2022-2023 Roster

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
After the draft and transfer deadline, here's where I think we are. A total roster between 41 and 48 players (4 signees and 3 potential grad / 5th year in Mannelly, Medich & Rubenstein). And two transfers so far, there could be more if we get another Chandler available! But we need to get to 35 by February.

Any help or insight on who I missed or shouldn't be there would be appreciated.

25 LHP and RHPs! Last year I said that we'd be fine with depth. Let's hope we get some good development, some of our guys are doing great in summer ball. But all of them can't be on the roster. I couple will be injured since that happens.

Catcher is a position of concern. But the in-field otherwise looks solid as does the OF and DH.

Looking at the impact of the draft on our signees, we did ok other than losing a highly ranked catcher. Of the top 12 PG ranked recruits, we only lost 2. So the good news is our draft class is 3rd in D1 by total points. But the bad news our class is so large and by average points, it's 22nd. I don't know how we can keep all the guys who were signed. These are different times with COVID and the portal changes and NIL.

1659818209166.png

GT Bravo

Jolly Good Fellow
I think there are circumstances that will allow up to 40 if there are seniors who lost 2020 due to Covid. Do we have any of those who would qualify?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think there are circumstances that will allow up to 40 if there are seniors who lost 2020 due to Covid. Do we have any of those who would qualify?

I don't think we had any players who were out for 2020 due to COVID. I read it that the player had to be ill with COVID and therefore not able to play. But maybe I'm reading it rong (again).

GT Bravo

Jolly Good Fellow
Either way we will find out soon enough. Sure looks like they're going to be some folks not playing baseball come spring. I bet competition will be intense during fall practice.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I was going to make a post-draft predictions thread for starters, but I'll just post mine here.

There is definitely going to be a lot of competition and the main spots will be at Catcher and MIF.

I'm going to say that we'll lineup with an outfield of Lovett, Deleo, and Reid with maybe Prince in a platoon with Lovett. I think the infield will be Compton, Romano, Campbell, and Sabathia. I hate to leave Jackson off of the infield starters, but I think Romano and Campbell are both going to be studs. Romano could also be DH, but Diamant and Stanford could both push for that spot since I think they could both be used out of the pen and are blocked at positions right now.

Catcher is the biggest mystery to me for the first time in a long time. We only have Jolley coming in as a freshman and I haven't seen any news on a transfer. Rubenstein's status is also unclear and I remember seeing that Romano and Giesler both got time there over the summer. The situation here will be interesting to see unfold, unless we find a major transfer.

At pitcher, I believe it will be McGuire, Carwile, and Finateri with Samol as the weekday guy. And I expect Finley and Hill to be the main guys out of the pen closing down games.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
I was going to make a post-draft predictions thread for starters, but I'll just post mine here.

There is definitely going to be a lot of competition and the main spots will be at Catcher and MIF.

I'm going to say that we'll lineup with an outfield of Lovett, Deleo, and Reid with maybe Prince in a platoon with Lovett. I think the infield will be Compton, Romano, Campbell, and Sabathia. I hate to leave Jackson off of the infield starters, but I think Romano and Campbell are both going to be studs. Romano could also be DH, but Diamant and Stanford could both push for that spot since I think they could both be used out of the pen and are blocked at positions right now.

Catcher is the biggest mystery to me for the first time in a long time. We only have Jolley coming in as a freshman and I haven't seen any news on a transfer. Rubenstein's status is also unclear and I remember seeing that Romano and Giesler both got time there over the summer. The situation here will be interesting to see unfold, unless we find a major transfer.

At pitcher, I believe it will be McGuire, Carwile, and Finateri with Samol as the weekday guy. And I expect Finley and Hill to be the main guys out of the pen closing down games.
I think Stanford starts in the outfield which moves Reid to DH. I would put Medich in the weekend rotation if he has another year unless Finateri has overcome his control issues over the summer. I agree with all of the infield spots unless one of the freshmen come out of nowhere to take a job.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I think Stanford starts in the outfield which moves Reid to DH. I would put Medich in the weekend rotation if he has another year unless Finateri has overcome his control issues over the summer. I agree with all of the infield spots unless one of the freshmen come out of nowhere to take a job.
I'm curious as to how we use Stanford. On the draft boards I saw he was listed as a pitcher. If he thinks his future is on the mound, we might just use him there.

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Medich has no more eligibility. Rubenstein and Mannely will both return. Bartnicki has a year left not sure whether he is coming back. And we picked up an extremely solid proven first baseman from Wofford. His numbers over the years at Wofford are very good. Also, the junior college pick up of Busse is supposedly another really good piece for our pitching. Lots of questions to be answered.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Medich has no more eligibility. Rubenstein and Mannely will both return. Bartnicki has a year left not sure whether he is coming back. And we picked up an extremely solid proven first baseman from Wofford. His numbers over the years at Wofford are very good. Also, the junior college pick up of Busse is supposedly another really good piece for our pitching. Lots of questions to be answered.
Rubenstein returning is huge. I really like the way he played when he had the opportunity last year.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

I thought the 5 year clock was for a D1 school. Medich spent the first three years at a D3 school. But as old as he is (born 1998), I don't think he'll be coming back either and take him off.
1659871060071.png

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Correct Nuke Medich is moving on. Looks like four pick ups in the portal. Two pitchers a catcher and a first baseman. Compton Reid DeLeo Jackson Geisler and Rubinstein return. Hopefully the returning young pitchers and position players take the next step in their development. Hopefully the older returning pitchers come back healthy and ready to roll. Add in the incoming players and we are a headed toward the new season. I don’t think we will be high on any publication’s radar, but maybe we can finish there.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm curious as to how we use Stanford. On the draft boards I saw he was listed as a pitcher. If he thinks his future is on the mound, we might just use him there.
Maybe he could be used like Tristan English. I'm told the kid is a pretty strong hitter at 6'4". Regardless, it's nice to have options.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Correct Nuke Medich is moving on. Looks like four pick ups in the portal. Two pitchers a catcher and a first baseman. Compton Reid DeLeo Jackson Geisler and Rubinstein return. Hopefully the returning young pitchers and position players take the next step in their development. Hopefully the older returning pitchers come back healthy and ready to roll. Add in the incoming players and we are a headed toward the new season. I don’t think we will be high on any publication’s radar, but maybe we can finish there.
Plus a nice commit yesterday from a 2023 catcher/outfielder Nathanael Coupet out of Boynton Beach, FL. Looks like another power hitter in our future.

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
Always fun to play this game. Here's the big picture from my standpoint. Of course this doesn't take into account people developing more than we've seen from them before or freshmen that surprise when they get to campus. Also, I will not list people like Bartnicki, Crawford, Roedig that may technically have eligibility left but have been honored on Senior Day and wouldn't seem likely to be back.

Offense:
-C - 3 people including new transfer Smith fighting for playing time
-8 spots to be filled by others:
Reid, Compton, Deleo, Campbell would seem to be daily locks in the lineup

-That leaves a bunch fighting daily for 4 spots. I would include that group as:
Romano, Jackson, Lovett, Geisler, Prince, Dempsey (transfer), Stanford, Sabathia. Other freshmen possible as well.

Pitching:
-Starters would seem to be:
Mcguire, Finateri, Carwile, possibly freshmen of Samol and Schmolke
-Back end of bullpen to be:
Finley, Brown, Hill
-Middle/long relief:
D. Smith, Siegal, Mannelly, Busse, other freshmen that are able to contribute.

As stated above, that's not going to be a preseason Omaha predicted team but could certainly show well if good development is shown from the freshmen and sophomore. And I think it could be in really good shape again by 2024.