2021 Baseball Season

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
I know you don't represent D1Baseball, but that doesn't seem to explain Ole Miss and Arkansas vaulting Louisville in week 1. I doubt us our Louisville will be given the same credit if we win over a top opponent this weekend while Arkansas has a cupcake on their schedule.
So, Ole Miss & Arkansas played in a tournament in Texas.

Ole Miss was ranked #6 and beat:
#10 TCU
#3 Texas Tech
#9 Texas
Arkansas State (enough said...)

Arkansas was ranked #8, and beat:
#3 Texas Tech
#9 Texas
#10 TCU

Louisville was ranked #5 and beat:
Bellarmine x3 (I have no idea what state this team even plays in, or if they're D1...)

Granted that these were D1 Baseball's rankings, but you want to talk about cupcakes...

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Or NCSU disappearing completely after losing to another Top 15 team. I actually like the way D1B generally looks at weekend series W/Ls rather than weekly records. Frustrated me when I first started following college baseball, but I appreciate the philosophy behind it now.

But in terms of early-season volatility, they seem to pick their 4 or 5 “elite teams” and are reluctant to move them too much regardless of outcomes. And they generally seem to be SEC teams. Do we think Louisville is still sitting Top 5 if they had lost a series to UCF?
NC State also lost to UNC Greensboro 16-13 mid week. Not a good 0-4 showing for NC State. Getting outscored 41-22 on the week. All at home. That pitching staff has some issues to work out. Fortunately, we don't seem to be in that situation this year!

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
NC State also lost to UNC Greensboro 16-13 mid week. Not a good 0-4 showing for NC State. Getting outscored 41-22 on the week. All at home. That pitching staff has some issues to work out. Fortunately, we don't seem to be in that situation this year!
True... & worse... in loss to UNCG, NCST led 7-0 & 12-7 at different points in the game.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
I know you don't represent D1Baseball, but that doesn't seem to explain Ole Miss and Arkansas vaulting Louisville in week 1. I doubt us our Louisville will be given the same credit if we win over a top opponent this weekend while Arkansas has a cupcake on their schedule.

I guess the lesson learned is to start a season in a tournament with top 10 teams. Best case you get vaulted to #1, worst case you drop a couple spots?
Not sure why your last statement was omitted from my last post. Perhaps you updated it while I was crafting my response.

But, YES...

That's why we used to go down to Texas in the 2000 timeframe (Tex years), and play top ranked teams like Rice and Nebraska. Both teams were ranked in the top 15 from what I recall, and we faced pitchers who were potential 1st round draft prospects. That's also why we scheduled a home and home with a program like UCLA. I believe we would have played at UCLA this year, but COVID shut that down. Hopefully we can schedule series like that regularly.

jatchet

Jolly Good Fellow
So, Ole Miss & Arkansas played in a tournament in Texas.

Ole Miss was ranked #6 and beat:
#10 TCU
#3 Texas Tech
#9 Texas
Arkansas State (enough said...)

Arkansas was ranked #8, and beat:
#3 Texas Tech
#9 Texas
#10 TCU

Louisville was ranked #5 and beat:
Bellarmine x3 (I have no idea what state this team even plays in, or if they're D1...)

Granted that these were D1 Baseball's rankings, but you want to talk about cupcakes...

So schedule does help you jump opponents. I'm not trying to argue with you over the rankings, Ole Miss and Arkansas being high right now makes a lot of sense. Just making a point that someone else stated that the narrative seems to change in order to keep the blessed teams at #1.

I guess we'll see how they progress through the season.

jatchet

Jolly Good Fellow
Not sure why your last statement was omitted from my last post. Perhaps you updated it while I was crafting my response.

But, YES...

That's why we used to go down to Texas in the 2000 timeframe (Tex years), and play top ranked teams like Rice and Nebraska. Both teams were ranked in the top 15 from what I recall, and we faced pitchers who were potential 1st round draft prospects. That's also why we scheduled a home and home with a program like UCLA. I believe we would have played at UCLA this year, but COVID shut that down. Hopefully we can schedule series like that regularly.
I edited it last minute. I think you and I are on the same page, minus my ACC glasses. 😎

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Contact tracing with Covid protocols. At least one staff member tested positive, but DBo was not positive. His contact tracing period expires on Friday, so as long as he keeps testing negative he’ll be there

Thank you. It is almost unfair to have him calling the pitches against college kids. The pitchers have to make the pitches, but DBo can live rent free in the batter's minds. Plus DBo knows exactly what our pitchers can and can't do. I don't think this is the reason we couldn't throw strikes Wednesday, but his presence has to lead to confidence.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Thank you. It is almost unfair to have him calling the pitches against college kids. The pitchers have to make the pitches, but DBo can live rent free in the batter's minds. Plus DBo knows exactly what our pitchers can and can't do. I don't think this is the reason we couldn't throw strikes Wednesday, but his presence has to lead to confidence.
Couldn't they zoom him in to call pitches???

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If so... then I'd lobby for @GTNavyNuke to zoom in with pitching change decisions.

...careful what you wish for. 😉

OK, I only made a big deal out of one lack of pitching change in the Ga State debacle. Thought that Roedig should have been pulled earlier ........ care to disagree :cautious:

But do we have the line-up for chat - @CINCYMETJACKET calls the pitches, @FredJacket calls the hitting and I call the pitching changes. Need someone to kibitz on the rotation - maybe @gtrower ?

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
OK, I only made a big deal out of one lack of pitching change in the Ga State debacle. Thought that Roedig should have been pulled earlier ........ care to disagree :cautious:

But do we have the line-up for chat - @CINCYMETJACKET calls the pitches, @FredJacket calls the hitting and I call the pitching changes. Need someone to kibitz on the rotation - maybe @gtrower ?

now-getting-somewhere.gif

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer

Ok... perhaps we need to "calibrate" our positions on this. Based on 'history' on this... (history = my less than objective or comprehensive memory). I would say as a 'general rule' @GTNavyNuke ...your hook is a little quicker than mine would be....but probably not much and certainly more aligned now that we have so many options. In many cases, I'm right there with you.

Now... this most recent example (Roedig v Ga State), I'd have to go back to the transcript; but real time... I think had Roedig been replaced when you called for it, there would have had to have been someone up in the pen before he was done with the 1st batter. I consider that a little unrealistic. On the other hand, using hindsight... he should have been replaced BEFORE you called for it.

...and another calibration required regarding bunting. @MWBATL I have evolved on bunting over my lifetime. Back in Jim Morris's days (when I was a student), the game was different and small ball was something Ga Tech excelled at...it was pretty awesome to watch. I've always been an old man trapped in a young man's body. These days the curves are converging.. but I digress. As such, I am SLOW to change. So... as the game changed I was still screaming small ball when that was no longer the optimum way to score runs. In the last few years, I've come around. I see no reason to bunt until very late in games (last 2-3 innings) and in pretty specific situations. Now... having said that, I do still love a well-executed bunt (for a hit).

OK... I'll calibration complete. Go Jackets!!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Ok... perhaps we need to "calibrate" our positions on this. Based on 'history' on this... (history = my less than objective or comprehensive memory). I would say as a 'general rule' @GTNavyNuke ...your hook is a little quicker than mine would be....but probably not much and certainly more aligned now that we have so many options. In many cases, I'm right there with you.

Now... this most recent example (Roedig v Ga State), I'd have to go back to the transcript; but real time... I think had Roedig been replaced when you called for it, there would have had to have been someone up in the pen before he was done with the 1st batter. I consider that a little unrealistic. On the other hand, using hindsight... he should have been replaced BEFORE you called for it.

...and another calibration required regarding bunting. @MWBATL I have evolved on bunting over my lifetime. Back in Jim Morris's days (when I was a student), the game was different and small ball was something Ga Tech excelled at...it was pretty awesome to watch. I've always been an old man trapped in a young man's body. These days the curves are converging.. but I digress. As such, I am SLOW to change. So... as the game changed I was still screaming small ball when that was no longer the optimum way to score runs. In the last few years, I've come around. I see no reason to bunt until very late in games (last 2-3 innings) and in pretty specific situations. Now... having said that, I do still love a well-executed bunt (for a hit).

OK... I'll calibration complete. Go Jackets!!

I say a lot in chat that I won't say here since it goes away. Anyway, listening to the game, I was starting to say Roedig should be pulled after the second hitter, HR. After the double I was convinced. After the hit batter I was really pissed ........ and it wasn't till then that someone was even starting to poke around in the pen. The FO on the fifth hitter was deep, warning track type as I recall. 6 batters, one out. One can argue that Roedig was throwing strikes, but what Jim Poole was indicating was that the strikes didn't have a lot of movement. After Roedig was pulled, I started drinking and gave up trying to work.

But with DBo out, I understand the slow hook better now. I didn't know he was out then. DBo probably would have pulled after 4th hitter.

But yeah, with the number of pitchers we have, we should and are using them much more than we have in the past.

1614965955190.png