2022 NCAA Football Rules Changes

slugboy

Staff member
FB is just a game with a high potential for injuries of all types. Big strong and fast guys colliding and often at full speed. Amazing there aren't more injuries. Now long term delayed problems are being identified. It's a very violent sport. I support most of the targeting calls but some are not correctly applied.
I think that the targeting penalty is a solid idea. My main issue is that it’s only called on defense or coverage teams. The offensive player will lower their helmet, but the defender can’t. The one-sidedness of the penalty puts the defenders at risk.

I wish I could find the Tom Brady interview on passing penalties. He argued that they’re developing bad habits in QBs because they can hang a receiver out to dry, but get rewarded with 15 yards (for example)

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
while you have called my argument a straw man you have created an unrealistic scenario yourself. yes, in a perfect world everyone uses their hands and no one takes the shot to the knees but as one article posted said players are getting sloppy with that because they don’t practice defending the cut as it’s just opening up players to get injured. these are college kids who are prone to mistakes i don’t expect everyone to just flawlessly defend it every time. also regardless of where the cut block is, it’s just more likely to see you hit below the knees than you would in a regular block. by your logic we don’t need to make horse collars, clipping, and other penalties illegal because not every horse collar and clip is gonna be the dangerous kind.

while there is no study that states they result in injuries (and no study conducted that says it’s safe either) common sense and medical knowledge would tell you it’s not very safe to get hit in the knees with someone’s full weight on you. while this isn’t every time it’s gonna happen a whole lot more when cutting is legal than other wise. i pretend to be a know it all on here all the time and i’m largely unqualified but this is the one thing i can confidently speak on with qualifications.

we’re just gonna have to agree to disagree
Would you say the fact that we didn't lose any more than average number of defenders during our decade of running the option would be something to look at regarding the safety or lack of safety with respect to cut blocks? Also the number of bowl games where we faced opponents who have not seen the option?

I would be with you if we saw a pattern for all those years we ran the option, but it just wasn't there.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Would you say the fact that we didn't lose any more than average number of defenders during our decade of running the option would be something to look at regarding the safety or lack of safety with respect to cut blocks? Also the number of bowl games where we faced opponents who have not seen the option?

I would be with you if we saw a pattern for all those years we ran the option, but it just wasn't there.
When there's a discrepancy between experience and theory, look for a flaw in the theory.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I think that the targeting penalty is a solid idea. My main issue is that it’s only called on defense or coverage teams. The offensive player will lower their helmet, but the defender can’t. The one-sidedness of the penalty puts the defenders at risk.

I wish I could find the Tom Brady interview on passing penalties. He argued that they’re developing bad habits in QBs because they can hang a receiver out to dry, but get rewarded with 15 yards (for example)
Agree with that.

My pet peeve about the rules and their enforcement has to do with hitting out of bounds. It has little to do with safety, but I hate it when a player is running down the sideline, barely touches it with his pinky toe, keeps running (even the runner is unaware he stepped out), and before the ref can whistle the play dead he gets hit. Ref throws a flag because he was hit after he touched the line, but there was no way the defender could have seen that. It's just a useless and unfair penalty. Or, my favorite - a player (usually a QB) runs down the sideline, and just a millisecond before he's going to get hit steps out of bounds. The defender has absolutely no time to get out of his way but the QB gets a free, extra 15 yards for no good reason at all.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Agree with that.

My pet peeve about the rules and their enforcement has to do with hitting out of bounds. It has little to do with safety, but I hate it when a player is running down the sideline, barely touches it with his pinky toe, keeps running (even the runner is unaware he stepped out), and before the ref can whistle the play dead he gets hit. Ref throws a flag because he was hit after he touched the line, but there was no way the defender could have seen that. It's just a useless and unfair penalty. Or, my favorite - a player (usually a QB) runs down the sideline, and just a millisecond before he's going to get hit steps out of bounds. The defender has absolutely no time to get out of his way but the QB gets a free, extra 15 yards for no good reason at all.
Yesss. Like I said, a lot of football these days is Italian soccer. They teach the players to draw the other team into penalties or to simply - holding - ignore the rules altogether. I see the safety concerns that lead to some of this, but I don't think it has improved the game one whit. And, while I'm at it, don't get me started on how the colleges seem to think they should adopt NFL rules. Those were put together by owners, not players. The owners don't want players to get hurt because it means more money out of their pockets. No doubt some of the new rules - no spearing, for instance - are good ones, now that players are so much bigger and faster. But there was plenty of evidence that spearing was leading to extensive neck injuries. Not so with cut blocking.

And, again, it's not as if evidence couldn't be easily collected. Shoot, two interns and a summer would do the trick for college ball.