2023 All ACC Team

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Oops, skimmed it and miss read it.

Who else would you put on the All Conference team. I thought King should be 3rd team QB. He was 3 votes behind Plumber who likely got more votes as Louisville has a much better record than GT.

I don't see anyone else on our team that the list screals is missing. Hard to put any other defender on as bad as our defensive stats were.

On offense we spread the ball around among the receivers. OL hard to say. They struggled early but were solid late in the season less the Clemson game.
Absolutely agree that outside of one defender we didn’t deserve anyone from defense on 1-3 teams.

On offense I wondered about J Haynes. I guess if you just go by stats he doesn’t make the list but he was a threat on offense that made us much better. If the offensive line continues to improve he could have some eye catching stats that justify his role as a difference maker.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Although GT placed fourth in conference standings, at 6-6 we did not have the overall record to garner the attention that some of the teams above us have. There is likely some bias toward teams that have the best overall W-L records.
This is the biggest problem I have with so many “individual” awards. Granted, individual statistics tend to follow W/L success, but more often than not, individual achievements are diminished because the W/L record isnt there.

Simplest answer is that voters probably tend to watch the more successful teams, but maybe voters should take a more objective approach.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Absolutely agree that outside of one defender we didn’t deserve anyone from defense on 1-3 teams.

On offense I wondered about J Haynes. I guess if you just go by stats he doesn’t make the list but he was a threat on offense that made us much better. If the offensive line continues to improve he could have some eye catching stats that justify his role as a difference maker.
Crap. Just realized J Haynes is listed two different places? Honorable mention as AP but also 3rd team? I’m confused and will just shut up now.

gtcole

Jolly Good Fellow
Plummer, 2952 total passing, 21 TD, 11 Int, 60 total rushing, 1 TD
King, 2755 total passing, 26 TD, 15 int, 648 total rushing, 9 TD

Rushing stats easily put King above Plummer

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Plummer, 2952 total passing, 21 TD, 11 Int, 60 total rushing, 1 TD
King, 2755 total passing, 26 TD, 15 int, 648 total rushing, 9 TD

Rushing stats easily put King above Plummer
As others have said the Louisville 10-2 record vs the GT 6-6 record likely played into the voting. Plumber got 34 votes and King got 31 votes. It was very close between them.

slugboy

Staff member
Here’s the comment about DB Myles Sims from Hale (not former QB Jeff Sims, if any of you were confused). Myles Sims had a great year, and fits the “lock down corner“ definition.

As for QBs, it’s a really tough position to evaluate. The top two are going to be Travis and Maye, who were in the Heisman discussion for a while. After that, there’s a jam up of Shrader, King, Van Dyke, and Leonard. We like King for obvious reasons, and hope his best days are ahead of him.

Plummer is an odd pick, though.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Here’s the comment about DB Myles Sims from Hale (not former QB Jeff Sims, if any of you were confused). Myles Sims had a great year, and fits the “lock down corner“ definition.

As for QBs, it’s a really tough position to evaluate. The top two are going to be Travis and Maye, who were in the Heisman discussion for a while. After that, there’s a jam up of Shrader, King, Van Dyke, and Leonard. We like King for obvious reasons, and hope his best days are ahead of him.

Plummer is an odd pick, though.

I hope I don't sound like a Plummer fanboy because I'm not, but he finished 2nd in passing yards and 1st in completion % on a team that is going to the conference championship. No surprise to me that he was picked 3rd.

Edit to add: Plummer's QBR is second highest as well.

slugboy

Staff member
I hope I don't sound like a Plummer fanboy because I'm not, but he finished 2nd in passing yards and 1st in completion % on a team that is going to the conference championship. No surprise to me that he was picked 3rd.

Edit to add: Plummer's QBR is second highest as well.
You and I are looking at a different QBR

IMG_2448.png

EPA is another interesting way to look at it

IMG_2449.png

Travis and Maye are 1-2. There are arguments for third. King is reminding me of Josh Allen right now—there are ups and downs, but his ceiling is so so high.

Plummer may have gotten a team award.

Maybe we can figure out a two QB set for the bowl and next season and scare the **** out of people

Last edited:

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I’m not so sure we’re being biased here. I’ve seen Haynes King mentioned as a snub in non-GT circles today.
I would be interested in seeing who thinks King was snubbed at Honorable Mention. Personally, I would have him 3rd, which he missed by just 3 votes. But I can also see a case for Plummer over King by a small margin. I would have been quite surprised to see King put any higher than 3rd, over Maye and Travis.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer

View attachment 15244

View attachment 15245

Travis and Maye are 1-2. There are arguments for third. King is reminding me of Josh Allen right now—there are ups and downs, but his ceiling is so so high.

Maybe we can figure out a two QB set for the bowl and next season and scare the **** out of people
You're correct - I was looking at the passing stats and saw just the passer rating which has Plummer in 2nd. Also, agree that Plummer got a bump from team W-L record.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

View attachment 15244

View attachment 15245

I won't quibble about King's place on All ACC. He was a top 4 ACC QB all season, and he was voted as such when the All ACC team was released. King was the only Honorable Mention All ACC QB...and they're were only 4 All ACC QBs total.

The biggest thing for me is how GT will have one of the best QBs not only in the ACC, but also in the country next year. As good as King is, he's got room to get even better. His decision making and accuracy can improve. He'll get more comfortable in a system that's SUPER QB friendly, playing for a one of the better OCs in the country. GT has a budding national star at QB for next season...it's been a LONG LONG time since we've been able to say that. QB is one of the hardest positions in all of sports, and GT has one of the best college QBs coming back.

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
I won't quibble about King's place on All ACC. He was a top 4 ACC QB all season, and he was voted as such when the All ACC team was released. King was the only Honorable Mention All ACC QB...and they're were only 4 All ACC QBs total.

The biggest thing for me is how GT will have one of the best QBs not only in the ACC, but also in the country next year. As good as King is, he's got room to get even better. His decision making and accuracy can improve. He'll get more comfortable in a system that's SUPER QB friendly, playing for a one of the better OCs in the country. GT has a budding national star at QB for next season...it's been a LONG LONG time since we've been able to say that. QB is one of the hardest positions in all of sports, and GT has one of the best college QBs coming back.

Is it fall 2024 yet? I dont think i can wait that long

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, there are some examples of where the voting process is bonkers. I counted 5 UNC players selected - on defense! Give me a break. UNC's defense is actually one of only two ACC teams worse than us in DFEI.
Agree but are choices based on team results or individual player grades?