2022 GT Football News Thread

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
It was one of the two most important games that year, but I think it was just the best bowl available for us at the time. Like other fans, I remember thinking we'd been shut out. Colorado and Notre Dame were in the Orange bowl, which signed the teams early as a rematch of the previous championship game.
The Citrus Bowl lucked into GT because the bowl dance cards filled up too early. It ended up a mismatch between a great GT team and a #19 Nebraska team.
The Rose Bowl was the Pac10/Big10 game, and although it was a big bowl, it often wasn't an important game in the 80's and 90's.
The Sugar Bowl was a big bowl, and it was set to match the SEC champ + another team, and they picked UVA.
Miami played Texas in a top-5 matchup in the Cotton Bowl.
The right matchup was GT vs Colorado in the Orange Bowl, but the Orange Bowl committee picked too soon, went for a #5 Notre Dame and a big gate, got themselves a championship game but not an undisputed championship game.
We weren't going to bump Texas out of the Cotton Bowl and choosing between Miami at #3 and GT at #2 was a tough decision. We were recovering our ranking at the time that bowls got set too. The end of year win over UGA bumped us up a bit.
The other matchup that should have happened was GT vs Tennessee in the Sugar Bowl.

I'll stick with my opinion that the Citrus was a tier-2 bowl in general.
Great post. The only caveat is that even though Nebraska was ranked 19th, and we were #2, they were a slight favorite. A friend of mine had relatives in Orlando and we stayed with them and went to the game. The morning of the game we found a public tennis court, played tennis and walked to the Citrus Bowl. As we were crossing a parking lot, a huge red bus drives up and a bunch of people get off decked out in all red and white. Not a one of them was younger than 60 and most were older than 70. Funny thing about that game, I thought we had it in the bag from the start based on how we played UGA in Athens a few weeks before.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
going to need to see a source for this..
Agree, GT fans should not be passing judgment on fashion. This is a fact that predates John Heisman.

Unless it's coming from me.

Fashion Posing GIF by NETFLIX

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck