2021 and 2022 opponents added

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I get it. Schedule some lesser teams. But ...

In West Georgia, Tech is completely irrelevant. There was a time Tech recruited Newnan, LaGrange and Columbus. Now? That’s Auburn country.

We’re in the ACC, but that’s irrelevant to recruiting HERE.

I’m tired of playing Alcorn State, Gardner Webb, and Our Lady of Perpetual Mercy. Let’s play Vandy. And Auburn. And Tennessee.

Regional relevance matters.

By the same token, they don't play us, either. It's Auburn country because they've been top ten and we haven't. I honestly think we need to recruit more nationally, but we've hashed through all that before. I'd like to play Auburn, myself, but there's only so much room on the schedule, unless you want to make it a lot tougher than it already is. Ah, the good old days - UT, Alabama, Auburn, Florida - I miss them, but we've moved on. Now and again we still play Auburn, 2003 and 2005 - whipped them both times.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
By the same token, they don't play us, either. It's Auburn country because they've been top ten and we haven't. I honestly think we need to recruit more nationally, but we've hashed through all that before. I'd like to play Auburn, myself, but there's only so much room on the schedule, unless you want to make it a lot tougher than it already is. Ah, the good old days - UT, Alabama, Auburn, Florida - I miss them, but we've moved on. Now and again we still play Auburn, 2003 and 2005 - whipped them both times.

Yes. I want a tougher schedule. NCAA attendance studies show that the top 3 factors that drive fan engagement are rural vs. urban, density of the fan base, and finally, attractiveness of the schedule.

Playing better quality opponents matter.

From the folks I’ve talked to, they can’t remember the last time a Tech coach was in this area. Auburn used to have Wreck Tech parades. No more.

We’re not a factor in our own back yard.

Enough venting. Game Day is tomorrow.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Yes. I want a tougher schedule. NCAA attendance studies show that the top 3 factors that drive fan engagement are rural vs. urban, density of the fan base, and finally, attractiveness of the schedule.

Playing better quality opponents matter.

From the folks I’ve talked to, they can’t remember the last time a Tech coach was in this area. Auburn used to have Wreck Tech parades. No more.

We’re not a factor in our own back yard.

Enough venting. Game Day is tomorrow.

I know I might be a minority of one, but I wish Tech could have made it as an independent. It afforded us plenty of room on the schedule for our regional rivalries (Auburn, Ugag, and Clemson every year plus Tennessee, Alabama, and Florida every other), as well as national scheduling (Penn State, USC, Notre Dame, etc.) We could have had the best of both worlds - recruiting regionally and nationally as well. I understand well why we took the opportunity at our low point to take refuge in the ACC, but I wish we could have made it as an independent. Theoretically, it had some big advantages.