working In Worcester years later but this year they gave Boston College a better game than we did.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Manny Diaz had every resource he could want at Miami, including some "resources" off the field. He did OK, but definitely no where near Miami's expectations hence his firing in Year 3.

Duke is a job where you have to be able to make more out of less. Maybe he's learned something since 2021? I don't think so, and Duke job is notoriously tough.

Duke should have went after Curt Cignetti, or Willie Fritz. Coaches who've done more with less.

That's OK with me though. No need to have Duke competitive with GT.