2022 Atlanta Braves

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
The most frustrating thing about being a Braves fan is that the Mets keep winning.

With the way the playoffs are structured now, winning the division really matters. The WC team that advances to the NLDS will go into Game 1 with their #3 or #4 starter. That means the division winner can throw their ace twice in a 5-game series while the WC team will only be able to use their #1 and #2 pitcher once each.
I would argue that the frustrating thing about being a Mets fan is that the Braves keep winning. Looks like it could be a battle down to to the wire. 3 games against each other late in the season. Two of the best 3 teams in the NL fighting for the #2 spot in the playoffs...

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I mean, this is easily proven. Braves should have record of tendering an offer to Freddy's agent. Freddy's ex agent should have record of showing Freddy the offer. I highly doubt Freddy would lie about any of this or for Gottlieb.

If Freddy's agent is correct, this will be a pretty quick trial. If he's not correct, I highly doubt he wants to go through discovery or push this matter. Of course, if the agent is lying, Freddy and MLBPA could make this REAL ugly for him.

Turn out, for the first time ever, you were right. ;)

Per the twitters, Gott-lied has admitted he lied in his tweet. I guess facing a couple million dollar lawsuit forced him to admit what we've known about him for years. (That he's a liar.)

Of course he still didn't fully accept responsibility. Blames his "sources" for being "wrong". Scumbag.

Disclaimer: I've had an unnatural disdain for that guy since his playing days. Sorry, not sorry.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I would argue that the frustrating thing about being a Mets fan is that the Braves keep winning. Looks like it could be a battle down to to the wire. 3 games against each other late in the season. Two of the best 3 teams in the NL fighting for the #2 spot in the playoffs...

If the Braves and Mets keep winning at their current pace since June 1st, (.731 vs .600) the Bravos might just be 2-3 games AHEAD of the Mets going into that series.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
As a relatively neutral guy... I find this to be a quality tweet.

As a Mets fan I can't like your post @FredJacket! But it is true. New owner, new manager, different players, same S***.

I remember when I was at Tech from 1995-2002 when the Mets would come into Atlanta in September down by a game or two. Would leave town down 4 or 5. Larry Jones was the main culprit back then. I don't expect this year to be different.

I guess the bright side of it is that I have a bet with my cousin in NY. Heading to NY for the Jets - Bengals game (I'm a Dolphins fan...) on 9/25. I was expecting the Mets to no longer be in first place by the all star break the way they were playing, so my cousin proposed that if the Mets are in 1st place on 9/27, I pay for tickets, food, and beer for the game against the Marlins on 9/27. Otherwise, she pays. Still hoping to be on the hook for paying, but not holding my breath.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Yeesh. Mets ate a spoon full o' cinnamon for this series. Gag.

Total 'we're in your league but you're not in ours' moment. Ah well. It's not like they had their best 3 pitchers going or this would be really embarrassing, amirite?

Awkward Oh Boy GIF by Sara Dietschy

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
The game last night was helpful in four different ways. The division tiebreaker 10-9, would break the potential 162 game tie on Wednesday of this week. It gave the Braves a two game lead over the MATS(sorry CincyMet for the name calling, but I’ve been calling them that since the 10 1/2 game lead), basically needing only one win vs, the Fishies or one National’s victory in the next three games in N.Y.
Victorious yesterday, Atlanta is almost guaranteed to not play the Dodgers in the Division Series. Allow me to explain. The best record in the NL is L.A. and they play the Wild Card winner after their bye. The NL East Champ will also have a home field advantage on the other side of the bracket; which actually would give Atlanta an easier opponent after their bye. A potentially tough series between say two 100 game winners, and then the Braves could be awaiting for the NLCS.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Not to pile on (which is what you say when you're about to pile on) but the Mets lost that series the second they called that prospect up.

That was a desperation move and totally unfair to the kid. He wasn't good enough to call up for a random series vs the Pirates or some other dreg. But he was good enough to be thrust into the most important series of your season?

Britney Spears GIF

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
Rhetorical question: Is it reasonable that the MLB doesn't overlap playoff games so there can't be all night games? I just don't really give a hoot to watch another playoff game other than my team. Wouldn't more people who aren't a fan of playoff teams be able to switch back and forth, rather than missing games at work etc., creating more viewership? It just seems bush league to me to win 101 games, get a first round bye, then be forced to play a midweek 1:07 pm game.
Don't forget, this is also the same league that allowed a broadcasting team to continue to announce games after they were vocally heard and reported as being biased towards the Dodgers in the NLCS. So no, even as reigning champs, us getting the crappy time slot didn't and will continue to not surprise me.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Rhetorical question: Is it reasonable that the MLB doesn't overlap playoff games so there can't be all night games? I just don't really give a hoot to watch another playoff game other than my team. Wouldn't more people who aren't a fan of playoff teams be able to switch back and forth, rather than missing games at work etc., creating more viewership? It just seems bush league to me to win 101 games, get a first round bye, then be forced to play a midweek 1:07 pm game.

I feel like you have two, fair criticisms.

One, there's no way the reigning champ should have a non-primetime TV slot. Even if you think the ratings won't be as good, the league has to bite that bullet in honor of the team that won it all.

Besides, that's how you build a brand(sic). That's how all these 'legacy' teams built large fanbases. By the league force-feeding certain teams.

Second, and maybe I don't understand how ratings work anymore, but I don't think having a wall of games makes sense. So there's no need to start games at freaking 10am just to avoid overlapping. That seems like the opposite of insight.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Padres will take the Dodge down in five. Play the Bravos in the NLCS.
No, I have not taken up drinking or drugs. Not that I’m casting aspersions on anyone, @kg01 (you ice cream lovin’ dude). Mine is Publix Premium, BOGO!

ETA- I know Tatis is out.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I think the Padres ran into the right opponent and took advantage of their weaknesses. Will they be able to do the same vs LA? I don't think so.

PHI will be a tougher opponent than folks seem to think. Jmho. I would've much preferred the Cardinals since they hamstring themselves by continuing to cart Pujols and Molina out there.

Also would've allowed the Braves to exorcize that demon from years ago. That 0-10 1st or 2nd inning chokefest by that one Braves pitcher never heard from again.

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
I feel like you have two, fair criticisms.

One, there's no way the reigning champ should have a non-primetime TV slot. Even if you think the ratings won't be as good, the league has to bite that bullet in honor of the team that won it all.

Besides, that's how you build a brand(sic). That's how all these 'legacy' teams built large fanbases. By the league force-feeding certain teams.

Second, and maybe I don't understand how ratings work anymore, but I don't think having a wall of games makes sense. So there's no need to start games at freaking 10am just to avoid overlapping. That seems like the opposite of insight.
Padres - Dodgers will always get a night slot because of geography. Then Yankees will get prime time.

If you make the Astros and Seattle play at 1p, that’s 10a in Seattle so why not make the Braves and Phil’s play the early game? It makes sense.