2021 Baseball Season

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Different from the Schedule so I figured I'd start this thread.

in case it required a membership....3 ACC teams in the write up

Georgia Tech

The Yellow Jackets feature one of the more unique rosters entering this spring given the trio of established returnees, second year players who got significant playing time in 2020, and talented newcomers to make a cohesive squad. They lost a couple of contributors to the five round draft but the returnees are headlined by Luke Waddell and Brant Hurter on the offense and pitching staff, respectively. Waddell is one of the more polished and complete offensive producers in the sport while the return of Hurter, who missed the 2020 campaign, gives them a qualified ACC arm to potentially start on Friday nights.

Expect the trio of returnees on the mound of Cort Roedig, Luke Bartnicki, and Andy Archer to be other competitors for big innings. Roedig is likely their top draft arm and was up to 97 mph this fall while Bartnicki is an uncomfortable low-90s lefty and Archer has been into the mid-90s himself. Jackson Finley was one of the stars of the fall with big time power and a 94-96 mph heater on the bump as he could be in store for a breakout. Dalton Smith, Sam Crawford, and Hugh Chapman will be relied on for significant innings while prized recruit Marquis Grissom Jr had a big fall too and, given his pitchability and big arm, could see big innings right away. Zach Maxwell is the x-factor as he’s got explosive, upper-90s stuff and a swing-and-miss slider as he continues to develop his mound presence.

The middle of the lineup combination of Stephen Reid, Andrew Compton, and Andrew Jenkins have massive power upside. Reid should fill the Baron Radcliff role from a year ago while Jenkins and Compton have been consummate performers dating back to high school with polished hit-power skill sets. Colin Hall and Tres Gonzalez are two returnees who made significant strides and both have played themselves into seeing a large number of at-bats. Vanderbilt transfers Chance Huff, a righthanded pitcher, and Justyn-Henry Malloy, a corner infielder, both figure to see time in their first years at Georgia Tech while the freshman duo of Kevin Parada and Jake Deleo have a chance to be special. Parada has star potential from an offensive standpoint and will split time with Jake Holland behind the plate and Deleo joins a crowded outfield group.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Louisville

With perennial championship hopes, the Cardinals look positively loaded once again and it starts with the impact offensive core they have returning in 2020. Alex Binelas is the headliner and he really turned it on toward the end of the fall as he missed the 2020 campaign with injury and currently projects as a potential first-rounder. The feel for contact, high exit velocities and power potential tell the story, while the return of Lucas Dunn can also not be understated. Henry Davis and Levi Usher also figure to be high draft picks, as Henry has a hose to go along with the ability to drive the ball both ways. Usher is a potential star in the making given the former PG All-American’s freaky tools, and he’s really improved in terms of his pitch selection and contact rate.

Senior Luke Smith is the only returning rotation starter from a year ago so there’s a good amount of innings up for grabs. Two guys who look like they’ll slot in nicely are former closer Michael Kirian and physical righty Glenn Albanese. Kirian has about as sparkling of numbers as you can have and really responded well this fall to being stretched out as a starter. Albanese made a big jump in terms of stuff as he pounded the zone with three pitches and worked into the mid-90s. Jack Perkins might have the best stuff on the staff and showed some improvement in terms of command while Carter Lohman also made some strides and figures for innings. Michael Prosecky made a bit of a velocity jump and should be in the starting mix while other arms poised for innings include Evan Webster along with junior college transfers Cameron Robinson and Luke Seed. Tate Kuehner offers some intrigue, as do freshmen arms Benjamin Wiegman and Riley Phillips, as both have shown low-90s fastballs and competitiveness.

Luke Brown is another returnee that should balance out the offense, as the outfielder likely garners draft looks while Dalton Rushing really hit his way into a significant role as he has a smooth swing and improved athleticism. Ben Metzinger took advantage of at-bats last spring while the group of Tim Borden, Logan Beard, Jack Payton, and Christian Knapczyk are all in the mix for time in the lineup. Tyeler Hawkins offers game changing speed in the outfield and junior college transfer Cooper Bowman is another good runner who can really defend. Jared Poland is one of the better two-way players in the country as there’s a real chance he can serve a swingman role as a starting infielder and come in to close games in the ninth.

North Carolina

The Tar Heels finish 2020 and head into next spring with two key strengths - the depth of their arms and their chance to be a very impressive defensive team. Experience immediately comes to mind when looking at the pitching staff as every pitcher who started a game returns. Joey Lancellotti figures to be the ace of this staff following his performance in that role in 2020, equipped with a mid-90s fastball and a power slider. The group of Max Alba, Connor Ollio, Will Sandy, and Caden O'Brien should all be in the mix for significant innings come next spring while the newcomers to the program have also been impressive. Max Carlson is an extremely polished true freshman who really had a dominant fall while the 6-foot-8 Tanner Quick has a big arm and massive upside. Fellow freshman Nick James has also made a velocity jump and figures to be a tough at-bat given a potential mid-90s fastball from a low slot lefty.

The offense loses Aaron Sabato to the pros but it returns a massive amount of its production from last season. Danny Serretti is one of their top draft prospects and he’s a consummate example of a traditional, consistent ACC shortstop both from an offensive and defensive perspective. Dylan Harris slots in centerfield again as he’s as surehanded as they come defensively while Caleb Roberts will see time both behind the dish and in the outfield. Eric Grintz is a power bat from the right side while Lancellotti will also see time in the lineup. A couple of transfers had good falls in Davidson graduate Brett Centracchio at first base and junior college transfer Justice Thompson in the outfield. Thompson made massive strides this fall as he’s got exciting tools and the chance to go well in the draft with a big spring.

Some of their young arms were mentioned above but there should be no shortage of chances for their freshman bats either as a number of them really stood out. Tomas Frick showed he’s really got significant offensive potential and may hit his way into the lineup this year. Mac Horvath was another heralded recruit who’s making an impact on the infield while Johnny Castagnozzi and Jack Riedel also had good falls.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Only baseball news (or mention) in the latest Toddcast is in response to a question about fan attendance/capacity at Russ Chandler in 2021. The answer was "no decision" yet. Waiting on quite a few factors before making any announcement.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I signed up for the Blue Jean meeting with Danny Hall on Tuesday. It was like a zoom meeting with Danny and his assistants, each in their home. The meeting lasted an hour and covered a lot.
I am really fired up., and Danny said that fans WILL be allowed into the games.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
I signed up for the Blue Jean meeting with Danny Hall on Tuesday. It was like a zoom meeting with Danny and his assistants, each in their home. The meeting lasted an hour and covered a lot.
Nicely done! Where'd you find out about that meeting?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Merry Christmas ladies & gents!

I couldn't care less about preseason baseball polls. 50 games & a conference tournament is plenty to be "recognized" for actual baseball competence on the field. In fact... being undervalued now is much better than being over-hyped/valued.

That said... here is the ACC in this particular poll.
6 - Miami
11 - Louisville
13 - NC State
14 - Virginia
25 - Clemson
28 - Florida St
34 - Ga Tech
36 - Duke
47 - Notre Dame
Unranked
UNC (received votes)
BC
Pittsburgh
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest

65Jacket

GT Athlete

Georgia Tech

The Yellow Jackets feature one of the more unique rosters entering this spring given the trio of established returnees, second year players who got significant playing time in 2020, and talented newcomers to make a cohesive squad. They lost a couple of contributors to the five round draft but the returnees are headlined by Luke Waddell and Brant Hurter on the offense and pitching staff, respectively. Waddell is one of the more polished and complete offensive producers in the sport while the return of Hurter, who missed the 2020 campaign, gives them a qualified ACC arm to potentially start on Friday nights.

Expect the trio of returnees on the mound of Cort Roedig, Luke Bartnicki, and Andy Archer to be other competitors for big innings. Roedig is likely their top draft arm and was up to 97 mph this fall while Bartnicki is an uncomfortable low-90s lefty and Archer has been into the mid-90s himself. Jackson Finley was one of the stars of the fall with big time power and a 94-96 mph heater on the bump as he could be in store for a breakout. Dalton Smith, Sam Crawford, and Hugh Chapman will be relied on for significant innings while prized recruit Marquis Grissom Jr had a big fall too and, given his pitchability and big arm, could see big innings right away. Zach Maxwell is the x-factor as he’s got explosive, upper-90s stuff and a swing-and-miss slider as he continues to develop his mound presence.

The middle of the lineup combination of Stephen Reid, Andrew Compton, and Andrew Jenkins have massive power upside. Reid should fill the Baron Radcliff role from a year ago while Jenkins and Compton have been consummate performers dating back to high school with polished hit-power skill sets. Colin Hall and Tres Gonzalez are two returnees who made significant strides and both have played themselves into seeing a large number of at-bats. Vanderbilt transfers Chance Huff, a righthanded pitcher, and Justyn-Henry Malloy, a corner infielder, both figure to see time in their first years at Georgia Tech while the freshman duo of Kevin Parada and Jake Deleo have a chance to be special. Parada has star potential from an offensive standpoint and will split time with Jake Holland behind the plate and Deleo joins a crowded outfield group.

65Jacket

GT Athlete

Georgia Tech

This is a big part of the same things that were discussed on the BlueJean meeting that I saw on Tuesday.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
I signed up for the meeting as well, but got held up at work later than I had hoped and forgot about it. If you're fired up, I'm fired up!

Deleted member 2897

Merry Christmas ladies & gents!

I couldn't care less about preseason baseball polls. 50 games & a conference tournament is plenty to be "recognized" for actual baseball competence on the field. In fact... being undervalued now is much better than being over-hyped/valued.

That said... here is the ACC in this particular poll.
6 - Miami
11 - Louisville
13 - NC State
14 - Virginia
25 - Clemson
28 - Florida St
34 - Ga Tech
36 - Duke
47 - Notre Dame
Unranked
UNC (received votes)
BC
Pittsburgh
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest

Bizarre. We were ranked #19 in the latest poll I saw.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Bizarre. We were ranked #19 in the latest poll I saw.
Sipping on a particularly bitter cup of "tough love" this morning....

As far as I'm concerned Ga Tech is tied for last in D1 with 300-ish other teams. Show me! Could not care less about rankings right now. The talent level across college baseball (and in ACC) took a step up due to impacts of virus on eligibility AND short draft. Go Jackets! Cannot wait for actual results to reveal the deal.